The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

Our team last year proved that we don't have that extra grear to win the cup, they also proved it the year before against Boston! The excuse I keep seeing on here is "we were all banged up" BOO HOO!!!

what you people don't think that the Bruins weren't banged up? or that NJ and LA aren't banged up right now? It's the play offs this is what it's all about, you dig deep, suck it up and play!!! I also see on here "we arent deep enough" I call B.S. on that, we have arguably the deepest team in the league in every position, if AV actually used some of our prospects we would be even deeper!

The Sedins are fantastic players and wonderful people, but there determination on the ice in clutch situations is non-existent, I would say take the "C" and give it to Burr, this guy will take van to the cup finals again but this time we will win. He has heart, determination, makes big hits, scores clutch goals, and leads by example, his attitude and will to win will become contageouse to the rest of the team, Hank i am sorry dude but you don't have the qualities it takes to be a captain in the NHL! It takes a little bit more that just being a nice guy.

True leadership is what this team really needs, some fire and some passion, right now this team looks like a bunch of robts, no fire no emotion = no cup!!!!!

We do not need a rebuild!

What we need is a HEALTHY TEAM entering the playoffs!!!!

How do we get that???

IMHO .... by adding a few pieces that are of size, grit and determination, that will fight if needed to protect themselves or a team mate.

getting one of these guys on top4 D and our 2nd offensive line will do much.

We need Iron men to play mean and Nasty Hockey to make up for the finesse players , that get bounced around with impunity and get injured as a result.

Failing that we need a deterent or 2 that can actually play the game, I believe Kassian can grow into this guy and nopw who else??

The Canucks have to look at themselves on two levels - 1. Physically and 2. Mentally.

a - physically, the Canucks need a re-tooling. We just need a few pieces.

b - mentally, the Canucks need to rebuild themselves mentally into a Cup Champion - they don't have the mental fortitude to contend at any level out of the first and second rounds. The Cup Champions work hard every night of the playoffs and they come out to win. Even when they lose, they learn from that and find a way to win.

Right now and since the late 90s, I've seen nothing but a "country-club resort" mentality on this Canucks team. "We'll come here...we can play when we want to, if we have an off-night, we won't be held accountable." This is not the attitude that wins you Stanley Cups. We may just need a few physical pieces: a big defenseman who is good on the puck or two, a power forward type winger who can be solid winger on the first or second line and a good solid backup goalie. We need grinders who'll work day in and day out. But we need to lose the "country club- not accountable" atmosphere. Everyone in the locker room needs to take a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves. "How much am I supposed to contribute so that this team can win it all." If they can't say "100% every night, they need to go and ask for a damned trade!"

We need to rebuild the fanbase before we rebuild the team.

Get some enforcers to clear out the building of all the clowns with free tickets who know nothing but try to assess everything, with someone in net to catch them on the way out.

(This is my way of saying "I agee with you"...at work, having a bad day, so grrr)

You don't need passion eh? Well then tell me which of the captains in Parise and Brown who are in the cup finals by the way do not play with passion and huge heart? The Sedin's play on the boards because in open ice they are not very good, they don't have the speed, and that is just a simple fact!

Yes i agree they do take a pounding, but I don't see them standing up for themselves or any of their other team mates, now having said that which of the two captains still in the play offs doen't stand up for their team mates or themselves, I'll answer that for you......... NEITHER ONE!!!!! they are both the definition of what a NHL team captian is, tough, skilled, pasionate, and willing to do what it takes to win and motivate their teams, I am sorry but I don't see that with Hank, as far as your coment on Burr, he does run his mouth abit at times but that is his pasion comming out, I don't mind seeing my captain take a penalty once in a while for agruing a brutal call, or taking a shot at some one who is trying to take advantage of a star player, or any other team mate for that matter, because thats what your captain does and is suposed to do!!!! Again I don't see that from Hank, and I am not saying that see is weak or not a skilled player, I am just saying that he is not a captain, And I am also not sugesting we trade the sedins because the are most of our offense, they just are not leaders as far a captaincy goes!

"To Vancouver: 2012 2nd overall pick + 2012 2nd round pick (32nd)

To Columbus: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard + Manny Malhotra"

Man, some of your other trades are ridiculous as well, but this one is pure hilarity

If Pronger did not get his bell rung, I bet you would have seen Philly in the final with L.A?

Philly made the move with Richards foremost and Carter also, to clear cap space to sign a goalie.

The Flyers had been a top team for years, and had made the finals. Most experts / pundits cited crappy goal tending as the key reason they had not won. And as Richards / Carter's contracts came into effect it became doubtfull they could retain promising young players in their system for cap reasons. It appeared they would regress!

Instead, they made room for one of the most exciting young talents in the game, Claude Giroux who became a leading MVP candidate. Instead they opened up room for Danny Briere to center the 2knd line, who I take over Richards > He has a 100 points in a 100 play off games. Instead they got rid of quote / unquote locker room cancers.Instead they had cap space to sign hall of famer and instant ticket seller, Jaromir Jagr. Instead they filled up their barn with even more young exciting players (Coutierre, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn...) who will keep them vibrant for years. The trade was a smashing success!

It also opened up the space to get Bryzgalov. Well, they still farked up the goaltender signing! Imagine if we had traded Lou to Philly last year?

If we did this trading Lou I would be thrilled. Its the formula, a young serviceable roster player (Simmonds / Franson) a prospect (Schenn / Colburne) and a pick! For Carter they did even better, another strong young player Voracek, a premium first round pic (8th overall = Couturier) and a third round pick. We could be vibrant for years!

success? from finalist to 2nd round exit? they made themselves worse with their moves, I was baffled with the moves Holmgren (sp.?) made especially since the players in his core that he traded were all young...

Word on the street is that the Canucks might be packaging Alexander Edler, David Booth, and Mason Raymond, and two first round draft picks for Shea Weber.

Weber was brought to arbitration before last year's season by Nashville, and was ousted in the second round. This after Poile goes all out.

The Canucks will not gut the team. That would be stupid.

But they won't start the season without some fairly big changes. No better time to trade than when you might be unloading a goalie already. I hope they keep both for one more season to be honest with you.

Sign Weber and Schultz and receive Luke Schenn or Jake Gardiner back from Toronto in a Luongo trade. Resign Salo.

Hamhuis - Weber

Schenn/Gardiner - Bieksa

Schultz - Salo

Tanev - Gragnani

or

" " sign Garrison and trade Andrew Alberts. Keith Ballard and Manny Malholtra for draft picks and cap space and let Aaron Rome go to make cap space for Schneider. Keeping both goalies.

Garrison - Weber

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Schultz - Salo

Tanev - Gragnani

We would still need a forward to play within the top two lines. Preferably someone quite large to go to the net and free up the Sedinery. Leaving Burrows to play with Kesler.

Who and how?

If Pronger did not get his bell rung, I bet you would have seen Philly in the final with L.A?

Philly made the move with Richards foremost and Carter also, to clear cap space to sign a goalie.

The Flyers had been a top team for years, and had made the finals. Most experts / pundits cited crappy goal tending as the key reason they had not won. And as Richards / Carter's contracts came into effect it became doubtfull they could retain promising young players in their system for cap reasons. It appeared they would regress!

Instead, they made room for one of the most exciting young talents in the game, Claude Giroux who became a leading MVP candidate. Instead they opened up room for Danny Briere to center the 2knd line, who I take over Richards > He has a 100 points in a 100 play off games. Instead they got rid of quote / unquote locker room cancers.Instead they had cap space to sign hall of famer and instant ticket seller, Jaromir Jagr. Instead they filled up their barn with even more young exciting players (Coutierre, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn...) who will keep them vibrant for years. The trade was a smashing success!

It also opened up the space to get Bryzgalov. Well, they still farked up the goaltender signing! Imagine if we had traded Lou to Philly last year?

If we did this trading Lou I would be thrilled. Its the formula, a young serviceable roster player (Simmonds / Franson) a prospect (Schenn / Colburne) and a pick! For Carter they did even better, another strong young player Voracek, a premium first round pic (8th overall = Couturier) and a third round pick. We could be vibrant for years!

Actually it was from 2nd Round Exit to 2nd Round Exit.

They lost to Boston 4 straight the year before, and this year they lost in 5 (Improvement :P)

And Carter and Richards are both 27, yes there young but not as young as they are after the moves: Voracek (22), Simmonds (23), Couturier (19), Schenn (20). Even Giroux is only 24, aswell as having JVR who is 23. Also Giroux couldn't play behing Richardes and Carter forever, he was becoming a Star and he really broke out now that he is the guy that is relied on.

And Yes Carter and Richards have been great in LA (RIchards atleast) But there is no way they could have took Philly to the finals with that Goaltending and the change of scenery really helped Carter. And if Bryz hadn't been a complete bust this year and if he actually played that way he has shown he can, then Philly would have gotten farther than they did.

Although I'm not in favor of doing that to our team.

I don't know what street that word came from, but I don't like deals like that. Edler, Booth, Raymond's rights and a pair of first round picks is more than I would part with for Weber - Edler's outstanding potential is just emerging, we are already looking for a 2nd line winger (right wingers are not exactly in abundance in this year's UFA market - Doan and Parenteau will be costly) - and those two first round picks are too much to let go of - five pieces are simply too much, and on top of that I am not a big fan of gargantuan cap hits like Weber's. I also don't like the idea of bringing in four new blueliners - we would still need two guys to play in the top 6 - unless Kassian or Jensen are ready - which leaves the issue of depth regardless - and alot of assets in addition to Luongo would have been spent. I think it makes more sense to forget Weber, and if trading Luongo, I would much rather have a big prospect center, a young or prospect blueliner, and a roster winger as opposed to a pair of Leafs blueliners. There are alot of UFA defensemen on the market this year and a number of them would no doubt be interested in signing here.

Archived