Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Draft the BPA!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

The Canucks are neutral when it comes to their prospects. There's no position in our system that's better than the other, and that does include goaltending. The Canucks top prospects are: Zack Kassian RW, Jordan Schroeder C, Nicklas Jensen LW/RW, Chris Tanev D, and Joe Cannata G.

We have both a first rounder and a second rounder. This years' draft pool is very shallow after the top 10-20 picks. I say no matter at what position we end up stay at or whoever's left, we HAVE TO pick the best player available.

From the 25th pick to the end of the second round, I'd say it's fair game, and that anybody could go anywhere. There are a few players that I really like that I could see going 26th or 56th, some maybe earlier and some maybe later. Either way though, here's my top 10 (not in order):

Ludvig Byström - A 17 year old d-man from the famous player factory Ornskoldsvik ( Sedins, Hedman, Naslund, Forsberg, etc.) he's got NHL size, swift skater, he can QB a powerplay, and he can play on the edge as well. I'd say he's very well rounded.

Martin Frk - Last year, many had him in the Top-10, but after suffering the 50/50 good/awful concussion. He's flown under the radar. He put up similar numbers to last year, has an NHL caliber shot, and he's someone who can single handedly change a game.

Scott Laughton - Think of him as the Boone Jenner of last year, but with more speed and tenacity. He's one of my favoutites. A Canadian with a heart of gold. He works hard every single shift, can play powerplay, kill penalties, and he plays well in all three zones of the ice. He'll drop the gloves too.

Henrik Samuelsson - He's the complete package: Big size, shot, physical game, tenacity, and a mean streak like his father Ulf. He was one if the Oil Kings heroes in the Memorial Cup run and put up good numbers. He really needs to working on his skating and attitude, as he's had about 4 suspensions in half a year in the WHL.

Dalton Thrower - Think of the future Kevin Bieksa 2.0, but with more speed, tenacity, grit, and much bigger shot. He plays on the edge, stands up for his teammates, and yet, he's one of the best offensive d-men in the draft. The North Vancouver native may only be 5'11, but he has a very solid frame and plays like has has NHL size.

Others:

Tomas Hertl
Scott Kosmachuk
Esa Lindell
Damon Severson
Colton Sissons

Use Elite Prospects to look at the stats if you wish, I'm not a big fan of them anyhow. Post some of your favoutites and why.

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#2 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Henrik Samuelsson. bam done!

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 08 June 2012 - 09:48 AM.

BMW-Light-painting-b.jpg

#3 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

i'd go with Malcolm Subban, Colton Sissons, Scott Laughton, Henrik Samuelsson or Martin Frk if they're available.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#4 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Laughton/Sissons or if nothing that great left, trade our 1st for a 2nd and 3rd.

#5 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

If need be, we should be trading 26th overall in a Quincey-Downie type of deal. It's time to win the cup, not think about who we'll picking for the future. That's what Gagner is for, Delorme and Gradin find talented European players let them stay over there till there Twenty and keep them on the Wolves till their in their mid-20s where they come here to play for a decade. That's what Detroit did with Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Howard, etc. and that's what we'll be doing here.

I'm also not convinced that the Sedins are going to retire here with the way things have been going.
Posted Image

#6 Ocular Patdown

Ocular Patdown

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Absolutely Dalton thrower this guy is gonna be a fan favourite and the fact he's a local kid, people will love him.

#7 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

If need be, we should be trading 26th overall in a Quincey-Downie type of deal. It's time to win the cup, not think about who we'll picking for the future. That's what Gagner is for, Delorme and Gradin find talented European players let them stay over there till there Twenty and keep them on the Wolves till their in their mid-20s where they come here to play for a decade. That's what Detroit did with Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Howard, etc. and that's what we'll be doing here.

I'm also not convinced that the Sedins are going to retire here with the way things have been going.

I was thinking that too and depends on what we get back in the Luongo trade if it happens/who's left.

Id try trading our 1st for Ott, getting that 3rd line center we need.
http://Posted Image

#8 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ott is more of a winger,
I doubt Dallas gives him up for a late 1st rounder or even a late first rounder plus Raymond,
Ott is crucial to that team
We need to get younger, or else in 3/4 years we are going to suck

If Subban is BPA, which he likely will be, you have to seriously consider him

We should have gotten picks in the Hodgson Trade instead of Gargnani, as we have a glutton of 6-7 spot d men

Maybe gillis wanted Graha bc he doesn't trust his drafting,

The success at a draft must include having lots of picks- look at teams that draft well Anaheim, Philly, LA, they have hone through years where they have amassed a lot of picks.

#9 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ott is more of a winger,
I doubt Dallas gives him up for a late 1st rounder or even a late first rounder plus Raymond,

We should have gotten picks in the Hodgson Trade instead of Gargnani, as we have a glutton of 6-7 spot d men

The success at a draft must include having lots of picks- look at teams that draft well Anaheim, Philly, LA, they have hone through years where they have amassed a lot of picks.

#10 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hey Brick, Imo the talent isn't as shallow as we think. You have a pretty good list of good prospects. Plus we don't know if Loungo will be traded by the draft. We may get a top 5 pick but that maybe slim!!

#11 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Ott is more of a winger,

Yes agree they do draft well. How many of those teams missed the playoffs last year or the year before to get those high picks. How many of those teams were willing to let go a Johnson for high pick or give up a Richards.
How many of those teams were drafting at the top ten compare to Gillis time here? I believe Gillis had one top 10 pick that was through a lottery other then that he's been drafting in the twenties and up for a first round pick.Gillis drafting is no better then Burke or Nonis in my opinion. If it not the drafting he making it up through the NCAA route. Players like Lack,Tanav,Cannata.
Have to agree eretz. I figure we should have gotten some picks for Hodgson. Gargnani will be a good player. Our Dmen is slowly aging.

Edited by canacks1970, 08 June 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#12 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Damon Severson

gallery_42012_46_1660.png

#13 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

1970, agree with your points, I guess I feel that ANA got guys like Schultz, etem Emerson, devante pelley smith at positions Gillis could have (Schultz- 2nd round, Etem Emerson went after Howden the year we got Ballard), I just think that because we font draft great, we need to try to get a lot of picks in a strong draft year and really stock our cubbards

#14 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Agree again 1970, Tanev, Lack were huge signings, I really like the drafting up of Cannata
Could be an NHL tender some day

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

It would be nice to add some grit, size, toughness, sand paper through this draft. Not many, if any prospects like that, and far too many finesse players. To build such a team that you see other teams modeled as, you actually need to draft that way.
Posted Image

#16 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

If Samuelsson is around at the 26th pick the Canucks better jump on that and pick him.

Edited by Jaku, 08 June 2012 - 12:13 PM.

R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
rsz_sam_reinhart.jpg

medium.pngColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#17 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Just a thought - what's the point of drafting Thrower, he may make the NHL, but he is far to small to ever make an impact- think about it...
Which top 4 d men do you know that you would want on your team that are under six feet

#18 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I would try to get R.Murray his is a very solid young d man with great leadership potential, another D.Hamhuis.
For forwards it is definitly D.Thrower he is big fast and loves to hit, he is just what we need!

#19 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I would take Samuelsson if he is available. He is just what this team needs, a big dman with a nasty streak.

Edited by bluesman60, 08 June 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#20 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

The Sedins retire here unless the canucks decide other wise ,Swede players are very loyal people if you look at the history of them
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#21 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Just a thought - what's the point of drafting Thrower, he may make the NHL, but he is far to small to ever make an impact- think about it...
Which top 4 d men do you know that you would want on your team that are under six feet

He's 17 and almost 6 feet. He's nowhere near a physical liability. Are you yelling me that Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom and Karlsson never had a chance of making an impact cause their not towers? You can be a big Raitis Ivanans and be a total slum. Look at Rick Rypien, always worked hard and had heart and soul, playing like the biggest guy out there.

Wanna complain about regulars in the NHL being undersized, look at Nathan Gerbe! He's 5'5. Theo Fleury was an Allstar and he was 5'6. Are you calling a 17 year-old who's almost 6 feet undersized?

oif7li.jpg

#22 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Has to be the BPA all the way

Edited by I'm Brick Tamland, 08 June 2012 - 12:45 PM.

oif7li.jpg

#23 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I would take Samuelsson if he is available. He is just what this team needs, a big dman with a nasty streak.

Mind you he's center. Could you imagine a future big first line of:

Jensen - Samuelsson - Kassian???

Unstoppable

oif7li.jpg

#24 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

Tim Bozon Is another guy who has the potential to be a top line scorer

Edited by I'm Brick Tamland, 08 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.

oif7li.jpg

#25 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

What about Derrick Pouliot of the winterhawks? Hes a 6 foot, 181 lb, left shot D man.

Hes an offensive D-man that has decent hands and a nice wrist shot! Last i knew he was ranked 19th... we might be able to snag him. =)

(winterhawks bias)

^some little highlights.

**edit: hes 5'11, hes 18 and hes ranked 12th for North american skaters... does that mean hes ranked too high for us to get?

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 08 June 2012 - 01:06 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#26 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,463 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I don't know about just drafting the BPA, we are a little weak on our defensive prospects, so I would like to see us draft a D man in the first 2 round. Dalton Thrower would be nice.
Posted Image

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,463 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

What about Derrick Pouliot of the winterhawks? Hes a 6 foot, 181 lb, left shot D man.

Hes an offensive D-man that has decent hands and a nice wrist shot! Last i knew he was ranked 19th... we might be able to snag him. =)

(winterhawks bias)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC522VhI1H8

^some little highlights.

**edit: hes 5'11, hes 18 and hes ranked 12th for North american skaters... does that mean hes ranked too high for us to get?

Pouliot should be gone in the top 20, if he was available when the Canucks were picking he would be an absolute steal.
Posted Image

#28 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Colton Sissons :)

If hes not left draft Malcolm Subban

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#29 GabbyTheAwesome

GabbyTheAwesome

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

i remember the time Dalton and Colton came to one of my parties and spilt baking powder everywhere. They're some real chill guys.

Edit: Oh and they're good hockey players too.

Edited by Hockeyman'94, 08 June 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#30 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Pouliot should be gone in the top 20, if he was available when the Canucks were picking he would be an absolute steal.

</3 So heartbroken!

this is only going to be my second year watching the draft though, its strangely exciting when you actually follow some of the kids in the minors.
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.