The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

The Canadian team didn't really have much of a chance against Japan, so it's nice to see them put up the fight that they did. Look forward to the match against Russia. There's a team more at their level. Carrying the momentum from this last match, they have a real chance at winning it. I hope they seize the opportunity.

What a story for Canada's women's doubles badminton team, they were originally 3rd in their group, knocked out and prevented from advancing out of the group stage to the quarterfinals, but then the chinese and korean teams that placed 1st/2nd in their group got disqualified, allowing the Canadians to advance past the quarterfinals, and they ended up winning their quarterfinal matchup allowing to advance to the semifinals. Canada now just needs to win one of their next two matches to win a medal.

They were outmatched against Japan. You could see it after several serves in the first 'round'. Also, why was the Canadian coach in the stands while the Japanese coach was on the sidelines? That's like having AV in the press box eating Nachos.

Perhaps in some cases. But with badminton we weren't even supposed to be there in the first place. The team was just making the most of what they were given. All things considered they did well. And they're looking good for the bronze, which I'm sure is what they've been eyeing since they got through from the DQs.

For whatever reason Canadians seem to find a way to end up in 4th place far too often, but that's not a fair criticism of all these athletes.

Japan was definitely expected to make the semi-final, considering that they were ranked fourth for the Olympic tournament.

Even though you may think that our athletes are struggling, in reality the vast majority of them so far have surpassed expectations, especially considering that in Beijing Canada had 0 medals through 8 days of competition and that we only had 1 through 7 days in Athens. And a lot of our athletes aren't expected to medal or compete in the finals, especially in swimming and track and field which are the two sports that give out a lot of quota places to represent more countries.

By comparison, a country with a similar amount of athletes as Canada, Spain only has 2 medals so far.

True. But I believe Rod Black as a commentator? mentioned that Japan wasn't suppose to be there either. So I figured we would have fared better. Oh well.

I know all of this is tough for our athletes and other nations have far more athletes than us but it's kind of disappointing to see some of our guys' struggle to even make contention for a medal.

Final Canadian competitors of the night:

3:00pm-4:00pm Beach Volleyball - Men's: lucky loser (CAN vs. ITA)

A win by the Canadian duo of Binstock and Reader would put them through to the round of 16. We're up against an Italian team that underperformed in the round robin. Should be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Archived