The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

Please tell me how any team would be motivated to score if you start every game down 2 or 3 goals because of poor goaltending. The bottom line is Luongo didn't give the team a chance to win in Boston. He's mentally fragile and needs a fresh start elsewhere. Look at game 6 when the Canucks started well. He lets in a goal from a bad angle by Marchand and another one 5-hole a few minutes later. I mean, if he lets in one or two bad goals, the floodgates open and he loses his composure.

The last two playoff series we have scored 8 goals in 7 games and 7 goals in 5 games respectively.

You can't win with that lack of production. I don't care who you have in net.

The 3 games Cory played he had a better SV% and GAA than Quick and they still lost 2 of 3. The offense is the problem here folks not the goaltending.

To all of you that say that Luo should have been better like Thomas, did you watch any other games accept the Van games. Thomas was terrible in the Tampa series and he was average at best the two series before.

Van's problem is that they get set in their ways and don't change styles based on their opponents. I think that they made Thomas look very good by not adapting to his style. With a guy that charges out of his net you don't just come down the wing as shoot from the top of the circle. You aren't going to score. What did Van do. They kept firing pucks into his logo and pads and make him look good.

The reason that Tampa took them to 7 was they adapted and moved the puck laterally. As we saw for the Burrows goal he is terrible laterally.

This has been Van's problem for years is that they don't make in game/in series changes to adapt. I also think this is why many people are becoming less patient with A.V. and wanting a coaching change.

Looking in as a fan of team I think most Canucks fans over react to anything involving Luongo, but that's not really any different than how any other city would act towards a star goalie.

If I were Gilllis I would trade Schneider and keep Luongo. I think Luongo + the return for Schneider will be greater than Schneider and the return for Luongo. Sure, Lu isn't a perfect goalie but then again who is? Even the current great veteran goalies in the game have had off seasons and flopped in the playoffs. Expectations are high in Vancouver and so they should be. But I think Canucks have more of a chance to succeed with Luongo between the pipes. I know Lu's contract is scarey, but I honestly think he can play at least until 40 like Brodeur.

Looking in as a fan of team I think most Canucks fans over react to anything involving Luongo, but that's not really any different than how any other city would act towards a star goalie.

If I were Gilllis I would trade Schneider and keep Luongo. I think Luongo + the return for Schneider will be greater than Schneider and the return for Luongo. Sure, Lu isn't a perfect goalie but then again who is? Even the current great veteran goalies in the game have had off seasons and flopped in the playoffs. Expectations are high in Vancouver and so they should be. But I think Canucks have more of a chance to succeed with Luongo between the pipes. I know Lu's contract is scarey, but I honestly think he can play at least until 40 like Brodeur.

Guest BuckFoston

People hate Luongo because he's cocky and can't handle the media pressure here thus comes off very unfriendly. He never looks at the camera in interviews and has this constant look of annoyance with the media. Add that with not showing up for big games people aren't exactly pleased with him.

I think most of the people who hate on Luongo clearly don't remember Dan Cloutier. While Luongo has sometimes failed to bail out the team when they are playing poorly, Cloutier used to deflate the team when they where playing well (the 01-02 playoff series against Detroit was a prime example.) The only real game changing goalies the Canucks have had are the ones that have taken them to the finals.

Guest BuckFoston

It's no use I tried for like 6 pages,

soon that grease ball will be riding the pine in Toronto and we will be at peace.

First of all, yes, he didn't handle the pressure too well LAST YEAR. Mind you this was also his very first time in the Stanley Cup Finals, a place were this current group of guys has never been. He could have been less emotional and handled it differently, but he didn't. It's water under the bridge now. I really don't see how you can say the same thing about him NOW, because this year he changed his attitude completely and openly admitted his mistakes in net and with the media. He said he learned his lesson and will not be as emotional and will not allow himself to be provoked. He has stuck to this idea very well.

Nevermind that this was his tweet a few days ago: Strombone ‏@strombone1

Wasn't me playing in Boston last year.... It was a hologram... Explains why everything went through me

So yeah, I think he has been humbled. Secondly, I know that you could care less about anything but the Stanley, or the Conn Smyth or even a Vezina, since you clearly think that winning a gold medal on home ice is garbage and means nothing. Yeah, what a loser he must be. Only those dumb Europeans care about Olympics, right? The Jennings Trophy is also really useless, who needs it? Or, as I've pointed out many times and no one seems to care - Luongo is the only active goaltender who even has a shot at being close to Brodeur's overall stats. No one else is there and won't be there for a while. But that is irrelevant too.

Finally, I am sorry to break this to you, but being picked up in the first round and 4th overall, then signing an almost 3 mil contract at 19 and continuing to do great things from that point forward does not come from being lazy. Being Florida's star net minder and then Vancouver's star in his early years here does not come from being lazy. There are great players in hockey, there are good players, and there are ok players. However, even the ok players require a work ethic that is unknown to most here, or let's say all - because I have not seen anyone here who actually plays in the NHL. From your take on it, getting into the NHL must be a breeze because any lazy a-hole can do it.

I am not a Luongo hater or lover. If he does well, I praise him. If he has an off night, I call it like it is. If he leaves, it will be upsetting, but I'm not going to cry about it. But what is infuriating to me is these kinds of ignorant comments that can only come from people who joined the fan base a year or two ago. It's the only possible way you can spew such nonsense about a player. Anyone who has been around the team for at least 5 years would know what Luongo actually did for this team, regardless of what happened last year or his performance decline after the groin injury. Voice your displeasure with his CURRENT performance, but pull your head out of your arse when it comes to his career and all the hard work he's done. Damnit you made me so mad... :angry:

It seems to me that Schneider lost two playoff games this year. Is that his fault? If not, I assume you are hanging it on the rest of the team. The same team that failed to score a single goal on Thomas in the final. But you wouldn't possibly be having a double standard here, so I will take it as Schneider's fault. Boy, can't believe that bum couldn't hang on in overtime... He let in the goal, therefore he lost us the series... :rolleyes: TRADE THEM BOTH!

It seems to me that Schneider lost two playoff games this year. Is that his fault? If not, I assume you are hanging it on the rest of the team. The same team that failed to score a single goal on Thomas in the final. But you wouldn't possibly be having a double standard here, so I will take it as Schneider's fault. Boy, can't believe that bum couldn't hang on in overtime... He let in the goal, therefore he lost us the series... :rolleyes: TRADE THEM BOTH!

Are you 100% certain that Luongo wants out? Just because he apparently said he'd waive his no trade clause that doesn't mean Luongo wants to leave. Although the way Luongo gets treated in this city I wouldn't be surprised if he wants out.

My point was that Gillis should explore all options to resolve the goaltending situations. If Luongo wants to stay then that should be a legitimate option for Gillis.

During Halloween,I went for a walk with my Luongo Jersey had the Helmet everything good to go i ended up with so much hate it's unreal Grown men shouting at me "Luongo Sucks" "Buy a New Jersey" You would think this is a guy is a villian and not our Former captain i feel it's disgusting as fans that we treat one of our own players like this we all have ups and down during our careers we can't stay forever on top of our game. I mean this is a player who once in a CANUCKS JERSEY holds 8 Franchise records for us that is no easy achievement. As fans we should back off Luongo for a while and maybe he will get his Game back, As he won't feel the pressure as much You never know he might shock us all. :canucks:

Thank you. I'm not like a lot of people around here. I think a lot of people are picking sides and being biased. They're calling it however they want to see it. I'm not going to be some kind of wimp and start sugar coating things because I don't like the truth. I'm not going to start kissing so and so's ass because I like them or because they may actually read this board from time to time. I'm just going to call it how it is even if people don't like that. If you start sugar coating these things then you're only fooling yourself.

Guest BuckFoston

What has he accomplished if he hasn't won anything in the NHL ?

A gold medal behind a dream team

You just wrote a book and all you had to do was copy and paste the other horse poop everyone who cares about NW division banners and president trophies posted

Archived