The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

If Pronger did not get his bell rung, I bet you would have seen Philly in the final with L.A?

Philly made the move with Richards foremost and Carter also, to clear cap space to sign a goalie.

The Flyers had been a top team for years, and had made the finals. Most experts / pundits cited crappy goal tending as the key reason they had not won. And as Richards / Carter's contracts came into effect it became doubtfull they could retain promising young players in their system for cap reasons. It appeared they would regress!

Instead, they made room for one of the most exciting young talents in the game, Claude Giroux who became a leading MVP candidate. Instead they opened up room for Danny Briere to center the 2knd line, who I take over Richards > He has a 100 points in a 100 play off games. Instead they got rid of quote / unquote locker room cancers.Instead they had cap space to sign hall of famer and instant ticket seller, Jaromir Jagr. Instead they filled up their barn with even more young exciting players (Coutierre, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn...) who will keep them vibrant for years. The trade was a smashing success!

It also opened up the space to get Bryzgalov. Well, they still farked up the goaltender signing! Imagine if we had traded Lou to Philly last year?

If we did this trading Lou I would be thrilled. Its the formula, a young serviceable roster player (Simmonds / Franson) a prospect (Schenn / Colburne) and a pick! For Carter they did even better, another strong young player Voracek, a premium first round pic (8th overall = Couturier) and a third round pick. We could be vibrant for years!

Archived