The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

Hey guys,

The reason I feel people hate on Luongo is because of last year's performance. Newcomers who wanted to see their team do well, with high expectations. They see the final, and how Luongo performed. Now these fans have not seen Luongo's past performances. They haven't seen the beast he was from 5 years ago. These fans see Schneider's performance compared to Luongo, Schneider is their savior. They see a goalie who performs great all regular season and in the playoffs. They then compare Luongo's performances to Schneider's performances and feel Schneider is better. This is relevant to me. I am 13, and I started supporting the Canucks since last year's playoffs. Obviously I am aware of Luongo's performance in the past 5 years, and I respect him. Many do not have this respect, they boo him in the stands, and they want their savior Schneider (whom i love) to be in net. No one should boo an athlete.

Hockey is kind of funny this way, some times you can have a guy play for a team his entire career, and other time just for a short time, due to reasons we will never know. I think that this is one of those times, I don't believ that anyone hates LUO, I think that for whatever reason the team if front of him has lost cobfidence in him, and for what ever reason Luo has not worked very hard to regain that confidece, the love afair with Luo in Van is over and he will most likely be moved, so i think it is time to get over bobby luo and these types of threads and move on!

Just my opinoin

I believe it's because of how Luongo played when he was first acquired. When he first came over, he was lights out. It helped that we played a tight defensive game, but Luongo put us on his back and carried us for the season. Now as he's gotten older (also suffered a groin injury), and our game has opened up, he's become more mortal. Despite this, many people still expect the elite Luongo we had in the past.

It also doesn't help that Schneider has only had a handful of bad games, and for the most part looks solid, while Luongo has become a bit streaky.

People hate Luongo because he's cocky and can't handle the media pressure here thus comes off very unfriendly. He never looks at the camera in interviews and has this constant look of annoyance with the media. Add that with not showing up for big games people aren't exactly pleased with him.

People hate Luongo because he's cocky and can't handle the media pressure here thus comes off very unfriendly. He never looks at the camera in interviews and has this constant look of annoyance with the media. Add that with not showing up for big games people aren't exactly pleased with him.

The reason people dislike him is because of him not showing up for big games and the way he comes off to fans in the media. He often at times act cocky when he hasn't really accomplished anything yet and so many times blames his teammates for losses.

IMO, his attitude rubs off badly towards me. He often becomes lazy during the playoffs, not showing up for warmups in the pregame, or optional practices just to get extra days of rest. Even though he gets the most rest of all his teammates. For example between game 1 and game 2 of this years series against LA, there was an optional practice and he felt that he didn't need to show up even though the team lost game 1. Yea I know, we don't really know the reason, but based on his attitude in the past, I think he's not a very hard working person.

People hate Luongo because Canucks fans are ALWAYS hating on someone, and a lot of time its the goalie. Or more generally, cuz some people need ot hate on something. If your a Vancouver hockey fan, its a player. If you are a game of thrones fan, its the tv adaptation. All the same thing. Angry nerds abound.

Hate is a strong word.

Some people have become more comfortable with Schneider's style of staying on his feet whereas others don't have a problem with the flopping style. Personally I get nervous when I see a goalie face down on the ice and the opposition banging away at the puck. It doesn't mean that I hate Luo or that Luo is a bad goalie, it just means that I am more comfortable when a goalie is in position to stop the shot. Brodeur also flops face down and everyone knows that he is a great goalie too.

Both Schneider and Luongo are solid goalies with Luo having a slight edge because of past history. But in this cap driven era, it comes down to which can give you the most bang for the buck. Schneids is the younger goalie with good stats and provides a chance to save some cap and shore up some of the teams shortcomings.

So it comes down to which goalie would get you the highest return in a trade(Luongo) and balancing that with bang for the buck (Schneids). It is a business decision that comes with risks as many have already stated.

When the GM's, that are in the market for a goalie that can get them into the playoffs (which allows them to keep their job), examine Luongo's out clause(and the teams) and the $5.3M contract, they probably will come to the concluson that they have a chance to make their team better and generate all that revenue from the playoffs.... the contract will be less of an obstacle to moving forward.

Change is inevitable so you can either embrace it or go down with the followers.

I think you're just overanalyzing it. Most Canucks fans I know hate on Luongo because he isn't consistent in the playoffs. He'll be spectacular one night and look like the elite goalie he was when he first came to us and then the next night he looks like an AHL backup goalie. It's not entirely his fault but because of that a lot of fans have a hard time putting faith in him because everyone is just waiting for the next soft goal.

If he was playing like he first did when he came to us you wouldn't hear anyone complaining about him but alas that guy is gone.

People always need someone to blame. They fans never saw a stanley cup win and they also see the big dollars and long term contract. I have always liked Luongo but I don't like how emotional he gets in the playoffs. Just stop playing the puck behind the net and stop the pucks comming infront of you. He didn't play bad this year at all.

The reason people dislike him is because of him not showing up for big games and the way he comes off to fans in the media. He often at times act cocky when he hasn't really accomplished anything yet and so many times blames his teammates for losses.

IMO, his attitude rubs off badly towards me. He often becomes lazy during the playoffs, not showing up for warmups in the pregame, or optional practices just to get extra days of rest. Even though he gets the most rest of all his teammates. For example between game 1 and game 2 of this years series against LA, there was an optional practice and he felt that he didn't need to show up even though the team lost game 1. Yea I know, we don't really know the reason, but based on his attitude in the past, I think he's not a very hard working person.

I think you're just overanalyzing it. Most Canucks fans I know hate on Luongo because he isn't consistent in the playoffs. He'll be spectacular one night and look like the elite goalie he was when he first came to us and then the next night he looks like an AHL backup goalie. It's not entirely his fault but because of that a lot of fans have a hard time putting faith in him because everyone is just waiting for the next soft goal.

If he was playing like he first did when he came to us you wouldn't hear anyone complaining about him but alas that guy is gone.

Archived