The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

Another quote from Christine Sinclair:

Obviously,we're disappointed and upset," said Sinclair. "We felt that the referee took it away from us, so, yes, we are disappointed. We feel like we didn't lose, we feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important that the ref decided the result before the game started

Every time a goalie has possession of the ball, they control it for well over 6 seconds. And I mean EVERY TIME. If you watch the full game replay of the CAN-USA game, I swear, every time the goalie has possession of the ball, they have it for well over 6 seconds. McLeod only had it for 8-10 seconds.

They can try but it will be more than likely not be called, what I was told was the ref looks to see if the handball was intentional by the player, if it was intentional then it's a handball.

Everybody is an expert these days. Have you ever actually played the sport competitively? :picard:

Right from FIFA, there are 4 fouls a goal keeper can commit:

1. Having possession of the ball for more than 6 seconds

2. Touching the ball a second time with his hands BEFORE the ball touches another player

3. Touches the ball with his hands after receiving it directly from a throw in by a teammate

4.Touches the ball with his hands after receiving a pass directly from a teammate

The restart is an Indirect Free kick.

Based on person experience, there's a lot of judgement involved with the 6 second rule, and a ref won't call it if a keeper holds the ball for 7 or 8 seconds, that's just dumb. But she held on to it for close to 15 seconds, so the call was technically correct.

Perhaps, I only started watching the game at about the 60th minute so I wouldn't have seen that. There's a lot of judgement involved, and it's much more likely to be called if a team does that when leading by a goal late in a game.

There is video proof of Hope Solo holding the ball for longer in the same game. Also why was a handball not called against the 'States and called against us?

People are complain b/c there were several bad calls, not just one. First US goal should not have counted either. The US player pushed the Canadian into the net which effected the goalie not being able to get to the ball.

#CanadaWasRobbed trended in the UK, and in Australia, I am thinking they know more about footy than the people saying the 'ref was not a factor'.

Everybody is an expert these days. Have you ever actually played the sport competitively? :picard:

http://www.fifa.com/...ofthegameen.pdf

Right from FIFA, there are 4 fouls a goal keeper can commit:

1. Having possession of the ball for more than 6 seconds

2. Touching the ball a second time with his hands BEFORE the ball touches another player

3. Touches the ball with his hands after receiving it directly from a throw in by a teammate

4.Touches the ball with his hands after receiving a pass directly from a teammate

The restart is an Indirect Free kick from where the offence occured. She was holding onto the ball when she should not have been inside the box, that's where the kick was from.

Based on person experience, there's a lot of judgement involved with the 6 second rule, and a ref won't call it if a keeper holds the ball for 7 or 8 seconds, that's just dumb. But she held on to it for close to 15 seconds, so the call was technically correct.

I've played football/soccer for over 20 years, and not ONCE have I ever seen in real life or on TV a ref call this bull. A ref will give the keeper a warning if it's clear the goalkeeper is intentionally wasting time, but McLeod was not.

It's horsecrap.

Honestly, the reffing in the entire game was suspect, and most definitely in favour of the USA. I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian. I'm saying that as a person who has played and watched soccer for over 2 decades.

Terrible, terrible officiating. I doubt it was rigged, but man that ref sure made a good case for shenanigans. With the scandal in all the other sports, who knows?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Canadians competing tomorrow:

2:00am-2:19am Track Cycling – Men’s Keirin: round 1

2:00am-3:30am Diving – Men’s Springboard: semi-final

2:00am-4:15am Athletics – Women’s Javelin: qualification

2:00am-8:15am Equestrian – Individual Dressage: day 3

2:07am-2:28am Canoe Sprint – Women’s K1 500 m: heats

2:19am-3:19am Track Cycling – Women’s Omnium: 3 km individual pursuit

2:55am-3:45am Athletics – Women’s 5000 m: round 1

3:30am-6:00am Triathlon – Men’s: race, final

3:50am-4:50am Athletics – Men’s 200 m: round 1

4:00am-5:00am Sailing – Men’s 470: race 9

5:00am-5:30am Sailing – Men’s RS:X: medal race

5:15am-6:15am Sailing – Men’s 470: race 10

6:00am-6:30am Sailing – Women’s RS:X: medal race

6:00am-8:00am Basketball – Women’s quarter-final (CAN vs. USA)

7:00am-8:30am Synchronized Swimming – Women’s Duet: final

8:07am-8:30am Track Cycling – Women’s Omnium: 10 km scratch race

8:53am-9:30am Track Cycling – Women’s Omnium: 500 m time trial, final

11:00am-1:00pm Athletics – Men’s High Jump: final

11:15am-11:30am Athletics – Women’s 100 m Hurdles: semi-finals

11:55am-12:15pm Athletics – Men’s 800 m: semi-finals

12:25pm-12:45pm Athletics – Women’s 200 m: semi-finals

1:45pm-2:00pm Boxing – Men’s Welter: quarter-finals [Clayton (CAN) vs. Evans (GBR)]

Go Canada! :towel:

Archived