The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the NHL draft lottery system broken?

With the Oilers set to pick 1st in the NHL draft for the 3rd time in a row, lately I've been thinking a lot about the NHL draft system.  Does anyone else think it is backwards for the NHL to reward failure?  Under the current system teams that finish 9th or 10th in their conference are punished for trying while teams that finish dead last get the best chance for the first overall pick.  So if you are looking like a seller rather than a buyer around trade deadline time, what's the incentive for your team to win?  Why bother even trying? Hence we hear terms like "Fall for Hall", "Fail for Nail" or "Stop winning for McKinnon" which frankly makes the league look like a joke.

Anyone else sick of teams like the Oilers being rewarded while teams that are constantly good like Detroit are forced to retool with late round picks? I understand the current system was developed in order to create more parity and fairness, but with the salary cap now in place I think we have enough parity already.  In fact I'm kind of sick of pariaty myself.  Anyone else miss the old dynasty day's of the Oilers, Isles or even the Wings.  It was fun to watch teams try and match up against those giants and see if they could pull off an upset.

My proposal is that we keep the draft lottery system but reverse the odds.  That way teams that just barely miss the playoffs get the best chance at the number 1 pick.  Consider this a sort of constilation prize for teams that come close but just miss the playoffs.  This new system will provide all teams with an incentive to keep winning all year making the regular season way more interesting to watch for fans of all teams.  Plus under this system you won't see GMs like Tamby rewarded with a contract extension after finishing last or near last year years in a row.

End rant.  What do you think?

With a cap system designed for parity and a league revenue sharing system, there is no excuse to fail. First pick should go to the team that just missed the playoffs.

If that were the case, those teams just missing the playoffs would battle for it

i propose that every team that misses the playoffs should have an equal chance to get a top 5 pick. the lottery should have 14 balls in a cage, one with each team's logo. then 5 balls are pulled in consecutive order, picking spots 1-5, then the rest of the picks are determined by final standings as it sits today.

i propose that every team that misses the playoffs should have an equal chance to get a top 5 pick. the lottery should have 14 balls in a cage, one with each team's logo. then 5 balls are pulled in consecutive order, picking spots 1-5, then the rest of the picks are determined by final standings as it sits today.

Brocken ? LOL.

I agree that the system is BROKEN but giving teams that finished just out of the playoffs like Buffalo a top 5 pick wouldn't be fair either.

There really isn't a perfect solution thus the problem continues to linger on.

There's more to the draft than just position. People are forgetting the idea of the draft in the first place. It's to help teams that don't have good players get better. If you have a draft lottery the weak teams don't improve. If anything the whole lottery concept is a failure from guys in the NBA and Bettman who are failures.

The NFL has a simple set up. Worst team drafts first. There's no dynasties. Good teams and good managers keep them competitive through great scouting. Just getting 1st overall when you have a bunch of monkeys running your franchise could still be a disaster. The NFL is arguably the best league in the world of sports in terms of profit. Random draws could mean a Stanley Cup winner gets a franchise once in a decade player, how fair is that for a team trying to improve itself just to get INTO the playoffs?

In fact with the draft lottery, notice there's teams in the NBA that NEVER get good?

Dump the lottery in my opinion. In fact dump the lottery and dump Phoenix and the Islanders, hold a dispersal draft and have a 28 team league. Then everyone wins.

Archived