Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

MacTavish Fired/steps down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that Craig MacTavish will leave his role as Head Coach of the Canucks American Hockey League affiliate, the Chicago Wolves to pursue other opportunities.
“Craig brought a tremendous amount of experience and expertise as Head Coach of the Wolves this past season,” said Mike Gillis. “We were pleased to have him as a member of our organization and wish him continued success in the future.”
MacTavish, 53, was the eighth Head Coach in Wolves franchise history and helped lead the club to a 42-27-4 record and a fourth Midwest Division Championship since joining the AHL.

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
Good for Craig MacTavish. He's back with the Oilers as Sr VP of Hockey Ops.

MacTavish will be involved in all aspects of the team...coaching, management, Draft prep, etc.

Edited by wtpasc, 11 June 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Craig MacTavish departs Chicago Wolves organization

Monday, 11.06.2012 / 12:01 PM / News
Vancouver Canucks
Posted Image
Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that Craig MacTavish will leave his role as Head Coach of the Canucks American Hockey League affiliate, the Chicago Wolves to pursue other opportunities.

“Craig brought a tremendous amount of experience and expertise as Head Coach of the Wolves this past season,” said Mike Gillis. “We were pleased to have him as a member of our organization and wish him continued success in the future.”

MacTavish, 53, was the eighth Head Coach in Wolves franchise history and helped lead the club to a 42-27-4 record and a fourth Midwest Division Championship since joining the AHL.

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing.

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

despite what gillis is saying, i have a feeling it's more of a "step down or be fired" type of thing. if mactavish steps down then he still looks good (his decision) and gillis looks good still (he didn't fire someone he just hired, so it wasn't admitting a mistake on his part).

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

New coach of the Washington Capitals? Good opportunity for MacT. And OV should be alright with that. We'll see.

TOML
Posted Image

#5 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

despite what gillis is saying, i have a feeling it's more of a "step down or be fired" type of thing. if mactavish steps down then he still looks good (his decision) and gillis looks good still (he didn't fire someone he just hired, so it wasn't admitting a mistake on his part).

A mutual parting of ways seems like a distinct possibility. Anyone think there is a chance he has an NHL job?

#6 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

I guess MacT was hoping he'd get a chance at the big team if AV wasn't re-signed.

#7 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

As for the Wolves, perhaps Arniel is coming back?
Posted Image

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Good

Now maybe the little boys will stop thinking he can replace AV
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

As for the Wolves, perhaps Arniel is coming back?

well he is already on staff... I'd love to see him back in a coaching role, waiting to take over from AV down the line.

#10 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

I guess MacT was hoping he'd get a chance at the big team if AV wasn't re-signed.

Yep... clearly a back-up plan to AV and when that didn't pan out, both sides were probably happy to go their own ways.

Mac will get an opportunity somewhere, I think he is over-rated as a coach because people still remember him as a player.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#11 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

There's rumblings in Edmonton that MacT could be heading back there.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

But imo he got a raw deal there in the first place. Never should've been fired, but the paperbag public was demanding it. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#12 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

well he is already on staff... I'd love to see him back in a coaching role, waiting to take over from AV down the line.At least the transition would be seamless.
Posted Image

#13 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

A mutual parting of ways seems like a distinct possibility. Anyone think there is a chance he has an NHL job?

I've seen crazier things before. rumour is that there are rumblings in edmonton that they want him back, and there are a couple open spots accross the nhl for a coach. i thought he didn't do the wolves justice, and there were a mass of issues on the coaching side of things that just raw talent on the player's side of things was able to hide.

Edited by avelanch, 11 June 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#14 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

I've seen crazier things before. rumour is that there are rumblings in edmonton that they want him back, and there are a couple open spots accross the nhl for a coach. i thought he didn't do the wolves justice, and there were a mass of issues on the coaching side of things that just raw talent on the player's side of things was able to hide.

Just heard on the radio that he is headed back to Edmonton as Senior VP of Hockey Operations.

#15 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Edited by wtpasc, 11 June 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#16 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

That's too bad. He did a pretty good job with our prospects.

#17 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Just heard on the radio that he is headed back to Edmonton as Senior VP of Hockey Operations.

Good for Craig MacTavish. He's back with the Oilers as Sr VP of Hockey Ops.

MacTavish will be involved in all aspects of the team...coaching, management, Draft prep, etc.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

And so ends the MacT experiment, lets move on folks. It didn't seem like the Chicago group ever got going under him. Arniel anyone?

#19 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I hope that the next Wolves coach is SA, the last thing that these baby Nucks need is another new coach for the 3rd straight year. It would be nice for the developing players to have a consistent leader behind the bench.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#20 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

And so ends the MacT experiment, lets move on folks. It didn't seem like the Chicago group ever got going under him. Arniel anyone?

42-27-4 record and a fourth Midwest Division Championship

I don't think the Canucks organization were particularly unhappy with what he brought to the Wolves.

#21 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

He's been named Senior VP of the Oilers

Source: TSN
Posted Image

#22 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Looks like he didn't want a coaching gig all too badly afterall. The Oilers' homeboy stays an Oiler homeboy.

Katz sure likes his old Oilers boys club.

TOML
Posted Image

#23 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Gillis had him coaching the Wolves so he had an experienced NHL coach in waiting to replace AV if that was the way things went. Once it was decided that AV was staying, the opportunity MacT saw was gone, so no reason to stay.

He's becoming a Senior VP, it's not like he just took a job as a stick boy...

#24 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Looks like he wasn't fired, just named senior VP of hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers.

Congrats MacT!

Posted Image

#25 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Certainly he'll be coaching the Oilers again soon if they struggle early. I predict they will, then he'll step in and that will begin a big turnaround that will lead to decent season/playoff run. Seems to happen every year now.

You have to wonder if the perception around the league now is that the Canucks' current window has indeed closed. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#26 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

well%20he%20is%20already%20on%20staff...%20IAt least the transition would be seamless.

You forgot to sign off.

WiDeN

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#27 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Certainly he'll be coaching the Oilers again soon if they struggle early. I predict they will, then he'll step in and that will begin a big turnaround that will lead to decent season/playoff run. Seems to happen every year now.

You have to wonder if the perception around the league now is that the Canucks' current window has indeed closed. Cheers.

TOML

Why?

#28 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I don't think the Canucks organization were particularly unhappy with what he brought to the Wolves.

i don't think they were particularly pleased with how he handled the team, to be honest. they should have done much better (espescially on special teams) than they did. the Midwest division championship this season was more like capturing the SW division in the NHL a couple years ago that it was a particular accomplishment. with the team they had, it should have been a western conference championship.

#29 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

You forgot to sign off.

WiDeN

Forgot to add quote tags, actually. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#30 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

i don't think they were particularly pleased with how he handled the team, to be honest. they should have done much better (espescially on special teams) than they did. the Midwest division championship this season was more like capturing the SW division in the NHL a couple years ago that it was a particular accomplishment. with the team they had, it should have been a western conference championship.

The Canucks should have done much better on special teams than they did too... :(

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.