Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Mason Raymond

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#31 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

I will only trade raymond + luuu/schneider if we are getting top 6 forward +draft pick

Trade him? HIs contracts up..haha you don't have to worry about anything ...

#32 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

I guess it is a $2.6M gamble.... he could turn out okay on the second line and produce 45~50 points or so... or he could be Ryan Johnson 2.0 on the 4th line...

Yeah, he's such a good shot blocker with an injury problem that can win faceoffs, but not contribute much offensively.

I can see how you'd make that comparison.

/sarcasm

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#33 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Can they put in a contract that he bulks up? Has to put on at least 10 pounds?

He'd be great with some size, he'd lose some speed but he'd gain control.
Posted Image

#34 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Mason will end up in Calgary
GOD BE PRAISED

#35 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

How mad would CDC be if Raymond left the Canucks and puts up 50+ points on another team like the Leafs :lol:

not me , i would love to see him put up points elsewhere but we all know, hes all Razzle no Dazzle.
Like a antique chair with too much Varnish........NO FINISH
We are our own worst enemy!

#36 raymond.of.light

raymond.of.light

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

As one of what seems few Mason Raymond fans out there, I have read every post on CDC about him and about how 'bad' he is. I praise those of you who actually do think he has skill and talent, because he does. He brings more to this team than the masses say he does (or doesn't).

Yeah his numbers this year weren't so good and the year before he wasn't his best. But I thought I'd reiterate what few have in that he does have the capability to put up a 50 point season. I'm not going to make excuses for him but you can't just 'forget' about his injury. Why not sign him on for another year? I watched almost every game this past season and yeah he does sometimes do some stupid things with the puck and occasionally is too fast for his own good, but believe it or not, he tries harder than anyone in the team. Every player has a part of their game that needs working on and Raymond had an unfortunate setback last year.
The reason I want to play the sport and watch it is for players like him. He's exciting, he puts everything into his game and he's constantly trying to make himself better, which is the mark of a great athlete. When AV was juggling lines towards the end of the season, everyone tore their hair out when they saw Raymond with Kesler etc because they thought he wasn't good enough to be on a line with them. But for those of you who describe him as a 'cancer' to the team should maybe not? Because he isn't. You can't expect him to instantly be compatible with players on different lines. He's been in the NHL for what, 5 seasons? Of which he's only played 1 full season, which was his best. I say give him another year at least and he'll silence most of these topics.

Oh and I'm totally jealous of those who have met him.
That's one bad thing about living in Australia!
Believe in blue!

#37 canucks3322

canucks3322

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

he gets traded or signs with another team and scores 20-30 goals everyone here's gonna be like WTF HOW DID MG LET HIM GO.. he hasn't been healthy since he scored 25 goals I would still give him a try after this year if he sucks then let him go...

#38 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Im sure most of you dont care but Eklund just posted a rumor of Boston and Montreal having interest in Raymond

How can that be?...............CDC have already told us he is not playoff size. (can these people get any more stupid?)
Kevin.jpg

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

"Raymond didn't have zero shots in the la series he was one of the guys to have the most"

You're totally right - my bad. He had 16 shots in the series. I was getting my stats from a Gordon McIntyre article in The Province here: http://blogs.theprov...-mason-raymond/

Sorry for the confusion - I've looked over the other stats I mentioned, and they seem to be right. Again, my apologies, but my opinion remains the same.

"Again, my apologies, but my opinion remains the same."

Yes that just about sums up the anti Raymond brigade in a nutshell.............way to look a doofus man!

Edited by Bodee, 11 June 2012 - 02:01 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#40 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Last weekend while My girlfriend and I were flying back to Alberta from BC, we had to change planes in Calgary. When we got off the plane Mason Raymond was sitting in the terminal waiting for a flight. Im pretty sure we were the only ones to notice him since there wasn't a mob around him. Anyway we went up and introduced ourselves. I was surprised how much of a stand up guy he was. He asked us a lot of questions about us and told us all about his back injury, free agency and summer plans. Like him or not the guy is full of class, you wouldn't even know he was a professional athlete.

He wasn't sitting by himself .. there was some business guy beside him wearing a Blackhawks jacket.. who knows maybe just a random.

I think we found Raymonds CDC account ^

Posted Image

#41 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

he's not playoff sized

Mason Raymond 6'00 185
Giroux 5'11" 172
Parise 5'11 190
Richards 6'00 195
Briere 5'10 179

Just off the top of my head - in the top eleven palyoff scorers. What exactly is a playoff size?

#42 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Mason Raymond 6'00 185
Giroux 5'11" 172
Parise 5'11 190
Richards 6'00 195
Briere 5'10 179

Just off the top of my head - in the top eleven palyoff scorers. What exactly is a playoff size?

All those guys play harder and grittier than Mason Raymond.
Posted Image

#43 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, we all know Raymond is probably a great guy. I still think his talent would be worth else where though.

Agreed. I think everyone got a good glimpse of what he's capable of when he scored fifty points, unfortunately he couldn't continue that success in the following seasons. Like Lou, I really feel for the guy. I think he's on a team that doesn't work well with his skill set. I hope that if he's dealt or signs somewhere else, he goes to a team that is groomed more for the fast, run and gun, counter attacking style that I think he can succeed on. Vancouver, being more of a puck possession style with emphasis on set plays and specific cycle plays (which I think are becoming predictable), will never be able to accomidate his style and is almost wasting his talent. I could see teams like Tampa or Pittsburgh being a good fit for him.

#44 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,185 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Two things - Raymond gets his strength back this summer and adds that Burrows deke-backhand-roof to his repertoire - he scores 30 goals this year, and is a plus 25.

P.S. CDC whiners gonna whine. If Gillis were to dump Raymond, and the predictable thing (above) takes place, we'd hear no end to the 'why did that idiot Gillis let Raymond go'? crapola.

Edited by oldnews, 11 June 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#45 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I guess it is a $2.6M gamble.... he could turn out okay on the second line and produce 45~50 points or so... or he could be Ryan Johnson 2.0 on the 4th line...

Ryan Johnson was brought in for a 4th line role, and is better at it than Raymond and for less than half the price. He was great on faceoffs, and a top shot blocker. sooo not really Ryan Johnson 2.0 at all?

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#46 Cup2013?

Cup2013?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Tough call whether or not to bring him back. I'll admit I've been against the idea, but look at the pros and cons:

Pros:

Good cap hit due to a couple average seasons

Capable of putting up 50 points

Great speed that compliments Kesler when he's on

GOOD FORECHECKER, good pker

Likely due for a bounceback season

Cons:

Doesn't use his speed effectively enough

Shy's away from puck battles

Has had limitted success in the playoffs

Not good enough for the second line right now, and not a typical third line player

Since the free agent market may be thin, and our prospects aren't guaranteed to be ready, it may be smart to keep him as a backup plan. He brings more to the table at 2.5 mil than Malhotra does IMO.

I don't know if we watch the same Raymond. But I'm pretty sure the last thing to cross a defenders mind is 'Oh no! Raymond is coming at me'

#47 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm sure he's a great guy (as are most Canucks) and I wish him nothing but the best, but that has nothing to do with his play on the ice. If he's on the team to start the year, I'll cheer for him as hard as I can, but I want him traded - he's not a good fit in the top-9, and he hasn't produced over the last two years, even before the injury. In terms of this team winning, he needs to go...

Some of Raymond's stats for all the people that want to give him another chance:

- 38 goals in his last 209 games (a majority of those were before the injury, and were in the playoffs playing with beast-mode Kesler) - that's a 15-goal pace over 82 games.

- 5 goals in the last 41 playoff games - all healthy. That's a 10-goal pace over 82 games.

- Over the last 6 games of the regular season and the 5 games in round one, Raymond was a -8, with 2 assists over those 11 games. Brutal.

Again, he's probably the nicest guy in the world, but he's got to go...

Agreed. I have always loved Raymond and felt for a long time he was being unfairly judged. That being said, his performance post-trade deadline was absolutely HORRIBLE.

I wish him all the best but it's time for him to go.

#48 CaNuCk_in_NzL

CaNuCk_in_NzL

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm curious about what he said about his back injury?
Posted Image

#49 -canuckslife-

-canuckslife-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Trade him? HIs contracts up..haha you don't have to worry about anything ...

yea, but he is an RFA
Posted Image

#50 carrotshirt

carrotshirt

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Sign him and trade him. That way he gets his 2.55 which is more than he's worth, and can get a fresh start with a team that wants him to be there. I know that's not considered a 'classy' move, but he doesn't fit on this team and we can get something for him if we do this. Maybe to the Islander's for their second rounder? Or part of the goalie package. Don't care, just go. Ballard too. Too many left side D on this team, he'd do well elsewhere. Hell, package him and Raymond to the Isles for Bailey.
You are.

#51 raymond5

raymond5

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

mason raymond: Is bad.

Why does everyone hate raymond? You all give kesler all season to recover but nothing for raymond?! He broke his back! He shouldn't have even been able to be playing within 6 months from his injury! It's a miracle that he can still walk let alone play in the NHL! Give him another year to get back into it!

#52 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm sure he's a great guy (as are most Canucks) and I wish him nothing but the best, but that has nothing to do with his play on the ice. If he's on the team to start the year, I'll cheer for him as hard as I can, but I want him traded - he's not a good fit in the top-9, and he hasn't produced over the last two years, even before the injury. In terms of this team winning, he needs to go...

Some of Raymond's stats for all the people that want to give him another chance:

- 38 goals in his last 209 games (a majority of those were before the injury, and were in the playoffs playing with beast-mode Kesler) - that's a 15-goal pace over 82 games.

- 5 goals in the last 41 playoff games - all healthy. That's a 10-goal pace over 82 games.

- Over the last 6 games of the regular season and the 5 games in round one, Raymond was a -8, with 2 assists over those 11 games. Brutal.

Again, he's probably the nicest guy in the world, but he's got to go...

Here are some counter-stats.

He has more even strength points last year and in 10-11 than his career year of 09-10. Know why? In 09-10 Raymond actually played the PP. Now, he plays 10ish minutes a game and never plays the PP. His shot % is still on par or better than his career year even after breaking his hand and back, which is impressive.

He hasn't had any conditioning for the past year and a half, which means he was always behind the others physically.
He has a higher even strength per 60 minute rating than Kesler.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#53 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

No one said he wasn't a stand up guy, we said he can't score.

#54 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Why does everyone hate raymond? You all give kesler all season to recover but nothing for raymond?! He broke his back! He shouldn't have even been able to be playing within 6 months from his injury! It's a miracle that he can still walk let alone play in the NHL! Give him another year to get back into it!

He really only played up to his potential for one season, other than that, he just takes the puck behind the net, looses it, and falls down. Even before he had his injury last year, he was ineffective. He should play on Columbus, or Florida, or Carolina, some team where theres no pressure.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.