1612 replies to this topic

#1321 canuck champs

canuck champs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

Canada got a bronze medal in the marathon swim :shock: ! Congrats to Richard Weinberger :towel:
Posted Image

#1322 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

for all those wondering, we have a very good chance at gold in the mens K1 200M.
de Jonge was the fastest in the semifinals, and since the entire race is a full out sprint noone was sandbagging. it's not a long enough distance to sandbag since the race is so very tight.

#1323 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hopefully Canada can win another gold medal, would kind of like to hear our national anthem one more time :P
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#1324 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Once again, the syncro judges at work.

#1325 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

A vancouverite wrestler, Matt Gentry, will fight for bronze in men's wrestling later today after just winning his repechage.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#1326 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Nice comeback by Spain in b-ball!
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#1327 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Watching a girl twirl a ribbon around. I feel like I'm watching the talent portion of a beauty pageant.

#1328 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Am I the only one who is getting a bit tired of Usain Bolt's cockiness?

I am still in awe of his athletic prowess but I really do find that his need for so much media attention and just the sheer volume of what he does to attract it is a bit much. And I don't think you get to call yourself a legend. When the world coins a person "a legend", that's when they become one. Maybe I'm old school on this but I prefer my athletes to have modesty. I've always preferred a Crosby, Wickenheiser, Sinclair, etc. to an Ovechkin or Bolt

IOC President Jacques Rogge on the issue: http://t.co/9SGDY0qW
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#1329 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lp
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#1330 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,010 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Am I the only one who is getting a bit tired of Usain Bolt's cockiness?

I am still in awe of his athletic prowess but I really do find that his need for so much media attention and just the sheer volume of what he does to attract it is a bit much. And I don't think you get to call yourself a legend. When the world coins a person "a legend", that's when they become one. Maybe I'm old school on this but I prefer my athletes to have modesty. I've always preferred a Crosby, Wickenheiser, Sinclair, etc. to an Ovechkin or Bolt

IOC President Jacques Rogge on the issue: http://t.co/9SGDY0qW

I agree. I think a large part of Bolt's popularity worldwide is the fact that he isn't American. If he were wearing the stars and stripes, we'd all hate him.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1331 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Synchro swimming judges suck

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#1332 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Matt Gentry Wrestling for Bronze right now

#1333 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

:( Gentry lost, Bronze goes to Russia

#1334 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Matt Gentry loses to a Russian in the bronze medal match.
Posted Image

#1335 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Men's 4x100, Canada heat on now :)

#1336 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Holy crap. Jamaica SO far ahead I everyone. Canada came third but GBR might get disqualified bumping us to 2nd.

GBR disqualified, Canada bumped up to 2nd, Netherlands up to 3rd. So Jamaica, Canada and Netherlands qualify for the finals.

Edited by ckamo, 10 August 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#1337 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Anybody following the "Controversial" comments that Bolt made about Carl Lewis? The americans are now saying he's hurting his image by taking shots at Lewis and I found in another article saying how the the Jamaican team is on some sort of juice. I dunno, I just can't stand the americans. When they win they are considered the best. When they lose, it's oh it must be steroids. Same thing with the 16 year old chinese swimmer.

Back to the Carl Lewis thing, this guy was just as dirty as Ben Johnson back in the day. He was even tested positive back in 84, but was allowed to compete. Bolt has every right to slam this guy.

#1338 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Some americans are the most arrogant winners and the sorest of losers.
Posted Image

#1339 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Some americans are the most arrogant winners and the sorest of losers.

Agreed. They call us sore losers, but we don't produce ESPN 30for30 movies on bad reffing, or questionable calls.

#1340 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Synchro swimming judges suck

Yup. What a sham. Not just for Canada but for Spain too. Both of them were far superior to China both in the originality and difficulty of their routines, heck I'd even argue they were better than Russia in the free routine (not in the technical, Russia was the clear winner there.) Unfortunately synchro is still under the old judging system where you get marked out of 10, and there's no accounting for degree of difficulty in the routines. So you can jam pack your routine full of spectacular lifts and high intensity figures (those are the underwater leg movements) but you won't get rewarded for it if the judges just decide that they don't like you. Think of it this way, it's kind of like a figure skater doing 10 quads and winding up 4th because the judges didn't like his costume.

Synchro really needs to look at changing the scoring, in the same way figure skating and gymnastics did so that teams get rewarded for trying more challenging choreography. Synchronized swimming has always been a fringe sport in the Olympics and I know most people probably think it shouldn't be there. Well it's going to continue being a fringe sport as long as countries that are trying to push the boundaries and make more and more spectacular and crowd pleasing routines get placed behind teams doing the same tired old stuff. If I were the IOC I'd be threatening to pull them from the Olympics if they don't fix the judging. (On a separate note I also think they should be encouraging more male involvement in the sport, but that's maybe a more difficult issue to tackle.)
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#1341 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

I saw that too. Apparently it takes years to train the horses to do that.

Squirrels, total complete tangent here, but I've been meaning to tell you that thanks to you I'm totally obsessed with The Civil Wars now, haha. So thanks for that!

*end tangent, back to the Olympics*
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#1342 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's sad that the Olympics are so dirty and so corrupt, but we still follow it closely. The soccer game between the US and Canada will go down as simple as bad reffing. Or is it really? Was there pressure from up top to make sure there is a US and Japan rematch? We all know that a Japan Canada final just won't garner the attention. There is never any proof for these types of things, but the olympics will always have scandal after scandal that will make people think of conspiracies.

#1343 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Anybody following the "Controversial" comments that Bolt made about Carl Lewis? The americans are now saying he's hurting his image by taking shots at Lewis and I found in another article saying how the the Jamaican team is on some sort of juice. I dunno, I just can't stand the americans. When they win they are considered the best. When they lose, it's oh it must be steroids. Same thing with the 16 year old chinese swimmer.

Back to the Carl Lewis thing, this guy was just as dirty as Ben Johnson back in the day. He was even tested positive back in 84, but was allowed to compete. Bolt has every right to slam this guy.

How about the awkward statement put to Bolt after the 200? Something along the lines of Jamaican Drug team, when I assume he meant Jamaican sprint team. Don't know if the guy speaking was an American though.
For some unknown reason they could never pin anything on Carl Lewis, but I for one, don't believe that Ben Johnson was the only dirty sprinter in that era, he was the one that got caught. Are you sure that he tested positive? How long did Marion Jones proclaim her cleaniness??

#1344 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Squirrels, total complete tangent here, but I've been meaning to tell you that thanks to you I'm totally obsessed with The Civil Wars now, haha. So thanks for that!

*end tangent, back to the Olympics*

Hahaha! You're welcome.

#1345 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

17 medals with 2 days to go in the Olympics, what are the odds we win 3 more to get to 20, and what are the odds we win another gold medal?
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#1346 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Iunno about the gold but I'm sure we can bump up our medal count to 18 or 19, not so sure about 20

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#1347 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

It's sad that the Olympics are so dirty and so corrupt, but we still follow it closely. The soccer game between the US and Canada will go down as simple as bad reffing. Or is it really? Was there pressure from up top to make sure there is a US and Japan rematch? We all know that a Japan Canada final just won't garner the attention. There is never any proof for these types of things, but the olympics will always have scandal after scandal that will make people think of conspiracies.

I brought up the US/Japan vs. Canada/Japan bit in the other thread and someone made a good point. If they REALLY wanted to sell tickets, they would have made sure GBR made it further than the quarters.

#1348 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

17 medals with 2 days to go in the Olympics, what are the odds we win 3 more to get to 20, and what are the odds we win another gold medal?

Our K2 200m and K1 200m athletes in kayak have both made the finals and are medal favourites, so that's possibly 2 more medals tomorrow and I think they both have a chance at gold though Mark de Jonge in the K1 200m has the better chance.
Posted Image

#1349 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Watching a girl twirl a ribbon around. I feel like I'm watching the talent portion of a beauty pageant.

but it's "one of the most exciting apparatus in rhythmic gymnastics"...

LOLAMERICANBROADCASTERS

#1350 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Our K2 200m and K1 200m athletes in kayak have both made the finals and are medal favourites, so that's possibly 2 more medals tomorrow and I think they both have a chance at gold though Mark de Jonge in the K1 200m has the better chance.

yeah, de Jonge definitely has the best chance at gold, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 medals on the water tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.