The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

FYI: Christine Sinclair is coming home tomorrow. She will land at YVR at 11am.

No word on whether or not the rest of the team will be with her. Sadly it's a work day for most of us but it'd be awesome for her to arrive to some fanfare. Hoping that people who are able, do go to welcome her home.

FYI: Christine Sinclair is coming home tomorrow. She will land at YVR at 11am.

No word on whether or not the rest of the team will be with her. Sadly it's a work day for most of us but it'd be awesome for her to arrive to some fanfare. Hoping that people who are able, do go to welcome her home.

So is anyone disappointed medal wise for Canada? As for the host, I thought the London Olympics were good but not as good as ours. Why? Possibly being a homer, but I felt our Olympics was an opening up party for Canadians and we really united and showed real nationalism. I didn't see that in London.

So is anyone disappointed medal wise for Canada? As for the host, I thought the London Olympics were good but not as good as ours. Why? Possibly being a homer, but I felt our Olympics was an opening up party for Canadians and we really united and showed real nationalism. I didn't see that in London.

Remember, during the Vancouver Olympics, there was hundred's of thousands people on the streets of Vancouver. I didn't see that many people on the streets in London compared to Vancouver (hoping nobody proves me wrong)

I want to say something deep and insightful about these Games, but I'm too close to the end to sum it up.

I think the opening and closing ceremonies had their moments. The Olympic Flame monument with the petals was very elegant, and I did like the tribute to Britain's music, but not all of their music should be shared. Let's leave it at that.

As for the Canadians, I was pretty satisfied with our performance. It would have been unreasonable to expect us to match our high-water mark of the Vancouver Games, but it was especially disappointing that Whitfield, Hughes, Despaties or Lamaze didn't have the chance to do their best due to injuries. It would have been amazing to see them on the podium one final time. For the medals we did win, some of them are sentimentally more valuble than gold. Oldershaw's race comes to mind, as does the Men's eights silver, which was for me the most exciting moment of the Olympics:

Announcer: "THE GREAT BRITONS ARE FAILING, THE GREAT BRITONS ARE SLIPPING BACK! IT'S OPPORTUNITY STRIKES NOW FOR BRIAN PRICE! LOOK OVER THERE AND TELL THEM, "BOYS, YOU'RE MOVING, YOU CAN GET THEM IN THE LAST 20 STROKES!' "

Other announcer, trying to stay calm: "Here comes Great Britain, here comes Germany, AND HERE COMES CANADA! Final metres in the men's eight, Germany trying to hold on, AND NOW THE CANADIAN CREW, FIRING THROUGH!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xYKJtykPKA&feature=player_detailpage#t=391s

Archived