Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RyanKeslord17

Question about Weber's RFA status

11 posts in this topic

So excuse me if this is kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering, say we offer sheet Weber at say 7.5 mil a year. Nashville matches it. Does Weber have a say in what is decided? Can he sign with the Canucks and decline the Preds' match? Or if Nashville matches the offer is he forced to re-sign there as they have his rights?

Also, what would be the compensation? I heard on HF boards it's 2 1st's a second and a third.

He can accept the Canucks' offer sheet but then can't decline the preds match

Here is the compensation chart.

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:

• $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

• $1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

• $1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

• $3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

• $4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

• $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

• $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

He can't decline the match and 7.5M would easily get matched. I think if he was willing to go 7.5 his deal would have been done long ago. It would have to be above 8 to not get matched and I think the compensation at that point is 4 firsts. The cutoff this year was 7.8M. The package to get Weber will have to be extremely good and it will hurt the team that gets him in a lot of ways. That is if he is moved. Likely he just gets another one year deal for big money in Nashville.

Doughty got 7 over 8 years. Weber is better and will get more.

My thinking is that no team will trade for him because the asking price from NSH will be ridiculous. So instead of signing him to a one year deal, and letting him walk the next year for nothing, why not accept a compensation of two firsts, a second and a third? Nobody is going to give him above 7.8 mil and give away 4 firsts.

Wouldn't Nashville want to get at least something instead of having hin one more year knowing he doesn't really want to be a part of Nashville?

If a team offers him a contract and he accepts (say $7.5 over 7 years), the ball is then in Nashvilles court, where they would have 7 days to make a decision.

They can either:

- Match the offer he accepted, meaning he would remain a Predator, and would be ineligible to be traded for 1 season.

or

-Take the compensation, which in this case would be: 2 1st round picks, 1 second round pick, and 1 3rd round pick. If the offer was greater than $7.8, the compensation would be 4 1st round picks.

In my opinion any offer over $7.8 would not be worth it, 4 1st round picks is too much to give up, and any offer below that would probably be matched by the Predators.

If a team offers him a contract and he accepts (say $7.5 over 7 years), the ball is then in Nashvilles court, where they would have 7 days to make a decision.

They can either:

- Match the offer he accepted, meaning he would remain a Predator, and would be ineligible to be traded for 1 season.

or

-Take the compensation, which in this case would be: 2 1st round picks, 1 second round pick, and 1 3rd round pick. If the offer was greater than $7.8, the compensation would be 4 1st round picks.

In my opinion any offer over $7.8 would not be worth it, 4 1st round picks is too much to give up, and any offer below that would probably be matched by the Predators.

Weber coming to Vancouver would be a hefty price. As you can see the compensation alone is killer, to sign him it is going to be 6+ again.

Weber coming to Vancouver would be a hefty price. As you can see the compensation alone is killer, to sign him it is going to be 6+ again.

Better to wait one more year and sign him as UFA.