The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

As I said before, then we have a bigger problem than which goalie to keep.

If these guys can't recover from 1 goal they should not be in this league. It's time for the whole team to have a look behind their jock straps and those players who are missing some vital parts need to go.

But, it's Luongo

They probably said to themselves

Oh crap, head case Luo is playing tonight.

That doubt changes everything, Hockey is all in your head.

Then the Bruins are suddenly 10ft tall and now they smell blood.

I've always wondered how many goals-for Luongo actually cost us in that series though. He got pumped so full of holes for all 3 games in Boston that the team lost all will to fight back. Another perfect example is what happened in game 7. The Canucks came out guns blazing and were carrying the play and firing all kinds of rubber at Thomas. Then Marchand comes down the wing and Luongo lets him score a softy against the flow of play. The refs drop the puck again and all of a sudden its the Bruins with all the momentum, the puck is in our end and Luongo gets scored on again...and again...and again. Schneider finally comes in to right the ship but by then the damage is done. The team never recovered from that first terrible goal that Luongo let in.

What are these guys 10 years old. If they had that in their heads they lost before the game even started.

Head case Luongo led them to a President's Trophy and to the SCF. He single handedly won them the first 2 games and game 5. So if their attitude was that he wasn't good enough then I think its time to blow this team up and start over with guys that have some character.

Unless you have played the game and have first hand had the experience of how goaltending can turn a teams momentum it hard to understand. When week goals go in it puts you back on your heals and makes you unconfident to make plays. Boston had the confidence Canucks after the first two games didn't and it was because of Lou end of story. I get so sick of Lou homers saying that we only made it that far because of him. He was called 7ongo by Boston fans, he felt he needed a police protection in Vancouver after the playoffs and left town ASAP.... He knew he messed up its time for the "1%" to wake up.

And yet thats how it works a heck of a lot of the time (the NHL is no exception). A bad goal can be deflating for one team and a big time momentum builder for the other. Thats how it played out in game 7.

Guys your missing the point here. It's not about which goalie is in net. The fact that the team gets totally deflated because of 1 goal is a problem. I know its tough to keep your head up when you feel that someone should have made a play. But as a professional you have to.

I agree that it happens quite often but it also happens the other way quite often as well. Good team rally around each other and pick each other up after bad plays. If the Canucks players can't/refuse to rally around Luo after bad goals then we have bigger problems in this organization.

Maybe they don't have as much confidence in Cory as they do with Luo. The whole team plays much better defensively infront of Cory.

Maybe just maybe they are confident that Luo will make the save so they take more chances and when Cory is in net they play tighter.

Regardless of who is in net the team should play the same. Again the problem is that they play better infront of Cory.

I am a goalie and have played the game for over 20 years. Believe me I have let in my fair share of bad goals.

Everytime I let in a bad one someone from my teams hits the pads with their stick and says don't worry we'll get that one back for you.

Now I ask how can a beer league team rally around their goalie but not a professional hockey team.

This is a terrible argument to make. If the team quit on him then the blame should be on them not the goalie.

It is fair. Every goalie lets in bad goals, the problem is when a goalie lets in consistent bad goals. I have played with good goalies who let in bad goals and get over it and your right the team can still have confidence and fight back, but I have also played with goalies that fold and the feeling in the bench and on the ice is not the same. When Lou is off his game we know it and the team for sure knows it, and yes is affects there play.

Guys your missing the point here. It's not about which goalie is in net. The fact that the team gets totally deflated because of 1 goal is a problem. I know its tough to keep your head up when you feel that someone should have made a play. But as a professional you have to.

I agree that it happens quite often but it also happens the other way quite often as well. Good team rally around each other and pick each other up after bad plays. If the Canucks players can't/refuse to rally around Luo after bad goals then we have bigger problems in this organization.

Archived