The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

In your opinion he can't..........If we had done the decent thing and got him a couple of big D's 3 seasons ago we would have 2 SCs by now. The same could be said about acquiring a big top 6 winger to cause havoc around the opposition goalie.

I think we just need to add a few pieces here and there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Here's what I came up with:

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

MacArthur - Grigorenko - Higgins

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Cody Franson + Clarke MacArthur + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 1st

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2013 2nd

------------------------------

To Vancouver: JVR + Jakub Voracek

To Philly: David Booth + 2012 1st (26th overall) + 2013 1st + Kevin Connauton + Cody Franson

-----------------------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 4th overall pick

To NY Islanders: Jakub Voracek + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 2nd

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd overall pick + 2012 2nd round pick (32nd)

To Columbus: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard + Manny Malhotra

At the draft:

1st overall: (Edm) Ryan Murray

2nd overall: (Van from Cbj) Nail Yakupov

3rd overall: (Mtl) Alex Galchenyuk

4th overall: (Van from Nyi) Mikhail Grigorenko

5th overall: (Nyi from Van from Tor) Filip Forsberg

Forsberg - Tavares - Voracek will be lethal in 2-3 years

we aren't missing any pieces, we just need to either have our entire team get hot going into the playoffs or just have our goalie go on a hotstreak in the playoffs.

The Bruins last year and the Kings this year are perfect examples of how your goalie can take you to the cup. Quick has been ridiculous

we aren't missing any pieces, we just need to either have our entire team get hot going into the playoffs or just have our goalie go on a hotstreak in the playoffs.

The Bruins last year and the Kings this year are perfect examples of how your goalie can take you to the cup. Quick has been ridiculous

I think we just need to add a few pieces here and there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

???? - ???? - Higgins

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

Here's what I came up with:

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Burrows

MacArthur - Grigorenko - Higgins

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Trades:

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Cody Franson + Clarke MacArthur + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 1st

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2013 2nd

------------------------------

To Vancouver: JVR + Jakub Voracek

To Philly: David Booth + 2012 1st (26th overall) + 2013 1st + Kevin Connauton + Cody Franson

To Vancouver: 2012 4th overall pick

To NY Islanders: Jakub Voracek + Nikolai Kulemin + 2012 2nd

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd overall pick + 2012 2nd round pick (32nd)

To Columbus: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard + Manny Malhotra

At the draft:

1st overall: (Edm) Ryan Murray

2nd overall: (Van from Cbj) Nail Yakupov

3rd overall: (Mtl) Alex Galchenyuk

4th overall: (Van from Nyi) Mikhail Grigorenko

5th overall: (Nyi from Van from Tor) Filip Forsberg

Forsberg - Tavares - Voracek will be lethal in 2-3 years

Canucks reason to rebuild is simple .. ive been saying it for a few years now and don cherry has proven my point time and time again this year the team with the most canadian players on the team in the playoffs wins the cup and if we put the amex line together we have 1 canadian in our top 6 that will never win a cup dont get me wrong u need a couple flashy euros that are just pure goal scorers to compliment like bure in 94 but canadians live for it and canadians will die for it a team that has a bunch of candians and is made up of 2nd and 3rd line players for the most part will beat a team like the canucks who has at times and 1a and 1b top 2 lines then a huge dropoff to 3rd and 4th lines our top lines during the reg season are better than most but our bottom 2 lines after the hodgson trade was worst than the teams that go far in the playoffs and also a reason for a rebuild is teams figure you out when nothing changes every team in the league knows just play physical and they have the canucks beat our bottom 2 lines can handle the hitting but are no threat to score or carry the play whatsoever i love these guys they have put up 2 great seasons but things are comming to an end burrows has 1 year left on his bargain of the league contract if he puts up another 25-30 goal year this comming year he wont be resigning cheap again he will probably take off to montreal or quebec who will have a team by then sedins getting older kessler is becoming a bandaid ,the team is running low in the the talent pool , the next couple years edmonton will be getting better same with avs who knows about calgary we have been lucky to play in the least competitive division last 3 or so years with the best team we've iced but its not going to stay like that forever

Chrisbanks I agree, however the reason why the Oilers will be amazing in the next couple of years is because they have used their young guys and developed them, the reason our young talent pool seems so low is beacuse MG and AV do not use our young guys and as a result they do not develope into the players they are expected to! This has to change before we become like the Flames, look at their talent pool, you could easily say what talent pool?

We have some guys that are ready to step in now like Schroeder, Lack, Connaugton, Sweat, sauvet, possibly Grenier, we have good young talent but they never see NHL ice time, this is why this team is teedering on the bring of collapse, we won't need a rebuild this year but in the next couple of years it will happen unless MG gets his draft picks some NHL ice time.

I can prove this by saying look at EDM, Philly, Ottawa, LA, NJ, these teams have developed their draft picks and are now reaping the rewards, THEY NOW HAVE TEAMS THAT ARE POISED TO BE CUP CONTENDERS FOR YEARS TO COME! Our team is in decline!

What do you want to call it, a mini tweek?

We lost 220 lb Samuelsson, 217 lb wrecking ball Torres and effectively 220 lb Malhotra up front. We made up for a lack of size on D by getting to, and moving the puck quickly, but that advantage has been diminished without Erhoff.

There are elements that have not come back together yet. And the hope that Kesler will recover / rebound, perhaps the biggest factor. Call it what you want, we need work and are not as close as we were starting 2010/11.

edit ; but we also have the offseason to spend tweeking... :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

Im just going to state my anger and frustration with all the people saying we need to rebuild, wether it be a massive overhaul, or a "mini-rebuild" as someone has suggested...

Here is the definition of rebuild;

rebuild |rēˈbild|verb ( past and past participle rebuilt |-ˈbilt|) [ with obj. ]

build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed

If a person who regularly watches the Canucks thinks thats what we need to do, they're crazy. What part of our team has been damaged? What part of our team has been destroyed?

Yes, things need to be done... Dealing with the goaltending situation, getting a top 6 forward, and getting a top 4 dman...

but believe me people, 4/5 NHL teams would die to be in the situation we're in.

Columbus needs to rebuild, Carolina needs to rebuild. The Canucks need to add a small amount of players to take us from contender, to champion. This is not rebuilding... it is tweaking.

It honestly pushes me to agitated laughter when I hear people say that we need to rebuild. Say this sentence out loud, "The back to back presidents trophy winners need to rebuild their team for the upcoming season"

It didn't sound very sensible did it?

Happy Posting,

JGM

Do the Canucks need a wholesale rebuild?  No

Do the Canucks need to do something different, so that they are less predictable to the opposition, and can score more goals more readily than having to rely so heavily on a puck cycling game?  Yes

The real issue for the Cancucks is they really need to become more dangerous for other teams to play against.  They need to assert themselves on the ice, and show a greater degree of calculated urgency when the need arises.

On the bright side, in many respects they are a considerably better team than the expected Stanley Cup winners, the LA Kings.  The only reason why the Canucks crashed and burned was a real simple one, they could not score.

With the talent on this team, scoring should not be an issue.  But, we cannot ignore the facts.  It is an issue.  And, whether or not the lack of scoring can be successfully addressed internally, or externally through trades, is only a question that time and the Canucks Management can answer.

But, if I were in a position to make a judgement call, I'd say the team relies too heavily on the Sedin's.  And, I'm not suggesting their role should be diminished in any shape or form.  Rather, the Canucks need to support them by developing, or trading for, a tough-as-nails pair of dangerous sniping forwards who can hit the target, and take some of the pressure off the "D" and the goal tender(s).

Right now, the team has too many light weight, flashy forwards, who look great, but produce little in return.  The time is now to make some difficult decisions, and consider a minor rebuild on the forward lines in order to provide this team with a realistic chance of Stanley Cup glory.

In all honesty at the end of the Canucks's season I really felt we needed to dump AV and look at a mini rebuild until I had a bit of time to let the losses to LA sink in and look at the series again. The Canucks were without their number 1 player for the majority of the series. Take any one of LA's top players out of the series and I am not certain in would have ended in 5. IF (And its a big if) Daniel is healthy for that entire series can anyone honestly say LA takes it in 5?

I do question some of AVs choices (Yes I have been a Raymond hater all year and that won't changes anytime soon - I fail to see where he fits into this lineup) and his choice of screwing with the defensive pairings before the end of the season was not a good one in my opinion. And like it is in every playoffs our power play went south and became a non factor (but again having Daniel out for the first 3 games played a huge factor in it)

So even though i have followed this team for 30+ years for once I am willing to give them a chance to really prove themselves this year but with a short leash. Edler and Kesler really need bounce back seasons and Ballard either needs to be given a chance at a top 4 role or move him for whatever you can get and try and get a top 4 d man. I think its more a matter of a few tweaks then a mini or full rebuild. If it comes to that point then there always is the option of moving Kesler or the Sedins to change the klook of the team. I (like others on here) really wonder what our 4th line would have looked like had guys like Bitz been given more of a chance and others like Pinizotto, Volpatti etc not been injured etc.

I think where people come up with the idea of a rebuild is what Pihiladelphia did with Richards and Carter - and as others have pointed out that type of decision can back fire as the LA Kings have proven with Richards and Carter in their line up. But don't forget that with a team like LA they had to take it on the chin for a while and acquire assets to allow them to make the imporvements they did via trades. I am not sure that even if we wanted to do a mini rebuild we could with the assets we have at the moment prospect-wise.

So to sum up - no rebuild or mini rebuild for this Canuck fan - but I do understand where the theory comes from as no one wants us to end up like the Calgary Flames

This is the key. "One of the best players in the world" doesn't automatically happen. The Oilers will now have three straight #1 draft picks, and yet none of them is likely to turn out as good as Giroux.

So when you have "one of the best players of the world"...in fact, you have a second carbon copy of that player, you're doing well. You just need to surround them with the best team possible.

Back to the Flyers - they're not actually all that great. Exciting? Yeah, sure. But a contender? Not a chance. The only reason they won a round was because they went up against a (better) team whose entire defensive structure from goaltending out completely imploded on them. Once they faced a team whose structure held, they were manhandled.

The only real success Philly has had in the past decade was because of Pronger. Without him, Ducks don't win the cup. Without him, Oilers probably don't win a game in '06 - let alone 15 of them. That guy was a force...too bad about his injury. If we could somehow land "one of the best players in the world" on our D (looking at you, Weber) without touching our key forwards, that would be a coup.

The short answer is that people are astonishingly stupid.

It is almost like people just conveniently forget the trajectory of this team's successes that pretty much started with the WCE peaking and the tweaking that took place up to this point.

The Canucks are how you build a team, sort of. Id say our only weakness (or mystery) is how drafting will go in the time the Twins/Kes are around.

What do you want to call it, a mini tweek?

We lost 220 lb Samuelsson, 217 lb wrecking ball Torres and effectively 220 lb Malhotra up front. We made up for a lack of size on D by getting to, and moving the puck quickly, but that advantage has been diminished without Erhoff.

There are elements that have not come back together yet. And the hope that Kesler will recover / rebound, perhaps the biggest factor. Call it what you want, we need work and are not as close as we were starting 2010/11.

edit ; but we also have the offseason to spend tweeking... :rolleyes:

The Canucks don't need a rebuild. They do need to sign some sizable players though to compete.

The fact that our two largest defenseman are also two of our softest is not good.

Edler may have a wicked shot, and lay out some nasty checks, but his consistency in doing so is absent. He should not be considered a foundational defenseman by any stretch of the imagination.

He made far too many mistakes in the playoffs this year to be considered for a top pairing role anymore. Back passing to Kopitar was not an innocent mistake. It showed that Edler has very little hockey sense when it really counts.

Honestly though, our defence got lucky in the cup run of 2010-2011. That luck ran out once Hamhuis was injured. The defence crumbled shortly thereafter, and it was only thanks to Roberto Luongo that we stayed in that series.

Ballard is unfortunately a product of AV's ridiculously stupid doghouse and since AV (for some reason) was given an extension. Ballard goes.

So, no we don't have to rebuild. Just retool the defence (Leave Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev and sign Salo) and bring in some true defenceman.

You know.. Big, mean, responsible in their own zone.

Having a defenceman who can join the rush is great

Having defenceman that can play positional stay at home defence without leaving the goalie to hang.................priceless.

Archived