The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

For those of you who are saying our athletes can't win, stop. It's not like you can do any better than them.

And for those of you who believe we are doing terrible and we aren't meeting expectations, guess what? We came into the Olympics and our goal was to place in the top 12 in total medals. Guess what place we are now? 12th! Though our 1 gold medal isn't the most impressive, I praise the efforts our athletes have made and am perfectly happy with our 1 gold medal, as well as 4 silvers and 9 bronzes. 12th best country out of 200+ countries in total medals is pretty impressive.

EDIT: Champions of Nothing beat me on the last point lol.

For those of you who are saying our athletes can't win, stop. It's not like you can do any better than them.

And for those of you who believe we are doing terrible and we aren't meeting expectations, guess what? We came into the Olympics and our goal was to place in the top 12 in total medals. Guess what place we are now? 12th! Though our 1 gold medal isn't the most impressive, I praise the efforts our athletes have made and am perfectly happy with our 1 gold medal, as well as 4 silvers and 9 bronzes. 12th best country out of 200+ countries in total medals is pretty impressive.

EDIT: Champions of Nothing beat me on the last point lol.

Well for one in the rowing Van Koeverden was leading the race that was a gold lost right there. Not to mention Simon Whitfield who crashed and Dylan Armstrong in shot put who didn't even medal.

Are you happy seeing countries like North Korea, Iran, and Cuba with more gold medals than Canada? I mean seriously 1 gold medal in the freaking trampoline? :picard:

Van Koeverdan wasn't an overwhelming favorite to win. Even doing in, they knew it was between him, the Norwegian and the German all had equal chances of winning. Plus, his strategy was to get out to an early lead and make the field catch up. He said himself he couldn't have had a better race, and it wasn't quite good enough.

If I had to choose between Canada's results and any of the countries you mentioned, I take Canada every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Cuba? Great, they have 3 golds, 7 totals medals. All of their medals either come in track events or combat sports (Wrestling, Judo or boxing). They don't compete in a large number of events whereas Canada competes in everything.

Iran? They compete in 2 events. Wrestling and Weightlifting. Great, you get to watch your country compete for like 3 days. Yipee.

South Korea? They are having a very good Olympics. But again, they dominated a few categories like Archery, Fencing and Shooting.

I'd rather cheer on a country that doesn't dominate just one or two events but rather has competitors in all events even if very few are medal favorites.

There is a real chance we could only end up with one gold, if that happens we'll have finished near the bottom of the medal standings (IOC counts Gold Medals only in rankings, that is why we won at 2010). Is that enough of a reality check to persuade people into investing a little more into our athletes?

To show that there is money on the books all over the place in this country right now, Vancouver just spent $3 mil on designing a new website.

Forgot to post this last night:

1:00am-1:30am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: 110 m hurdles

1:55am-4:00am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: discus

2:00am-3:30am Diving – Women’s Platform: semi-final

2:08am-2:30am Canoe Sprint – Women’s K1 500 m: B final

4:00am-7:00am Swimming – Women’s Marathon 10 km: race, final

4:55am-7:00am Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: pole vault

5:00am-7:00am Football – Women’s bronze medal match (CAN vs. FRA)

5:14am-5:45am Freestyle Wrestling – Women’s 55 kg: 1/8 final [Verbeek (CAN) vs. Geeta (IND)]

5:42am-6:15am Freestyle Wrestling – Women’s 72 kg: 1/8 final [Callahan (CAN) vs. Ochirbat (MGL)]

6:50am-7:50am Rhythmic Gymnastics – Women’s Group All-Around: qualification, rotation 1

7:00am-7:45am Synchronized Swimming – Women’s Team: technical routine

7:00am-9:00am BMX – Men’s: quarter-finals

10:30am-12:30pm Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: javelin throw

11:00am-12:00pm Diving – Women's Platform: final

11:30am-12:00pm Athletics – Women’s 800 m: semi-finals

1:00pm-2:10pm Athletics – Women’s Javelin Throw: final

1:20pm-1:45pm Athletics – Men’s Decathlon: 1500 m, final

Both of Canada's platform divers made the final :towel:

lol

But yeah, I agree, it's horrible to watch right now. Hanging on for dear life, cannot hold onto the ball at all, and the Canadian ladies keep giving the ball away far too easily. Defensive miscues and poor positioning.

We're lucky it's not 3-0 France right now.

Archived