The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond

pidey16

- He registered 0 (ZERO!) shots in the LA series... freakin' 0 shots. Over the last 6 games of the regular season and the 5 games in round one, Raymond was a -8, with 2 assists and 2 shots over those 11 games. Brutal.

Again, he's probably the nicest guy in the world, but he's got to go...

[/quote

Raymond didn't have zero shots in the la series he was one of the guys to have the most

"Raymond didn't have zero shots in the la series he was one of the guys to have the most"

You're totally right - my bad. He had 16 shots in the series. I was getting my stats from a Gordon McIntyre article in The Province here: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/05/15/canucks-mayday-a-look-at-mason-raymond/

Sorry for the confusion - I've looked over the other stats I mentioned, and they seem to be right. Again, my apologies, but my opinion remains the same.

Tough call whether or not to bring him back. I'll admit I've been against the idea, but look at the pros and cons:

Pros:

Good cap hit due to a couple average seasons

Capable of putting up 50 points

Great speed that compliments Kesler when he's on

Good forchecker, good pker

Likely due for a bounceback season

Cons:

Doesn't use his speed effectively enough

Shy's away from puck battles

Has had limitted success in the playoffs

Not good enough for the second line right now, and not a typical third line player

Since the free agent market may be thin, and our prospects aren't guaranteed to be ready, it may be smart to keep him as a backup plan. He brings more to the table at 2.5 mil than Malhotra does IMO.

As one of what seems few Mason Raymond fans out there, I have read every post on CDC about him and about how 'bad' he is. I praise those of you who actually do think he has skill and talent, because he does. He brings more to this team than the masses say he does (or doesn't).

Yeah his numbers this year weren't so good and the year before he wasn't his best. But I thought I'd reiterate what few have in that he does have the capability to put up a 50 point season. I'm not going to make excuses for him but you can't just 'forget' about his injury. Why not sign him on for another year? I watched almost every game this past season and yeah he does sometimes do some stupid things with the puck and occasionally is too fast for his own good, but believe it or not, he tries harder than anyone in the team. Every player has a part of their game that needs working on and Raymond had an unfortunate setback last year.

The reason I want to play the sport and watch it is for players like him. He's exciting, he puts everything into his game and he's constantly trying to make himself better, which is the mark of a great athlete. When AV was juggling lines towards the end of the season, everyone tore their hair out when they saw Raymond with Kesler etc because they thought he wasn't good enough to be on a line with them. But for those of you who describe him as a 'cancer' to the team should maybe not? Because he isn't. You can't expect him to instantly be compatible with players on different lines. He's been in the NHL for what, 5 seasons? Of which he's only played 1 full season, which was his best. I say give him another year at least and he'll silence most of these topics.

Oh and I'm totally jealous of those who have met him.

That's one bad thing about living in Australia!

"Raymond didn't have zero shots in the la series he was one of the guys to have the most"

You're totally right - my bad. He had 16 shots in the series. I was getting my stats from a Gordon McIntyre article in The Province here: http://blogs.theprov...-mason-raymond/

Sorry for the confusion - I've looked over the other stats I mentioned, and they seem to be right. Again, my apologies, but my opinion remains the same.

Last weekend while My girlfriend and I were flying back to Alberta from BC, we had to change planes in Calgary. When we got off the plane Mason Raymond was sitting in the terminal waiting for a flight. Im pretty sure we were the only ones to notice him since there wasn't a mob around him. Anyway we went up and introduced ourselves. I was surprised how much of a stand up guy he was. He asked us a lot of questions about us and told us all about his back injury, free agency and summer plans. Like him or not the guy is full of class, you wouldn't even know he was a professional athlete.

He wasn't sitting by himself .. there was some business guy beside him wearing a Blackhawks jacket.. who knows maybe just a random.

Archived