Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

They only look like baby pandas.

These little bundles of joy are actually chow chow dogs that have been dyed black-and-white to look like pandas.

Dyeing pets has been a trend in pet pampering for quite some time. At last summer's Pets Show Taipei, there was a fierce dog-dyeing competition. Check out photos.

But dyeing your pets to look like other wild animals is a more recent development.

The trend demonstrates how quickly and dramatically attitudes toward pets — particularly dogs — have changed in many parts of Asia.

Read: Can China censor its leading artists, Ai Weiwei?

In Taiwan, for example, just 10 years ago, dogs were still eaten in public restaurants and raised on farms for that purpose. Traditional Chinese medicine held that so-called "fragrant meat" from dogs could fortify one's health.

Now, eating dog is viewed by many as an embarrassing reminder of a poorer time.

With more money to spend, newly wealthy Chinese have embraced dog-owning culture with a vengeance. Dogs are brought into restaurants, fussed over in public, dressed up in ridiculous outfits and dyed to look like ferocious tigers.

Panda or chow chow? Tiger or retriever? You be the judge:

Posted Image People take the dogs which were painted as baby giant pandas and tigers out during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China. Posted Image A dog is painted as a baby giant panda during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010.

Posted Image

People take the dogs which were painted as baby giant pandas and tigers out during the launch of a new pet park at Dahe Mincui Park on June 5, 2010 in Zhengzhou, Henan Province of China.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#2 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,706 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

At least if they're dyeing them, they're not eating them.

#3 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

#4 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Gotta admit, it looks cool, it would be halarious to see people freak out on the streets.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#5 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Holy hell, that chow chow looks amazing.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#6 Durian

Durian

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sweet ill be sure to dye my dog like a wild animal when i get one XD :P

hi wee trad bobbi luuuu 4 ryan clowne. we gett big depht wingelrs who can [****] kasasian up in fite an kill ben marchandt an duncen keiths we will win with gritti forward yes?

ok butt i already kno mark gillis he taek recomiendation from mee al time. i responsibel for his disisihun to draft sedin ok?

Posted Image

#7 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

2yyb7lj.jpg

#8 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,706 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Seriously though, I don't care for it.

Dogs shed, so their owners are going to have to be redyeing on the regular and seeing these dogs with dye administered so closely to the eyes upsets me.

#9 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Posted Image

:lol: way to sum us up (I agree though)
gotta say that the idea is really cute but really unnecessary at the same time... I mean dogs are dogs... I don't want a "dogger" (dog+tiger) or a... "tog"? (tiger+dog) plus they're naturally cute as they are, so redundant to make them seem like another animal... sometimes I :picard: my own people, and this is one of those cases.

gotta say though,
Posted Image
even though it's morally strange and maybe even harmful to these beautiful creatures, this dog is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!

Edited by MessiNacity10, 06 June 2012 - 10:14 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

As bad as an idea it is, the Panda dogs don't look too bad, but the Tiger dog just looks plain stupid.
Posted Image

#11 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Both of my dogs go invisable at dark due to their coloring. I'm thinking glow in the dark. Should I warn the wife or let her find out herself.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#12 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image

#13 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Now if they could just make sharks look like dogs, whales look like pandas and dolphins look like squirrels...

#14 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Both of my dogs go invisable at dark due to their coloring. I'm thinking glow in the dark. Should I warn the wife or let her find out herself.

let her find out for herself. :lol:

Reminds me of the time I messed with my gf at the time and put glow in the dark powder all over the lawn.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#15 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

It really is unfair that the majority of people with unlimited disposable incomes have no idea what to do with them.

#16 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

LOL. hope it doesn't bother the animals, but that's pretty freaking cool.

#17 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Bugger, that's awesome....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.