The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

Liu Xiang, former 2004 Athens Gold Medal 110 metres winner, crashes at first hurdle and injures himself again, similar to what happen in Beijing 4 years ago.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/chinese-hurdler-liu-xiang-crashes-out-of-olympics-again/article4466433/

A rather pathetic figure hops on one foot to the finish line after collapsing.

His career is definitely over.

Well, that was a heart-breaker for sure, definitely feel like Canada got jobbed on those calls, but we can't really say for sure they would have won.. I just hope the Canadians can shake this off and re-focus in time for the bronze medal match. Nothing would be worse than going home with 4th place.

Speaking of Canada getting jobbed, anyone else watch the synchronized swimming duet preliminaries today? I might be the only person on this forum that cares (mostly because I was a synchronized swimmer for 10 years...) but it's very clear that sport still hasn't worked out its judging issues. Spain and Canada's routines were both clearly superior to China's and yet China still sits second (no argument on Russia being first, they're in a league of their own.) Unfortunately it's still very much a reputation based sport and they seem to be scoring routines based on their ranking coming in to the Olympics. Even more unfortunate is fact that the judging may never get fixed given that it's not a high profile sport like figure skating or gymnastics and thus no one is going to raise a stink about it. Despite my connection to the sport, stuff like this (along with the fact that there's still no male representation) makes me question whether it belongs in the Olympics.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/canwnt?before=1344303751

“Here is the exact transcription of what the BBC announcer said immediately after the ref blew the whistle: ‘I knew she was going to do that. She held on to the ball too long. What Abby Wambach was saying to the referee was that she held on to the ball too long, and she’s given a free kick away for her team, past the six seconds. Abby Wambach was counting to the referee as soon as she got it and made the referee make a decision.’”- Lovingthegreen from BigSoccer

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/canwnt?before=1344303751

Abby Wambach should shut up and play soccer. She isn`t a referee and counting at the ref was cheap. It's one thing if the referee makes a bad call but to be forced to do it b/c someone is counting at you is just so low.

I also learned today that Hope Solo tested positive for a banned substance but she was only given a warning because the substance was a part of her pre-menstrual meds and she didn't think the meds enhanced her performance in any way.

Maybe so but I'm sure there have been athletes banned in similar circumstances. Why the USADA believes her, I do not no. She should've been banned.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/olympic-games-hope-solo-warned-positive-drug-test/story?id=16746539#.UCE21k2PXVY

Honestly? If Wambach had alerted the ref of the stalling AND the ref warned McLeod and had her warnings acknowledged as is alleged, then I have to wonder if the call wasn't more warranted than the majority of us first thought. The handball call is still a killer though.

I lose no respect whatsoever for Abby Wambach for what she did. To me, not much different than what Herdman did.

Still on the US-Canada soccer match, I asked a friend of mine who is from North London and writes a footy column for the local rag what he thought of the call, just to get an unbiased opinion.

He pointed out that the 6 second rule was implemented about 10 years ago and in all of his time watching and writing about the game, he's never once seen it called, let alone in the semi-final of a major tournament.

He also stated that the handball call was a poor decision, as well. FWIW...

Honestly? If Wambach had alerted the ref of the stalling AND the ref warned McLeod and had her warnings acknowledged as is alleged, then I have to wonder if the call wasn't more warranted than the majority of us first thought. The handball call is still a killer though.

I lose no respect whatsoever for Abby Wambach for what she did. To me, not much different than what Herdman did.

Because opposing players claim McLeod was warned multiple timeseading up to te call. I believe McLeod, but I'm jut trying to look at it from another perspective.

I'm not trying to be a villain or a troll.

Archived