The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Triple Crown Winner This Year - I'll Have Another Injured

DonLever

The horse, I'll have Another, has a leg injury, and will not participate in the Belmont Stakes. That mean there will be no Triple Crown winner this year, again. Last Triple Crown Winner was in 1978.

There was tremendous interest in the race because of the link of the jockey to Hastings Park.

Very disappointing.

I heard career is over? that sucks. Oh well maybe they will put him out to pasture so he can have a great life for his final years. I guess they just rode him too hard this last year.

I heard career is over? that sucks. Oh well maybe they will put him out to pasture so he can have a great life for his final years. I guess they just rode him too hard this last year.

Guest BuckFoston

What a freakish thing... when I first heard he was out I thought there may have been some kind of sabotage. I mean to bow out the day before the race, so fishy. Very sad, but it does sound like a natural injury... what a bummer.

I bet two Triactors,

One with Union Rags winning and one with Dullahan winning.

My Union Rags won finished 1st, 2nd and 4th :( (Paynter coming in but my nearest box in 4th)

There is an extremely long, yet interesting, article here:

http://www.canada.co...4907/story.html

As someone who grew up at the track, it deeply saddens me that we may lose this piece of Vancouver's history if Hastings doesn't survive. For me, it's always been and continues to be a great day out with the family, not simply a place to go gambling as some expect (although, yes, we do always bet when we're there). But to sit outside on a beautiful day in the sunshine, the North shore mountains as the back drop with eagles soaring overhead, etc. is a really great experience. There are people from all walks of life and everyone is smiling and happy. You have shared picnic tables and conversation between complete strangers. There is food, drink, music and the atmosphere is fantastic. Of late, many young people dress up in their derby best (including the hats) and it's refreshing to see a venue that allows for this - to be part of a different world. Many birthdays, stags/ettes are held there as it's an environment that allows for many to come together in a festive event.

I am happy to hear that Mario is returning to Vancouver, to officially make this his home (I believe he is moving his entire family here from Mexico?). Was cute that when he got the bad news about his horse that his reaction was, "well, should I go home now?". We are truly blessed to have been represented by such a classy young man.

Hopefully, the track will go on to survive another season and others will experience the thrill of watching Super Mario race. For it truly is something special.

Archived