The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacTavish Fired/steps down

wtpasc

We'll never know the circumstances of his leaving, but it doesn't matter. Obvious speculation will lead us to believe that AV's extension left MacT with no choice but to move on.

But then he didn't move on to another coaching gig. A senior VP of hockey operations? That is a filler job in Edmonton that didn't even exist there until now. Perhaps it's to keep him on as a future coach. Perhaps it's merely to fill up the old Oiler boys clubhouse. But who cares about their plans, it's ours that are more important.

Wondering if Arniel is taking his old job back or if the Wolves will sign someone else. Cheers.

TOML

"Bring back Crow!" lol

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing.

Cannot see how fans could expect more out of the Wolves than what they got. A pretty young d-core and so/so forwards. When you look at some of the other AHL rosters there was way more talent. T-Bay and TO's Calder final rosters were loaded. Stevie Y is loading up with young talent. He will be as good a GM as he was a player.

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing.

special teams for one. I know he didn't head up the special teams (that's the assistant coach's job), but i would have thought he would have stepped in or tried to focus on it more after their abysmal PP and PK stats (numerous games were lost because of the horrible special teams). he also failed to get the most out of the players and they were horribly inconsistent. now i know there's only so much he can do, but at times it seemed like he didn't really care and he was just buying time until he got an NHL job.

Also, I didn't think the systems he used particularly fit the team, but that could have been because they were forced to use the same systems as the canucks to make the transition easier. the problem is they are 2 different teams and he should have at least tweaked it a bit to make suit his team better. Now the raw talent of the team was able to overcome a lot of his coaching problems, but they should have done much better than they did with the talent level on that team.

Hmmm... Remembering vaguely now that MacT and Pronger had problems during the Oilers' season run to the finals and it was indeed Pronger who was coaching the team towards the end. Apart from that run, MacT has had little coaching success. Perhaps he's not that great a coach afterall.

special teams for one. I know he didn't head up the special teams (that's the assistant coach's job), but i would have thought he would have stepped in or tried to focus on it more after their abysmal PP and PK stats (numerous games were lost because of the horrible special teams). he also failed to get the most out of the players and they were horribly inconsistent. now i know there's only so much he can do, but at times it seemed like he didn't really care and he was just buying time until he got an NHL job, and that lack of motivation rubbed off on the team at times.

Also, I didn't think the systems he used particularly fit the team, but that could have been because they were forced to use the same systems as the canucks to make the transition easier. the problem is they are 2 different teams and he should have at least tweaked it a bit to make suit his team better. Now the raw talent of the team was able to overcome a lot of his coaching problems, but they should have done much better than they did with the talent level on that team. (Lack and Climie were hung out to dry WAY too often, and for way too many reasons)

Seems like he was meant to go to the Oil anyway. He was respectible as the Wolves coach but I think those of you that posted the "waiting in the wings" comments should rethink them. I don't think AV was ever going anywhere. MacT was biding time for an offer from the Oil thats all. He all be good in blue and orange. The real question should be who will hone our rooks now?

NUFF SAID

If the AHL is suppose to be a developmental league to prepare prospects, it seemed that MacT turned more and more to vets when chosing his lineup. Lots of stretches, it seemed the kids were sitting in the stands. Just an outsiders observation, but its better to learn by your mistakes on the farm, than at the NHL level.

Do farm teams need to dress the team owners players, over the shared working agreement players? Those players on the Wolves always seemed to have a spot on the game day roster.

I don't see much difference between the Wolves and how Manitoba was, when it came to 'winning first.' The Moose brought in guys like Krog etc. but still had slots for Grabner and Shiro.

Tanev and Connauton were used quite a bit by the Wolves this past season. Schroeder seems to have progressed into a more complete player. And Jensen was on fire before going down to a concussion. If the Wolves will to win trumped the Canucks' plans for a player, then they would've kept Tanev for themselves. Their defense appeared to have taken a bit hit when they lost Tanev to us.

TOML

Archived