The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All provinces now have a lawsuit in the works against Big Tobacco

I quite three years ago. Most people I know have quit.

Smoking just made me feel sick and sore in my stomach and in certain organs. It was pretty grim seeing as the effect wasn't even that great anyway.

I don't think they should ban em tho ...and the second hand smoke comments are kinda funny...No offense. I mean blaming second hand smoke while the world is polluted tenfold by millions of different chemicals etc is a cashgrab.

And what cost are you referring to?

When looking at health care costs that are caused by smokers, it is important to separate regular medical costs and cost of death. The majority of the costs that are included in the figures are cost of death. The portion that covers other costs is actually 100% paid by tobacco taxes, so smokers pay for themselves.

It is very unethical for them to include cost of death, which makes it appear there is a giant extra cost, over and above what is brought in by taxation, that makes smokers a burden on the health care system. They forget to mention that if you weren't a smoker, you are also going to die at some point, incurring the exact same costs. In fact, given that someone who keeps living (versus a smoker who dies this year) will require medical care for years to come, and when they do die, medical care costs will be much higher (as medical costs are increasing faster than inflation) smokers in fact save the system money by dying early (lowering overall cost of death on average for all Canadians). The fact they include cost of death in their calculations is quite backwards, and provides the illusion that additional health costs for smokers isn't completely covered by taxation.

Smoking is bad, no doubt, but poor financial analysis is also bad.

Seems to me like they just want a bigger peice of the tobacco industries pie...if they truly cared about people's health they could 1 make selling of any tobacco product illegal or #2, monitor and control what products are mixed with the tobacco, cuz I really dont think pure tobacco is the cause of cancer...it's a plant that grows in the ground..it's the cyanide, methanol, etc... that they add to it, that does the damage.

I see you aren't big on reading comprehension either, the point that went over your head and BB's head is the smoker is responsible for the health problems caused by smoking not the tobacco company, that is like suing Smith & Wesson or Winchester for all the firearms deaths in the country, or GM and Honda for all the auto related deaths.

If you are going to sue someone, pick the right person, the one responsible for the problem, not the one who has the most money.

Seems to me like they just want a bigger peice of the tobacco industries pie...if they truly cared about people's health they could 1 make selling of any tobacco product illegal or #2, monitor and control what products are mixed with the tobacco, cuz I really dont think pure tobacco is the cause of cancer...it's a plant that grows in the ground..it's the cyanide, methanol, etc... that they add to it, that does the damage.

Oh nothing went over my head, I assure you. I responded to a specific and particular point. However you keep trying to drag what I said into something different. Nowhere have I said that smokers, over-eaters, sport participants etc aren't responsible for their own behavior/related illness or injuries. Perhaps YOU are the one who needs some remedial work in reading comprehension. Jeez..... who's the one 'trying to start a fight'? Time to separate personal bias from the discussion at hand, Persona.

Actually he was right that it went over your head, your post made no sense whatsoever, going on an unrelated tangent regarding fat people or being coerced by a job to do an unsafe act, and not addressing the point which was akin to the later Smith and Wesson analogy. Suing smoking companies for self inflicted injuries would be like suing Smith and Wesson for someone shooting themselves, or suing a city for making a large skyscraper to leap from, or suing rope makers for hanging one's self. Smoking companies are not making people smoke cigarettes, they wilfully smoke them, they are then responsible for personal damage inflicted upon themselves, not cigarette manufacturers. Plus, cigarette manufacturers have already forked over money for damages not caused by them, plus cigarette buyers already pay a significantly higher premium than ten or twenty years ago not only here but in the US as well.

e with the premise though about the stuff put into cigarettes being main sources of carcinogens, certainly not nearly all of them.

Smoking pure tobacco is also carcinogenic, just not as carcinogenic as manufactured cigarettes because of all the other **** they use like nicotine and tar. Smoking anything is carcinogenic, and tobacco also has the benefit of carrying additional natural carcinogens. The notion of "because it grows in the ground" is highly flawed. Try smoking some water hemlock or deadly nightshade and tell me how well that works out for you. ;)

I do agree with the premise though about the stuff put into cigarettes being main sources of carcinogens, certainly not nearly all of them.

Tar isn't added to cigarettes. Its just a byproduct when burning any form of tobacco. Roll your own tobacco produce even higher amounts of tar than prepackaged. Tar in tobacco is a misnomer. Its not like the stuff on the streets.

Nicotine alone has not been proven to be carcinogenic but it is highly addictive which is why smokers keep on smoking.

Archived