The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the NHL draft lottery system broken?

Changing the system as the OP suggested would lead to a huge HUGE gap between teams. If you take away the chance for the really bad teams to draft players that can help them climb up out of the gutter, while making the teams above them better by giving them the better draft picks, you'll have an absolute joke of a league.

You would really see the difference after 5+ years, when the bottom dwellers and their crap picks continue to get worse while the cusp teams get stronger. You'd effectively be making a league with two tiers.

Changing the system as the OP suggested would lead to a huge HUGE gap between teams. If you take away the chance for the really bad teams to draft players that can help them climb up out of the gutter, while making the teams above them better by giving them the better draft picks, you'll have an absolute joke of a league.

You would really see the difference after 5+ years, when the bottom dwellers and their crap picks continue to get worse while the cusp teams get stronger. You'd effectively be making a league with two tiers.

actually a two tier league isn't too bad an idea :)Kind of like they do in European football, with the worst teams being regulated to a lower league but getting the chance to play their way back into the ellite league. With 30 NHL teams already and possible expansion in the future this could be the way to go. Ok maybe not, but I don't think what I'm suggesting would be that radical the bottom teams would still pick in the first part of the draft, it's just the teams that make a push but end up 9th or 10th get rewarded while the bottom teams still get an early pick just not a first rounder.

Just make the lottery exactly that a lottery, each team gets one ball with their logo on it, whomevers ball gets picked 1st gets first, etc etc until all the teams have been picked, that way it is really a lottery. No favoritism for failing and no punishment for achieving or trying but failing to make the playoffs ie calgary as it was mentioned earlier.

If that's the case I would rather see my team fight to make the playoffs and get rewarded for it then get rewarded with a draft pick for playing like crap. What your forgetting is for many years the Canucks were a bubble team that often just missed the playoffs often coming close after a late season surge. Instead of getting rewarded for that hard work the Canucks like the last place team missed the playoffs but got a much later draft pick, to me that just isn't fair.

• 5 months later...

I think that each playoff team should get an extra draft pick depending on where they finish.

Stanley Cup winner gets an extra pick at the end of the 1st round. Finalist get pick at end of 2nd round. Conference finalists get additional pick at the end of the 3rd rounds, etc.

It should provide an incentive for teams to reach the playoffs and to do damage there, plus it's nothing to extreme since the winner doesn't get a top-5/10 pick or anything.

There's more to the draft than just position. People are forgetting the idea of the draft in the first place. It's to help teams that don't have good players get better. If you have a draft lottery the weak teams don't improve. If anything the whole lottery concept is a failure from guys in the NBA and Bettman who are failures.

The NFL has a simple set up. Worst team drafts first. There's no dynasties. Good teams and good managers keep them competitive through great scouting. Just getting 1st overall when you have a bunch of monkeys running your franchise could still be a disaster. The NFL is arguably the best league in the world of sports in terms of profit. Random draws could mean a Stanley Cup winner gets a franchise once in a decade player, how fair is that for a team trying to improve itself just to get INTO the playoffs?

In fact with the draft lottery, notice there's teams in the NBA that NEVER get good?

Dump the lottery in my opinion. In fact dump the lottery and dump Phoenix and the Islanders, hold a dispersal draft and have a 28 team league. Then everyone wins.

Archived