The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

I think the reason Vancouver's opening ceremony seemed better to many of us is simply because it MEANT more to us. It was about our culture and appealed to our sense of pride as Canadians. I would bet if you asked an English person how they felt they would say London> Vancouver. China is completely different IMO because they wet absolutely all out in terms of scale and volume. It was going to be impressive simply based on the number of performers and people involved.

And somebody mentioned McCartney lip syncing...let's not forget Bryan Adams' lip syncing gaffe.

NHL players can't get enough of London Olympics:

With another month to go before training camps are scheduled to open, NHL players have to find ways to pass the time. Of course, exercising is one way. But many players have become enamored with the 2012 Olympic Games from London, England.

Philadelphia Flyers forward Matt Read (@MReader24) watched Sunday's dramatic table tennis match that saw American 16-year-old Ariel Hsing nearly upset China's Li Xiaoxia, a favorite to win the gold medal. Hsing took Xiaoxia to the limit before losing the best-of-seven match in six games: 11-4, 9-11, 11-6, 6-11, 11-8, 11-9.

"This ping pong match is crazy," Read tweeted Sunday. "I don't think I could return a serve."

Players from across the NHL have expressed their excitement over the London Olympics via Twitter in recent days.

Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8) -- who has competed for Russia at the Winter Games -- has been awfully busy in London, where his girlfriend, tennis player Maria Kirilenko, is competing. Kirilenko is the No. 15-ranked female tennis player in the world and won her first-round matches in both the singles and doubles tournament, which means Ovechkin -- who has been mainly tweeting photographs -- will likely be sticking around in London a bit longer.

"me and maria near the olympic stadium!!! had a gr8 time!!," Ovechkin tweeted Sunday, along with a photo of himself and Kirilenko.

Other sports are receiving attention from NHL players, too. Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Jones (@jonesry28) has become fascinated with water polo.

"Speaking of crazy sports...Water Polo! You mean their feet aren't touching bottom?" Jones wrote via Twitter. "Treading water and getting punched in the face.. awesome!

"These swimmers are insane.. If they had a 10M doggy paddle event there is a chance I could compete. #stillnotlikely," Jones added.

Wojtek Wolski (@WojtekWolski86), who recently signed a deal with Washington, spent some time watching his country compete in women's volleyball. Wolski was born in Zabrze, Poland, before moving to Toronto.

"Watching the Polish volleyball team dominate right now. #polishpride #olympics #volleyball," Wolski said.

Steven Kampfer (@SteveKampfer47), who appeared in 13 games for the Minnesota Wild last season, was cheering on the American female volleyball players.

"The USA women's volleyball team is sick. Sending absolute missiles to Brazil out there. #Olympics," Kampfer tweeted.

Indeed, the admiration NHL players have for these Olympians from around the world appears to be at an all-time high. Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers (@jamalmayers) couldn't believe what he was seeing while watching some gymnastics.

"I have a new found respect for all gymnasts! ESP Team USA women! WOW! #mental&physicaltoughness," Mayers wrote.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638860&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Canada beats GBR in women's basketball 73-65! First victory of their olympics!

Nice. They worked hard to qualify. Hope they still have a few more wins in them

Now this is pathetic:

The lead story on TSN's website is about an American swimmer winning Gold, because she has dual citizenship and as such, has a tenuous connection to Canada....

Embarrassing.

Definitely embarrassing. If the medal is not being won for us why are we boasting about it? Honestly, most Canadians have accepted that we're a winter sports country. We cheer just as hard for our summer athletes but i don't think anyone will be devastated if we don't top the medal chart here in London. We're proud of our athletes who wear the red and white proudly. We don't need to ride on the coat tails of an American.

Archived