The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft the BPA!

Herberts Vasiljevs

The Canucks are neutral when it comes to their prospects. There's no position in our system that's better than the other, and that does include goaltending. The Canucks top prospects are: Zack Kassian RW, Jordan Schroeder C, Nicklas Jensen LW/RW, Chris Tanev D, and Joe Cannata G.

We have both a first rounder and a second rounder. This years' draft pool is very shallow after the top 10-20 picks. I say no matter at what position we end up stay at or whoever's left, we HAVE TO pick the best player available.

From the 25th pick to the end of the second round, I'd say it's fair game, and that anybody could go anywhere. There are a few players that I really like that I could see going 26th or 56th, some maybe earlier and some maybe later. Either way though, here's my top 10 (not in order):

Ludvig Byström - A 17 year old d-man from the famous player factory Ornskoldsvik ( Sedins, Hedman, Naslund, Forsberg, etc.) he's got NHL size, swift skater, he can QB a powerplay, and he can play on the edge as well. I'd say he's very well rounded.

Martin Frk - Last year, many had him in the Top-10, but after suffering the 50/50 good/awful concussion. He's flown under the radar. He put up similar numbers to last year, has an NHL caliber shot, and he's someone who can single handedly change a game.

Scott Laughton - Think of him as the Boone Jenner of last year, but with more speed and tenacity. He's one of my favoutites. A Canadian with a heart of gold. He works hard every single shift, can play powerplay, kill penalties, and he plays well in all three zones of the ice. He'll drop the gloves too.

Henrik Samuelsson - He's the complete package: Big size, shot, physical game, tenacity, and a mean streak like his father Ulf. He was one if the Oil Kings heroes in the Memorial Cup run and put up good numbers. He really needs to working on his skating and attitude, as he's had about 4 suspensions in half a year in the WHL.

Dalton Thrower - Think of the future Kevin Bieksa 2.0, but with more speed, tenacity, grit, and much bigger shot. He plays on the edge, stands up for his teammates, and yet, he's one of the best offensive d-men in the draft. The North Vancouver native may only be 5'11, but he has a very solid frame and plays like has has NHL size.

Others:

Tomas Hertl

Scott Kosmachuk

Esa Lindell

Damon Severson

Colton Sissons

Use Elite Prospects to look at the stats if you wish, I'm not a big fan of them anyhow. Post some of your favoutites and why.

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!

If need be, we should be trading 26th overall in a Quincey-Downie type of deal. It's time to win the cup, not think about who we'll picking for the future. That's what Gagner is for, Delorme and Gradin find talented European players let them stay over there till there Twenty and keep them on the Wolves till their in their mid-20s where they come here to play for a decade. That's what Detroit did with Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Howard, etc. and that's what we'll be doing here.

I'm also not convinced that the Sedins are going to retire here with the way things have been going.

If need be, we should be trading 26th overall in a Quincey-Downie type of deal. It's time to win the cup, not think about who we'll picking for the future. That's what Gagner is for, Delorme and Gradin find talented European players let them stay over there till there Twenty and keep them on the Wolves till their in their mid-20s where they come here to play for a decade. That's what Detroit did with Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Howard, etc. and that's what we'll be doing here.

I'm also not convinced that the Sedins are going to retire here with the way things have been going.

Ott is more of a winger,

I doubt Dallas gives him up for a late 1st rounder or even a late first rounder plus Raymond,

Ott is crucial to that team

We need to get younger, or else in 3/4 years we are going to suck

If Subban is BPA, which he likely will be, you have to seriously consider him

We should have gotten picks in the Hodgson Trade instead of Gargnani, as we have a glutton of 6-7 spot d men

Maybe gillis wanted Graha bc he doesn't trust his drafting,

The success at a draft must include having lots of picks- look at teams that draft well Anaheim, Philly, LA, they have hone through years where they have amassed a lot of picks.

Ott is more of a winger,

I doubt Dallas gives him up for a late 1st rounder or even a late first rounder plus Raymond,

We should have gotten picks in the Hodgson Trade instead of Gargnani, as we have a glutton of 6-7 spot d men

The success at a draft must include having lots of picks- look at teams that draft well Anaheim, Philly, LA, they have hone through years where they have amassed a lot of picks.

Ott is more of a winger,

1970, agree with your points, I guess I feel that ANA got guys like Schultz, etem Emerson, devante pelley smith at positions Gillis could have (Schultz- 2nd round, Etem Emerson went after Howden the year we got Ballard), I just think that because we font draft great, we need to try to get a lot of picks in a strong draft year and really stock our cubbards

Archived