The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

Hi guys,

Im just going to state my anger and frustration with all the people saying we need to rebuild, wether it be a massive overhaul, or a "mini-rebuild" as someone has suggested...

Here is the definition of rebuild;

rebuild |rēˈbild|verb ( past and past participle rebuilt |-ˈbilt|) [ with obj. ]

build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed

If a person who regularly watches the Canucks thinks thats what we need to do, they're crazy. What part of our team has been damaged? What part of our team has been destroyed?

Yes, things need to be done... Dealing with the goaltending situation, getting a top 6 forward, and getting a top 4 dman...

but believe me people, 4/5 NHL teams would die to be in the situation we're in.

Columbus needs to rebuild, Carolina needs to rebuild. The Canucks need to add a small amount of players to take us from contender, to champion. This is not rebuilding... it is tweaking.

It honestly pushes me to agitated laughter when I hear people say that we need to rebuild. Say this sentence out loud, "The back to back presidents trophy winners need to rebuild their team for the upcoming season"

It didn't sound very sensible did it?

Happy Posting,

JGM

People want to re-tool, so they don't have to re-build in the future. Rather stay competitive than to be bottom dwellers. For most teams, the core doesn't last a long time because players get injured and/or are no longer able to compete as they once did. Calgary is a team that has been holding too long, to the point that rebuild is the only option but they cannot accept it, and continue getting older thus staying mediocre by being able to spend money, only to be fighting for their lives in the last few regular season games to try to clinch the final few playoff spots but have no chance against cup contenders. Therefore are unable to draft highly touted prospects and continue on being average with no identity. Until, the team is dead in the waters and decides that it's time to rebuild. It's already too late, as the re-build process will take a decade because there would be no assets available for them to make the necessary adjustments.

San Jose is a team on verge to rebuild as their core players are only getting older and worse. Although a very talented group, have never won a cup and have lost all their assets in attempts to get the current core to where they want to be. Now they have about a 2-3 year timeline until they will have to go through a rebuild process if they decide not to do anything. In retrospect, Patrick Marleau has been part of the core for over 10 years. In 2-3 years, Marleau will be 35 and will unlikely be able to perform at a high level. Then a rebuild will be in play for 5-10 years depending on luck. That is potentially 20+ years lost.

Can you imagine the Canuck's who have been without a cup in the past 40+ years having to wait another 10-20 years for another shot at the big prize? Don't you wish the Canucks would at least win 1 cup in your life time? Can you all be that patient? If something isn't working. Fix it or suffer the consequences.

BTW, I feel that this answers your question but in no way, have i given any sort of opinion of mine, whatsoever on the topic of whether to rebuild or not.

Guest BuckFoston

why do people think we need to rebuild? cause lots of people are incredibly stupid and know nothing about hockey. aka half the canuck fanbase

Seriously, All you need is the hottest goaltender in hockey.

Any juggernaut you build will be brought down by epic goaltending.

Every upset in history was because of ....

A hot goaltender.

How do you insure you have a goalie that can do this?

Im not sure, but Luongo cant.

like Rey said, I think it's re-tooling more than anything... no need to rebuild when many mainstays are effective players:

Twins - Booth

Burr - Kes -

Higgins - - Hansen

Manny - Lapierre - Bitz/ Kassian/ Wiese

Hammer - Bieksa

Edler -

Ballard - Tanev

*Lu

Schneider

that said, SOME changes and additions/ improvements do need to be made

I think it has more to do with filling the holes on our roster and dumping some of the access salary we may not need moving forward.

i.e.: We have an abundance of top 6 forwards without actually having any impactful top 6 forwards. Kesler, Higgins, and Burrows have establishd themselves as all around skilled, gritty, and impactful players. Booth and Raymond have not.

Second, we have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards which has actually acted to detract from the cohesiveness and consistency of our 3rd and 4th lines.

i.e.: Manny is a solid 3rd line center, but sucks as a 4th line winger. Our 4th line was most effective with Lapierre, Weise and Volpatti but both Weise and Volpatti have contracts that are more easily moveable than say a struggling Malhotra, Raymond, or Kassian (Volpatti and Bitz can be sent down to AHL, Manny cannot). As a result we have several players in roles they are not well-suited for and the team's consistency suffers as a result. The 4th line is more than just a line for players not good enough to play in the top 9. Placing a struggling Raymond, Kassian and Malhotra on the 4th line completely ruins the dynamic of a line that is needed to play a tight checking, energetic game. Especially since Raymond is too small and not physical enough to play this role, Kassian is not NHL ready, and Malhotra is too skilled and not physical enough to play this role.

The minor tweeks we need should involve dumping the players we don't need or no longer have room for, sending players that don't make the cut down to the AHL, and solidifying our lineup by filling the holes in our roster (top 6 forward, top 4 D, consistent and effective 4th line from which to base the rest of our lineup around).

Daniel-Henrik-Hole 1

Hole 2-Kesler-Hole 3

Higgins-Pahlsson/Malhotra-Hansen

Volpatti/Duco-Lapierre-Weise/Bitz

The 3 holes we have are up for grabs between: Burrows, Booth, and Raymond. Burrows fits anywhere in the lineup and is effective regardless though a certified top 3 RW would be nice (though not necessarily needed), Booth can only play as a top 6 forward effectively, and Raymond can really only play LW on the second line effectively (debatable as to how effective). The problem is neither Booth nor Raymond has stood out and free agency may bring something better to the lineup. We also only need either Pahlsson OR Malhotra. We don't have room for both unless one is a healthy scratch when the other plays. Neither plays the wing overly well and neither can play on the 4th line very well.

Tough decisions ahead. Does MG use free agency to fill these holes or does he wait and see what a new season brings? The Canucks problems is that we have an abundance of assets that we have been unwilling to give up. As a result, we are cap-strapped and almost completely paralyzed to make any significant move.

I personally would let Raymond walk, trade Gragnani, and either let Pahlsson walk or trade Malhotra.

It's a tough call but it comes down to which player will fill the role as a 3rd line defensive center better and which could bring the team to the Cup in that role. Booth still has potential to establish himself as our staple 2nd line LW, leaving Burrows to either play RW on the 1st or 2nd line, and a signed free agent to fill the other RW position.

The chemistry of all lines aside from these holes is undeniable. But with Kesler out until at least November, there are even more tough decisions ahead. As of right now the entire 2nd line is non-existent and still up for grabs.

I'll be honest with you. If this team stays like this we will be be golfing in April again. It is claer that we need a combination of skill and grit to win. Kassian needs to play nasty and we need to acquire some big bodies upfront along with a tough ass d-man. Regular season means nothing, it's all about the playoffs.

Basically we need to retool and tell AV to let his players do their thing on the ice.

I think we just need to add a few pieces here and there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Here's what I came up with:

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

MacArthur - Grigorenko - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Cody Franson + Clarke MacArthur + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 1st

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2013 2nd

------------------------------

To Vancouver: JVR + Jakub Voracek

To Philly: David Booth + 2012 1st (26th overall) + 2013 1st + Kevin Connauton + Cody Franson

-----------------------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 4th overall pick

To NY Islanders: Jakub Voracek + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 2nd

-----------------------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd overall pick + 2012 2nd round pick (32nd)

To Columbus: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard + Manny Malhotra

At the draft:

1st overall: (Edm) Ryan Murray

2nd overall: (Van from Cbj) Nail Yakupov

3rd overall: (Mtl) Alex Galchenyuk

4th overall: (Van from Nyi) Mikhail Grigorenko

5th overall: (Nyi from Van from Tor) Filip Forsberg

Forsberg - Tavares - Voracek will be lethal in 2-3 years

We do have some of the most annoying fans. Sometimes i think have the people on here are fans of other teams like Chicago and Calgary just trying to piss off Canucks fans or making us look like douches.

At every comment section on the NHL page, a Canuck fan is out there trolling and pissing off people.

I do think we have the pieces needed to win a Cup but seeing teams like the Kings make big deals and simply blast their way to the Finals is frustrating. Especially since we have been so dominant in the regular season and how far we went last year.

Archived