The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

when he came here he was excellent then I think once he hurt his groin he was never going to be the same way, and had to change his game then with cory been lights out fans just want lu gone ( if Lu didn't have the injury we would of won the cup last year)

People loved Richard Brodeur, for one great playoff run, but otherwise mediocre goaltending. People hated Dan Cloutier, for one major gaffe and a couple unexpected quick playoff exits, ignoring the best regular season goaltending we'd had since Kirk McLean.

I've been watching Willie Mitchell wondering where the turnover machine from the playoff losses against the Blackhawks went. I like Willie, and I'm happy for him, but he was at least as culpable against the 'Hawks as Luongo.

My opinion is threefold.

1. Many casual fans don't understand the game well, and think that save % is always a meaningful statistic. Truth is there is a lot of difference between a shot on a breakaway, a shot on a 2 on 1, a shot on a powerplay, a shot off a turnover. The Blackhawks are excellent at forcing turnovers, and our guys gave them a lot of breakaways, 2 on 1's, turnovers, and powerplays. Against the Bruins in Boston, I have no answer. Luongo was like a different goalie in Vancouver and in Boston.

2. Many fans came to expect excellence out of Luongo and were pissed when they found out he was human.

3. After the series' against the Hawks, many shooters are no longer thinking they need a perfect shot to beat Luongo (as was remarked upon recently by the play by play guys with respect to Jonathan Quick). In fact, weaknesses have been exposed with regards to low angle shots from the corners, trying to bank it in off his skates/stick.

Luongo is nothing more than a goalie mask full of hair gel.

Anyone who defends him has never played hockey

cause you would know how much of a momentum killer a week goal is.

Deep in that teams mind they lost faith in him

you can see the difference in the way they play in front of him vs Schneider.

well you can't cause you are a blindfolded luongo lover, but most people do.

AV put a inexperienced unproven goalie in the most important games of the year cause Luongo is an elite playoff performer?

or do you think AV has seen this story before.

I think another MAJOR factor here is also the stupid press in Vancouver. They do nothing but harm to our team. This is one reason I was hoping to get Torts when we were looking for a new coach. I am sure he would keep the press off our players and forfit all of his earnings to that weasle Bettman, in doing so.

I think another MAJOR factor here is also the stupid press in Vancouver. They do nothing but harm to our team. This is one reason I was hoping to get Torts when we were looking for a new coach. I am sure he would keep the press off our players and forfit all of his earnings to that weasle Bettman, in doing so.

If you want arrogant, look at Kesler. He's the most arrogant prick on this team by a mile. People always talk about how Luongo is weak mentally, but I disagree to an extent. Watch how he's put up with everyone's crap in this city for six years now. If he couldn't handle it mentally, he would have folded like a cheap tent and left a long time ago. He's only leaving this off season because the morons are far louder than the faithful and there's actually someone here that can take his job now.

actually people who hate on him have no clue about hockey because he is statistically they best goalie this team has ever had and yes i have played hockey and when we got a weak goal scored on us i sure as hell didn't give up, when you go down by a goal you play even harder to get back in the f--king game. yeah AV played Schneider against Boston in January and we won but guess what? they scored 3 goals on him, same as against Luongo in game 7 of the finals, the difference? we scored 4 instead of 0. did putting in Schneider make any difference at all against the Kings? no, we still lost 2 of 3 games. Goaltending was not the issue against the Kings and if you think it was you really need to get a clue about the game. I like both Luongo and Schneider and would defend Schneider too if he got ripped on this much, which he probably will be by the same idiots doing it to Luongo when he becomes the starter next year.

You have never played hockey, NHL 13 doesn't count.

I really don't know how you people can still defend him.

I will not argue with you he is awesome at times, but when it counts, his numbers are horrible.

And that is why we will be lucky to get rid of him over the summer, his value is only high on this website, the rest of the world, not so much.

Please tell me how any goalie is supposed to win a 7 game series when his team his averaging 1.14 goals a game i'd love to hear it. No question he sucked in the games in Boston but so did everyone else, Luongo's performances in games 1,2 and 5 were the only reason it even went 7. Especially games 1 and 5 where he got the 2 shutouts.

And in game 7 he could have only let in 1 goal and we still would have lost, kind of hard to win with a 0 on the board. Luongo is far from the reason we didn't win it last year

Please tell me how any team would be motivated to score if you start every game down 2 or 3 goals because of poor goaltending. The bottom line is Luongo didn't give the team a chance to win in Boston. He's mentally fragile and needs a fresh start elsewhere. Look at game 6 when the Canucks started well. He lets in a goal from a bad angle by Marchand and another one 5-hole a few minutes later. I mean, if he lets in one or two bad goals, the floodgates open and he loses his composure.

Fans here don't deserve a special elite player like Luongo. You think future star free agents won't think twice about coming here with how the fans threw Luo under the bus? Vancouver was becoming a hot destination for attraction free agents I won't be suprised to see that trend stop.

It's as simple as this: Lu makes most of the saves he is supposed to make and sometimes lets in a few softies, he also rarely makes the saves he is not supposed to make.

Cory makes all the saves he is supposed to make plus some he should have had zero chance at.

Nobody hates LU but it's hard to ignore he is being outplayed.

Luu's hate comes from going beast mode one night and melting down at the very worst times possible. It doesn't help that he has let in some really easy shots while making incredible saves in the same game. It confuses some people. They are uncertain why he doesn't make some really easy saves and that's why he gets ripped so badly. When he came to this team, he was playing like a superstar. It just seemed like Luongo was more likely to falter the better the team around him got. It's like he needs to be in a position to bail out a team in order for him to play at his best and not have so much anxiety. He needs to be a hero. Instead of needing to be a hero last playoffs 2011, they just needed him to not mess up. I think it throws him off of his game sometimes.

On the other hand, I really do believe that most of Lu's meltdowns are a thing of the past. He has learned from his mistakes and has mentally matured. I thought he looked great in the two games he played against the Kings. It's too bad the team wasn't focused.

The main reason I got frustrated because it seemed like he lost his drive there for a bit. His down low play by the nets was atrocious, simply atrocious. It somehow became evident he has no clue how the slide from one post to another works. I wonder how he got through hockey without ever learning this basic goaltending skill. This was evidenced before the Olympics but he was horrible on a goal against the Slovaks where he pretty much just gave up and fell flat on his face in desperation (the puck was no where near him), luckily he had such a good team in front of him there. He also started giving the puck directly to other players for goals (serious lack of attention to detail), and the goals going in from behind the net were worse than atrocious. Too much poker maybe.

Add to that AV has no clue how to pull a goaltender or when to start them and it's no wonder the fans turned on Lou. All goalies have bad games, it's up the coach to pull them and give the team a chance to win, not leave the goaltender in for 8 goasl in the SCF. AV can be a real idiot.

I think he actually showed he got back to a very high level last year. I fully agree with those who believe that Lou went through a period of very bad hockey where he was flopping around like a fish, and generally not making the big saves. I feel though that those who still have this hate on for him are no better than those that sight accolaydes from 5 years ago that mean absolutely nothing.

I think people hate his contract. If he was only signed for 3 more years, would we even be having the discussion of which goalie is leaving?

Archived