The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Romney dodged the draft

Buggernut

No no, not having a go at all. Sorry mate. What I mean by that is, there are less jobs for young people today, because they are occupied by older generation (yours) since that generation has been the age of the current one. Not you specifically (or your friends). I was taking exception to your opinion on entitlement in young people. It's not entitlement to state things are bad for young people and they weren't nearly this bad for their parents.

You're right, I am piling the blame on a single generation for the sins of many. The reason I asked for you to elaborate is because I don't exactly know what you mean by "entitlement in people today". It could be applicable to worldwide protests by youth over jobs, something I'd argue with you over, or it could be something I haven't thought of.

Again, I'm sorry for seemingly having a go at you. Never my intent with you mate.

sorry mate , i would never attack anyone who is trying to change an a corrupt system .from the haymarket matyrs through to the occupy movement {which myself and a few friends spent a couple of days and nights at in melbourne } i have only admiration for those who are trying to make this a better world for the those that have not .

as i explained in a earlier post , my mother and father lived through the depression and dad did it especially tough in the uk , they have managed through a lot of hard work to give me a start in life that they did not have themselves , so to say that this is the first generation who leaves their kids worse off is not true the generation before my parents had "it" better than they did. many of the mistakes that led to the great depression have been repeated a mere 70 years later and we have not got a FDR type of leader in any of our countries to help guide us out of this mess .

the sense of entitlement i am talking about is that i feel so many people here in the west take the quality of life we have for granted , people do not appreciate the fact that they have a roof over their heads , clothes on their back and food in thier bellies when billions of other human being's do not have these things .

i also agree with parts of that report that say the millenial generation generation place different values on different things and this is contributing to a more selfish society in general , where the emphasis is on the individual and his needs , not what is good for us all .

these are only personal beliefs and and i am not claiming them to be facts , but as you know i have a genuine compasion for those less fortunate than me and will do anything in my power to make it a better world for them .,

I thought you should! I will agree with you insofar as saying that by allowing the perversion of their democracy they deserve it. However, they aren't collectively stupid enough to legitimately elect Bush twice. That gives me hope.

Well in this case I agree with you, albeit to an extent. Do people take first world quality of life for granted? In a sense yes, they do; however is it not in large part due to the environment the boomers have created for them? Western world trains children from a young age to be consumers in an ever-growing economy. If advertisements didn't bombard us from every angle, do you think people would put value into sun glasses and Jersey Shore? Of course not.

Nor does the quality of life diminish certain complaints. If we are to blame the western youth for not valuing their electronics because someone has it worse than them, do we say the same to people whose lives are worse than ours yet better than some?

I agree with you in technical details, but I feel blame should be laid squarely at the feet of those who raised a generation of self-serving brats, not the brats themselves. Humans today are no different than 50 years ago, and had the youth had to defend their nation or build dwellings for a booming population, I don't doubt for a second that today's generation would accomplish just as much as the last. Rising to an occasion requires an occasion.

Maybe the Boomer generation is still bitter about being forced into Vietnam that they decided to leave behind billions in debt in order to better their own quality of lives.

Seriously though, its too early to be judging Generation X and Y when they haven't come into power yet. One thing is for sure, the Boomers had a much better legacy left behind from the previous generation.

Amoral. I agree. The military today is an entirely voluntary organization, just as it has always been. Being drafted, on the other hand, is a privilege of living and maintaining a free society. But if you are in college, or a member of the clergy or in divinity school, you have the privilege not to be drafted.

Well in this case I agree with you, albeit to an extent. Do people take first world quality of life for granted? In a sense yes, they do; however is it not in large part due to the environment the boomers have created for them? Western world trains children from a young age to be consumers in an ever-growing economy. If advertisements didn't bombard us from every angle, do you think people would put value into sun glasses and Jersey Shore? Of course not.

Nor does the quality of life diminish certain complaints. If we are to blame the western youth for not valuing their electronics because someone has it worse than them, do we say the same to people whose lives are worse than ours yet better than some?

I agree with you in technical details, but I feel blame should be laid squarely at the feet of those who raised a generation of self-serving brats, not the brats themselves. Humans today are no different than 50 years ago, and had the youth had to defend their nation or build dwellings for a booming population, I don't doubt for a second that today's generation would accomplish just as much as the last. Rising to an occasion requires an occasion.

Amoral. I agree. The military today is an entirely voluntary organization, just as it has always been. Being drafted, on the other hand, is a privilege of living and maintaining a free society. But if you are in college, or a member of the clergy or in divinity school, you have the privilege not to be drafted.

You're not going to find many leaders of that generation who aren't seriously character deficient, water is wet, sky is blue, Boomers are insanely self centered hypocrits. Unfortunately we still have at least 10 more years to go before we get some fresh blood at that level.

Archived