Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

SILVER MEDAL SWIM

Posted Image

Posted Image

After winning a bronze medal at Beijing, Ryan Cochrane brought home Canada's 3rd silver medal of the games. Cochrane won his heat with a time of 14:49.31, placing 3rd overall and advancing to the finals. In the final, Cochrane started off in third, and came on strong in the second half, overtaking the Korean for second place. Near the end, Tunsinian swimmer Mellouli challenged Cochrane for the silver medal, but Cochrane brought home the silver. Congrats to Ryan Cochrane on Olympic Silver!

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#1292 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Quick question. In the women's football did the Americans cheat, or was it the fault of the referee?

It was the fault of the ref that we lost. I don't really see how the Americans "cheated" unless they bribed the ref etc. Then again you could call the American's breaking rules "cheating" but it was the fault of the ref not to call it.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1293 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

It was the fault of the ref that we lost. I don't really see how the Americans "cheated" unless they bribed the ref etc. Then again you could call the American's breaking rules "cheating" but it was the fault of the ref not to call it.

Cool. I just saw a lot of people rooting against them and wondered why.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1294 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Cool. I just saw a lot of people rooting against them and wondered why.

There were two calls that screwed us over. The handball was a completely miscall by the ref, but Abby Wombat (I call her that) was actually counting the seconds at the ref so the ref had no choice but to call the delay of game. If you consider counting at the ref cheating (technically it isn't, but I don't find it very sportsmanlike and I despise Wombat for doing it) then you could say the americans cheated and the ref screwed us over.

It's especially unfair that if we were inclined to count at the ref when Hopeless Solo had the ball, we could have forced the same call. Wombat just had the gall to do it.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#1295 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

BRONZE MEDAL JUMP

Posted Image

Posted Image

Derek Drouin brought home Canada's 7th bronze medal in the men's high jump event. In the qualification round, Drouin cleared 2.16M on his first attempt before suffering a scare, not clearing 2.21M until his third and final attempt. He then proceeded to clear 2.26M on his second attempt and then once again, suffering a scare, not clearing 2.29 until the final attempt. Drouin scored 2.29M and placed 2nd in his group and 6th overall, advancing to the finals. In the finals, Drouin cleared 2.20M, 2.25M, and 2.29M without missing until failing to clear 2.33M. Drouin ended up with 2.29M, which brought home the bronze medal for Canada. Congrats to Derek Drouin!

Edited by UMADBRO?, 09 August 2012 - 03:25 PM.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1296 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

There were two calls that screwed us over. The handball was a completely miscall by the ref, but Abby Wombat (I call her that) was actually counting the seconds at the ref so the ref had no choice but to call the delay of game. If you consider counting at the ref cheating (technically it isn't, but I don't find it very sportsmanlike and I despise Wombat for doing it) then you could say the americans cheated and the ref screwed us over.

It's especially unfair that if we were inclined to count at the ref when Hopeless Solo had the ball, we could have forced the same call. Wombat just had the gall to do it.

The ref was still crap though what the hell was the handball after the free kick from the counting and why wasn't there a handball during extra time when Rapinoe handballed in her box????

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1297 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

The ref was still crap though what the hell was the handball after the free kick from the counting and why wasn't there a handball during extra time when Rapinoe handballed in her box????

yeah, the refereeing was still terrible the whole game but the delay of game call at least she can't be blamed for as wombat was right there counting. If she doesn't call it then it appears that she's biased toward Canada. She had no choice but to call it. She can get slammed for every other bad call but this one she doesn't deserve to get blamed for. I place the blame directly on the shoulders of Wombat.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#1298 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

So, time to start talking about who will be Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremonies? Right now I'd say it's between Rosie MacLennan and Christine Sinclair.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#1299 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Any more medal hopefuls for Canada?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#1300 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Not for gold I don't think. But for like bronze probably

Also I think Sinclair should carry the flag at the closing and Phelps for the US

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1301 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

If you had to call these games "The Games of ____________" who would you choose: Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt?
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#1302 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Not for gold I don't think. But for like bronze probably

Also I think Sinclair should carry the flag at the closing and Phelps for the US

There is potential for gold in women's mountain biking, Catharine Pendrel comes in as the reigning world champ. But of course, anything can happen in that race so who knows.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#1303 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

If you had to call these games "The Games of ____________" who would you choose: Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt?

Bolt
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#1304 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

yeah, the refereeing was still terrible the whole game but the delay of game call at least she can't be blamed for as wombat was right there counting. If she doesn't call it then it appears that she's biased toward Canada. She had no choice but to call it. She can get slammed for every other bad call but this one she doesn't deserve to get blamed for. I place the blame directly on the shoulders of Wombat.

What Wambach did wasn't against the rules. Ask John Herdman, he'll say it was smart and more players should be as quick thinking as her. The ref did NOT have to handle it the way she did. She could have pulled out a yellow and let play go on. She could have done so on a throw in (as apparently we waste time on those too?). The referee handled it very poorly.

#1305 canuck champs

canuck champs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

The aforementioned Catherine Pendrel as well as our taekwondo team. Two of them are seeded number 2 in their weight class, and the third is seeded number six.
Posted Image

#1306 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

The ladies 10m platform diving could be a shot for a Canadian medal.

#1307 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's kind of sad to see some of our top athletes get demolished in the final or not even qualify in their sport.
Posted Image

#1308 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

The aforementioned Catherine Pendrel as well as our taekwondo team. Two of them are seeded number 2 in their weight class, and the third is seeded number six.

Do you know if our men's wrestling team has anyone capable of medaling? or the rest of our canoe sprinters?
Posted Image

#1309 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

What Wambach did wasn't against the rules. Ask John Herdman, he'll say it was smart and more players should be as quick thinking as her. The ref did NOT have to handle it the way she did. She could have pulled out a yellow and let play go on. She could have done so on a throw in (as apparently we waste time on those too?). The referee handled it very poorly.

It isn't against the rules, but I find it unsportsmanlike

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1310 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

I would say neither. I don't really think there was one athlete who absolutely dominated the Olympics. 2008 was Phelps because he won 8 golds though. Maybe Missy Franklin she won like 4 gold and a bronze.
But if I had to choose I would go with Usain Bolt, though I don't see it being fully accurate.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1311 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

US is running away with the total medal count again, 90-80, just like in 2008. Still close in total golds, 39-37

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1312 edler rocks

edler rocks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

hard to say. both were expected to do great things and both did. both pretty much cemented themselves as legends.

#1313 canuck champs

canuck champs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Do you know if our men's wrestling team has anyone capable of medaling? or the rest of our canoe sprinters?

I don't think that anyone in the men's wrestling team has a realistic chance, but anything can happen, especially if they get a good draw. In the canoe sprint, Canada's best remaining medal chance is probably Mark De Jonge, who finished 6th in the World Championships. Again though, it's a 200 m sprint - so anything can happen.
Posted Image

#1314 canuck champs

canuck champs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Canadians competing tomorrow:

1:30am-1:51am Canoe Sprint – Men’s K1 200 m: heats
1:51am-2:12am Canoe Sprint – Men’s C1 200 m: heats
2:12am-2:33am Canoe Sprint – Women’s K1 200 m: heats
3:45am-4:15am Taekwondo – Men’s -80 kg: preliminary [Yeremyan (AZE) vs. Michaud (CAN)]
4:00am-7:00am Swimming – Men’s Marathon 10 km: race, final
4:30am-4:45am Taekwondo – Women’s -67 kg: preliminary [Azizova (AZE) vs. Sergerie (CAN)]
5:30am-5:40am Freestyle Wrestling – Men’s 55 kg: 1/8 final [Peker (TUR) vs. Tremblay (CAN)]
5:40am-5:50am Freestyle Wrestling – Men’s 74 kg: 1/8 final [Gentry (CAN) vs. Yadav (IND)]
6:50am-7:50am Rhythmic Gymnastics – Women’s Group All-Around: qualification, rotation 2
7:00am-8:30am Synchronized Swimming – Women’s Team: free routine, final
11:00am-2:45pm Diving – Men’s Platform: preliminaries
11:45am-12:00pm Athletics – Men’s 4x100 m Relay: round 1

First chance to see our Canadian taekwondo athletes tomorrow. Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow!
Posted Image

#1315 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

BMX is funny.

Posted Image

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 09 August 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#1316 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Just watching some freestyle dressage. Now THAT'S a bizarre sport. Basically horses prancing around to music. It's cool, but weird.

#1317 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just watching some freestyle dressage. Now THAT'S a bizarre sport. Basically horses prancing around to music. It's cool, but weird.

I saw that too. Apparently it takes years to train the horses to do that.

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 10 August 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#1318 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

What are our chances for the swimming marathon and for the synchronized swimming?

#1319 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

We are doing pretty good in synchro swimming, 4th heading into final routine.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#1320 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

Shouldn't be in the Olympics, in my opinion.

The fact that dressage is an Olympic event, and Rugby is not, is a ???? joke.

RIP LB RR PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.