The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

I think we just need to add a few pieces here and there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Here's what I came up with:

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

MacArthur - Grigorenko - Higgins

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Cody Franson + Clarke MacArthur + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 1st

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2013 2nd

------------------------------

To Vancouver: JVR + Jakub Voracek

To Philly: David Booth + 2012 1st (26th overall) + 2013 1st + Kevin Connauton + Cody Franson

-----------------------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 4th overall pick

To NY Islanders: Jakub Voracek + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 2nd

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd overall pick + 2012 2nd round pick (32nd)

To Columbus: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard + Manny Malhotra

At the draft:

1st overall: (Edm) Ryan Murray

2nd overall: (Van from Cbj) Nail Yakupov

3rd overall: (Mtl) Alex Galchenyuk

4th overall: (Van from Nyi) Mikhail Grigorenko

5th overall: (Nyi from Van from Tor) Filip Forsberg

Forsberg - Tavares - Voracek will be lethal in 2-3 years

I find it ironic that at the end of your post you say "Happy posting", meanwhile you just posted in anger as you said.

Seriously though, I don't think the team needs a rebuild. The team needs 1-3 players to fill in a role. They need a 2nd line player and a top defender. A crushing kind of defenseman like Shea Weber or Willie Mitchell.

Kesler and Booth seem to be finding some kind of chemistry for themselves on that 2nd line, but every other player that gets put in there is just basically trying to fill the role. Most of which are 3rd liners that are trying to be a scorer.

Higgins is more of a checker and he's great at it, Raymond was hopeful as a scorer but has grooved into a 3rd/4th liner. He's good at taking back the puck. Hansen stays put on the 3rd.

The thing that worries me is Kesler not being able to play at the beginning of next year. A guy like Schroeder or somebody will be filling in that 2nd line. When Kesler gets back he is going to need to gain that chemistry back.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Cody Franson + Clarke MacArthur + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 1st

To Philly: David Booth + 2012 1st (26th overall) + 2013 1st + Kevin Connauton + Cody Franson

At the draft:

Seriously, All you need is the hottest goaltender in hockey.

Any juggernaut you build will be brought down by epic goaltending.

Every upset in history was because of ....

A hot goaltender.

How do you insure you have a goalie that can do this?

Im not sure, but Luongo cant.

Maybe not a rebuild by your "definition", but it needs to be rebuilt or re-tooled.

Our top 6 is arranged stupidly with third liners and difficult combinations and we are becoming predictable. Our second line is horrendous, AV has a million secondary options but no real clear cut options for that line. Our defence has no number one guy, well Hamhuis is awesome, but beyond that our actual ability to play defence sucks big time. We have another 3 mediocre players in Edler, Bieksa, and Ballard but they make a combined 12.2 mil ... tragic. We need some higher end talent on a cap team. We need to lose the depth, take decision making out of AV's hands, and aquire higher skilled players that have a definite place on the team, i.e., someone that's penciled into the second line wing postion .. not take your pick of Higgins, Raymond, Kassian, Hansen, blah, blah, blah.

And it seems to have worked out well for them, Giroux emerged as one of the best players in the world, they have a core of younger players that will grow and get alot better (Voracek, Couturier, Schenn, JVR, Simmonds, So on).

every team in the league is always trying to get better, even the stanley cup champs. We need a couple parts just to stay at par with what we have accomplished in the regular season. we need a little different chemistry that makes this teas tougher to win the cup. we need size up front without giving up skill. NJ and La doesnt have a better d than we do. NJ doesnt even have as good goaltending as we do. Big agressive skilled forwards who backcheck and help out there d seem to be in need.

We need a rebuild because we do not have players who can step up when one player is out with a concussion, we do not have players that can step up when we are down 3 games to none in the SCPOs, we do not have a decent defensive core that can rip one from the blue line but can wrist the hell out of shin pads, We do not have players with confidence to rip a one timer from a one timer pass, but need to stop the puck and then rip it. I could go on!

First of all a lot of the re build posts are just for fun. I don`t think anyone seriously believes we need to trade the Sedins or rip apart our defense and start over. That truly would be stupid. But the Armchair GMing section does allow for fans to use their imaginations to hypithetically make trades and set up lines. It`s all for fun. Personally I think people like u take it way too seriously.

Secondly, some of us long time fans who have lived and breathed Canucks hockey since the early days may not be used to the success we`ve enjoyed over the past few seasons and want to win a cup so bad that they are impatient and don`t know what needs to be done to get over the hump. I feel our core is obviously solid. What we need to do is find a supporting cast that enhances what we already have.

I see a lot of people drooling over Zach Parise and Shea Weber. While these would be great additions, I don`t think they are necessary.

Yes, Kesler had a so-so season last year, but he is far from being a has been. We all know what makes Kesler successful. When he`s at his best, he`s chippy and plays with grit. When he plays with an attitude, his game elevates. He loves to shoot the puck and get under the goalies skin. MG needs to find a player who passes first and shoots later and demands a lot of attention from opposing defenses. Much like Henrick. Also, eliminating the diving element would go a long way to regaining his success. It`s beneath him.

Lastly, I do think our fans need to learn patience and appreciate our team. I think they are just as frustrated as we are about coming up short when everyone knows they are so close. MG knows what he has to do and will get it done. When we win the cup it will be one of the greatest times the city has ever witnessed. I just hope the fans keep the fire in their hearts and not in the streets.

I don't see many on here saying re-build, i see alot of people (including myself) saying that this team needs to be re-tooled, meaning that it seem as though this team has lost some of its identity as a strong defensive team with explosive scoring talent. Some of the pieces need to be moved in order for the team to move past pres trophy winners to cup winners which is every team's goal in the NHL, honestly i could care less if this team were to win another pres trophy, I WANT THE CUP!!!!!!!

It is the only trophy that matters in hockey, every team in the NHL gauges their sucsses (typo) on that Cup, This team has been great for the past five years, a true contender, but not a winner, some thing is obviously a miss so yes there has to be some changes, and those changes are obvious!

1.) Goal tending, is it Luo or Cory?

2.) Defence, there are some huge gaps, who will fill those gaps, will it be another usless FA or will MG actually go after some one worth while like Weber?

3.) Offence, we now have a lack of scoring, again same as above, will MG go after another Rhienprect or Ebbet type player or some one worth while like Parise?

4.) Some players like Kes have derailed, can they be put back on track or wil they have to be moved?

5.) Coaching, I know MG resigned AV for two more years but will AV adapt his coaching style to the types of players that MG gives him? Or will the players be able to adapt to AV? So far it has brought reg season domination, but not in the playoffs, AV can't seem to get that extra effort out of his players required to take this team to the promise land!

6.) The fans, Wil we get behind our team in a possative manner or will we continue to bash our team, until certain players want out of here?

I would say these are some huge legitimate questions that MG will answer in the off season.

Just my opinion! :rolleyes:

I don't think this team needs to rebuild. It needs a tinker here and there and slowly reload with with proper drafting and developement, while we still have this core in tact. Like Detroit has done for the past 21 years without missing the playoffs.

In your opinion he can't..........If we had done the decent thing and got him a couple of big D's 3 seasons ago we would have 2 SCs by now. The same could be said about acquiring a big top 6 winger to cause havoc around the opposition goalie.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

At the draft:

I haven't seen too many posts regarding a rebuild but MG does have an opportunity to address some of the teams shortcomings.

He has a solid asset in one of the goalies which he can spin into a player or players that make the team better.

Kesler is a shoot first player and needs a play making centre so maybe the answer is to move Kesler up with the Sedins.....problem solved.

Now MG could spin off one of the goalies for a centre to play the 2nd line with Booth.

MG said the team has to get younger and bigger. With that in mind, Raymond should be moved in a package with whichever goalie gets moved. We need to find a player like Brown that plays with an edge and drives to the net.

Archived