Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UMB

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

1,613 posts in this topic

Love it!

I really wish Canadian athletes didn't feel the need to apologize for falling short.

The problem with Canadians is too often they are just "happy to be there competing". No they are there to win medals.

Canada needs to change their mentality and the own the podium program certainly is a step in the right direction as it has helped Canada have incremental improvements but more needs to be done still.

Canada should easily be among the top ten countries in total medals.

The problem with Canadians is too often they are just "happy to be there competing". No they are there to win medals.

Canada needs to change their mentality and the own the podium program certainly is a step in the right direction as it has helped Canada have incremental improvements but more needs to be done still.

Canada should easily be among the top ten countries in total medals.

This has been discussed to no end. Canada doesn't support it's athletes as well as many other countries that place above us in the standings. Ever since Own the Podium was created, it's been credited for our increase in medals at the 2006 and 2010 Games. The money's gotta come from somewhere though...

Yes, the talent has to be there first, but they also need to be able to to focus on training and not as much on how they are going to get by.

There is also a point where is the extra funding really worth a few extra medals when other more important sections are being neglected? Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of the games and publicly funded sports. But there is a point where the spending is over the top. ie. the United States.

Agreed. Unfortunately that is the trade off. My point was actually just that.

Also, when do we find out about Custio Clayton's appeal?

http://ca.sports.yah...-183444961.html

If Canadians weren't already riled up enough following the women's soccer team's controversial 4-3 loss to the U.S. Monday, world soccer governing body FIFA added fuel to the fire Tuesday with an announcement that they're investigating not the officiating in the match itself, but rather "incidents that occurred after the conclusion" of the contest.

Now insult to injury, the coach and one or more players may be suspended for the bronze medal game for speaking out against the officiating travesty. As it stands now, we are the clear favorites in that match against France, but without Sinclair, and maybe Tancredi and coach Herdman...maybe others.....France may be the one favoured. This is getting to be a joke.

Since it's now the middle of the night in London, I'm guessing it was denied or the decision stood.

When there was an appeal in gymnastics they had a decision within minutes. Though this could be a different process.

BREAKING: Custio Clayton's appeal has been rejected. Result upheld by AIBA. The Nova Scotian is out of men's boxing at the 2012 Olympics.

thanks. So they think that Clayton came in with his head too low so at least one of the warnings was invalid meaning no deduction in points for Evans. I don`t believe them. Boxing judging is already a mess and with Clayton`s opponent being from GB, the appeal really had no chance. I`ve really got to stop getting my hopes up during these olympics. Too much disappointment after.

The final result of the FIFA investigation into our post-game comments had better go better than this appeal.

These Olympics are tough to watch for sure... the judging/officiating has been nothing but a huge farce from a variety of sports. I knew it was bad before, though it seems that in London, it has reached a new level of rigging and incompetence. It definitely has been a disappointing Olympics for the Canadian team thus far, though there are still medal hopes left, albeit not many.

I don't mean to sound like a sore loser or whiner, but it really feels that Canada has been given the short end of the stick far too many times. It seems that we are always on the wrong side of controversy.

If they were just happy to be there, they wouldn't be in tears apologizing to the nation for not winning a medal.

As for the bold, we are currently 12th.

Canadians competing tomorrow:

1:30am-1:48am Canoe Sprint – Men’s K1 1000 m: final

1:48am-2:05am Canoe Sprint – Men’s C1 1000 m: final

2:16am-2:44am Canoe Sprint – Men’s K2 1000 m: B final

2:00am-4:00am Athletics – Women’s Hammer: qualification

2:10am-2:40am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: 100 m

2:45am-3:30am Athletics – Men’s 5000 m: round 1

3:10am-4:10am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: long jump

3:45am-4:30am Athletics – Women’s 800 m: round 1

4:00am-8:35am Equestrian – Individual Jumping: final rounds, final

4:50am-5:45am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: shot put

5:00am-5:30am Sailing – Men’s 49er: medal race

5:24am-5:32am Freestyle Wrestling – Women’s 48 kg [Huynh (CAN) vs. Nguyen (VIE)]

5:48am-5:56am Freestyle Wrestling – Women’s 63 kg [Dugrenier (CAN) vs. Icho (JPN)]

7:40am-8:30am BMX – Men’s: seeding run

10:00am-12:30pm Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: high jump

11:00am-2:10pm Diving – Women’s Plaform: preliminaries

11:05am-1:30pm Athletics – Men’s Javelin: qualification

11:45am-12:00pm Athletics – Women’s 1500 m: semi-finals

12:10pm-12:30pm Athletics – Men’s 200 m: semi-finals

1:30pm-2:00pm Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: 400 m

Final few days of the Olympics sees taekwondo and freestyle wrestling begin. Everyone prepare yourselves, more judged sports. Good luck to our athletes competing tomorrow. Canada is cheering you on :towel: .

Canoe sprint!!

Adamn van koeverdan is a medal favorite!! Look for canada to pick up ammedal tomorrow

Also the US trolled us hard in basketball, 91-48 :(

Not many people talking about it but Canada got jobbed in synchronized swimming today too. 4th behind the Chinese despite having a more difficult, faster and more original routine AND better execution to boot. I just hope they can overcome the judges in the team routine. :(

We are 12th in total medals but officially we are 29th because the ioc ranks it by quality of medals, so golds first, then silvers, then bronze.

I disagree with that though, i believe total medals is a more accurate way of calculating it.

Also the US trolled us hard in basketball, 91-48 :(

We are 12th in total medals but officially we are 29th because the ioc ranks it by quality of medals, so golds first, then silvers, then bronze.

I disagree with that though, i believe total medals is a more accurate way of calculating it.