The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

It was the same thing with Cloutier, no matter how bad he stunk, there was always someone defending him.

Look at Tony Romo, when he craps the bed people are all over him, its part of playing in a big market.

In-fact, Romo and Luongo have striking similarities.

Both dominate for the most part, then unravel in high pressure situations (not every time)

Both have unquestionable ability, but have tarnished images from mental breakdowns.

I worked in Texas, I saw first hand how mad those cowboy fans get at Romo, its nothing compared to this.

And as fans they have that rite, we should have the freedom to critique there performances.

If we "hate" them that doesn't make us lesser fans, some people like myself are just born pessimistic .

If Luongo had a no meltdowns in the playoffs this thread wouldn't exist.

I dont think anybody really expected Luongo to post 4 shutouts. The thing is, people talk about how we only scored 8 goals in the series but it hardly gets mentioned that Tim Thomas only gave up 8 goals in the series and we peppered him with shots every game. Why is it that Thomas only gets scored on 8 times in the series and Luongo gets scored on about 20 times? Why was Thomas so much better than Luongo? I think if we lost the series but Luongo kept it close in the losses then people wouldn't give him such a hard time.

True, the team didn't score much, but Schneider always kept us within striking distance and we lost two games with him by one goal each against LA.

Luongo didn't do as well against LA, and the losses to Boston, well those games were pretty much over in the second period. Luongo gave us no chance in those and that is why I think there is a lot of dislike for him now. For me it was the SCF which changed my opinion of Luongo, one game he was terrific and the next he was just plain brutal. His playoff inconsistency is what turns me off, I dont hate him, I'm just fed up with him.

I hate him and can't stand him in net because he never accepts his mistakes and blames on his pads, stick, helmet. And changes it like a ocd patient, when he should actually admit he is not a elite goalie. Seriously people make him out into an elite goalie and he actually believes he is, which is funny.

When will he learn to stop blaming on his equipment and finally realize he is not elite, hell I think Hiller is better than this guy.

Hope you leave this team and take your mental breakdowns and shootut record with you. Every player in NHL has figured you out and know your mentally fragile ever since Chicago.

I hate him and can't stand him in net because he never accepts his mistakes and blames on his pads, stick, helmet. And changes it like a ocd patient, when he should actually admit he is not a elite goalie. Seriously people make him out into an elite goalie and he actually believes he is, which is funny.

When will he learn to stop blaming on his equipment and finally realize he is not elite, hell I think Hiller is better than this guy.

Hope you leave this team and take your mental breakdowns and shootut record with you. Every player in NHL has figured you out and know your mentally fragile ever since Chicago.

I dont think anybody really expected Luongo to post 4 shutouts. The thing is, people talk about how we only scored 8 goals in the series but it hardly gets mentioned that Tim Thomas only gave up 8 goals in the series and we peppered him with shots every game. Why is it that Thomas only gets scored on 8 times in the series and Luongo gets scored on about 20 times? Why was Thomas so much better than Luongo? I think if we lost the series but Luongo kept it close in the losses then people wouldn't give him such a hard time.

Might have something to do with the defense infront of him. Ya shots are great but when they come from 60 feet out they aren't as effective as the breakaways and 2 on 1's that we were giving the Bruins.

But nobody seems to watch any games. They just watch sportsnet/sports centre and look at final score and assume that he was terrible.

ya sorry but disagree .... i don't hate lu i just have an issue with so many ppl having faith in him and pumping his eagle up that he didn't meet the super high expectation and sorry but no excuses.... he really didn't live up to expectations, and enough with the world cup crap.... its easy to win when you have the world best players playing in front of you.... Kirkmclean was a real goaltender that took a far lesser talented team to the stanley cup final and that game 7 was a lot closer 3-2 then a freakin 4-0 shut outllll lu is predictable and lacks confidence he gets beaten.... pass the buck already and on with shneider.

Thomas let in 21 goals in 7 games against Tampa...yet he was considered a god last year?

Luongo would be the goat no matter what, a loss is a loss no matter what, losing by 1 goal is the same as losing by 5 it's still a loss.

Luongo is the only reason the series went 7 games.

Like someone posted earlier and I have posted numerous times.

Game 7

First goal 14+ mins in, no prior push or any push back

Second goal 32+ mins in still no offensive threat

Third goal over 39 minutes in and still no offensive push from the Canucks.

Fourth goal 56+ minutes (empty net) and STILL no offensive threat from the Canucks

Luongo kept the team within striking distance for almost 2 full periods of play without any offensive threat coming from his offense. I'd say thats giving your team a chance to take the momentum back.

I guess I could use you Luongo haters logic and say maybe Luongo was deflated by the horrible team infront of him.

No Heart: In a thread that's 2 days old you have 36 posts. I'd say you've likely made your point and, when it becomes one liners, is overkill. Again, having an opposing opinion is fine, hitting everyone over the head with it repeatedly on every page becomes trolling.

Nino & others: you know who wins the SC? The team that has everything clicking at the same/right time. Really, it isn't even a blame thing, it's about things coming together and having the best people in place to facilitate that. So many things factor in that it isn't easy to direct blame at one particular thing/person when it doesn't come together...as a team, you all have to contribute equally. Lu was shaky at times, other times he was lights out and GAVE us the opportunity TO play beyond the regular season when the team faltered. So it's about the big picture, not just extracting certain games and ignoring the reason we've been in the playoffs over the past few years. Lu was a big part of that.

Archived