The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Controversial Muslim preacher to speak in Calgary

What do you expect the Alberta government to do here exactly? Hate crime laws are federal not provincial. There's also no way to stop someone from speaking. If he advocates violence and actual attacks in his speech, the police can step in and enforce a federal crime. If not, there's not much they can do.

Just because someone has awful views doesn't mean you are allowed to simply stop them from speaking. Personally, I'm much more worried about the people organizing this event than the Alberta government.

I also love how posters are accusing Alberta of being right wing for not locking up people with "link to terrorism". I'm pretty sure there's nothing "Texas" about allowing somoene with "links to terrorism" to speak freely.

If you find I misinterpret what people say, feel free to question me. You don't have to state outright what you think when it's evident by your post. At least when I say "I hate so and so for so and so" I mean that I'm better than them. For example, I can't stand religious bigots like you and the Muslim dude in question. Do I really have to tell you that I think I'm better than you, because I'm not a bigot? That should be obvious. And if I am twisting anything, that has nothing to do with ignorance. You use that word, but you're ignorant to its meaning, it seems.

Hold on.

Aside from his stance on homosexuals, the guy has links to terrorist groups?

I wouldn't want this guy in my country let alone speaking at a public event. The fact they are allowing this to happen is just ridiculous.

I also find it dreadfully ironic that he is speaking at a conference to promote multiculturalism.

Overall he's a well-renowned scholar of Islam, I wouldn't call him a crazy. I haven't heard him saying "gays are evil and should be dead", but if he had then he just missed the boat on that one and I'd hope he sees better. But again, I've never heard him say that. Even if he had he'd need a piece of evidence supporting his opinion, and nowhere in Islam does it say kill the gays (killing of one innocent is akin to killing all of mankind so it'd be a sin if you do).

Okay, so you people are calling for the government of Alberta or of Calgary or of Canada to shut this down?

Freedom of speech is not only about individual liberties, it is also our best defense against bad ideas. The best way to fight bad ideas is to air them out in the open and let them be debated.

Overall he's a well-renowned scholar of Islam, I wouldn't call him a crazy. I haven't heard him saying "gays are evil and should be dead", but if he had then he just missed the boat on that one and I'd hope he sees better. But again, I've never heard him say that. Even if he had he'd need a piece of evidence supporting his opinion, and nowhere in Islam does it say kill the gays (killing of one innocent is akin to killing all of mankind so it'd be a sin if you do).

Watch the first video in my post. He states around the 12 minute mark that homosexuality is a choice, and that is why it is punishable. Just as adultery is punishable by death, so is homosexuality. And he says is nonchalantly, too nonchalantly for someone who believes "killing of one innocent is akin to killing all of mankind so it'd be a sin if you do"

Interesting. I've also never heard any Muslim preachers or Christian here in Canada say 'gays are evil and should die'. They do however mention the punishment part, but again, I have never heard a preacher say "you're gay - you should die/be murdered/kill yourself" ...

This is just fine in Alberta. They believe the homosexual chooses it or has a mental disorder. How outrageous and insensitive. People like this who spread hate are what is making this earth so bad to live in. Imagine being a poor gay teen in Alberta having to listen to people say you have a disorder.

We don't need this in Canada and shouldn't allow it. Freedom of speech has limits.

There are some well-respected hadith (Abu Dawud, Al Tirmidhi, and Al Muwatta, for example) that say Muhammad said to kill anyone caught committing a homosexual act. That's where the death penalty for homosexuality comes from in Islam. I'm not sure how sahih you personally consider those collections to be, but unfortunately, plenty of Islamic countries are of the opinion that the death penalty is appropriate.

Archived