Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

MacTavish Fired/steps down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Why?

Because it may well have?
Posted Image

#32 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good

Now maybe the little boys will stop thinking he can replace AV

Well isn't that a mature way to put it, I think extending AV's contract indicates thatMy guess would be the Oilers offered him a better opportunity, with the Canucks management re-signing AV, MacTavish probably didn't want to hang around in the minors. According to the Sun he is now Senior VP of Hockey Oporations for the Oilers, that trumps coaching the minors I would guess.

#33 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

He's been named Senior VP of the Oilers

Source: TSN

Posted Image

#34 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Sucks we lost him, I wouldnt have minded him replacing AV this year.

I hope he does well with his VP postion, congrats MacT.

zackass.png

#35 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

i don't think they were particularly pleased with how he handled the team, to be honest. they should have done much better (espescially on special teams) than they did. the Midwest division championship this season was more like capturing the SW division in the NHL a couple years ago that it was a particular accomplishment. with the team they had, it should have been a western conference championship.

I'm just saying I don't think the Canucks organization are just going to drop a coach with the kind of experience MacT has just because his team won the division championship too easily. Turns out they did not, MacT resigned so that he could come back to the big leagues.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think he was merely a backup plan if AV doesnt re-sign or gets fired, but now that he's signed a long term contract, theres no reason to keep an NHL calibre coach in the minors.

I would send Arniel back there, and get Hanlon from the VG as his assistant.

#37 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

Because it may well have?

I think after this year it will be near closed. Elder, Higgins and Burrows are all UFA's after this season and the Sedin's might have 2 more good seasons in them before we need 1st line replacements.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#38 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Like I say all the chicks, goodbye and goodluck

#39 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing. [/size][/font][/color]

guess you "saw" it incorrectly :rolleyes:

Congrats to MacT

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#40 RKESLER17

RKESLER17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Fired? It says other opportunies dumb dumb. Before I saw the posts about joinining the Oilers I guessed right away it was about an NHL job somewhere.

#41 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I guess MacT was hoping he'd get a chance at the big team if AV wasn't re-signed.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#42 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

We'll never know the circumstances of his leaving, but it doesn't matter. Obvious speculation will lead us to believe that AV's extension left MacT with no choice but to move on.

But then he didn't move on to another coaching gig. A senior VP of hockey operations? That is a filler job in Edmonton that didn't even exist there until now. Perhaps it's to keep him on as a future coach. Perhaps it's merely to fill up the old Oiler boys clubhouse. But who cares about their plans, it's ours that are more important.

Wondering if Arniel is taking his old job back or if the Wolves will sign someone else. Cheers.

TOML

"Bring back Crow!" lol
Posted Image

#43 RKESLER17

RKESLER17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Haha I would love to see the Crow!

#44 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing.

You follow the Wolves much more than I. Anything in particular that bothered you about MacT during his time down there?

TOML
Posted Image

#45 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

No surprise. Everyone knew he wasn't there long term. Just a filler until he got another NHL assignment.

#46 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

You follow the Wolves much more than I. Anything in particular that bothered you about MacT during his time down there?

TOML

I had the same question. The team had a 42-27-7, so it would seem on the face of it that MacTavish did a good job. However, I didn't watch a single game so I can't really comment myself.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#47 CANUCKLELION

CANUCKLELION

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

As for the Wolves, perhaps Arniel is coming back?

I too think Arniel may be back, as far as McTavish goes, the writing was on the wall that he would be leaving when AV got renewed.

McT did a good job in Chicago last year + it was obvious that with his hockey knowledge, he needed to be back in the NHL.

Edited by CANUCKLELION, 11 June 2012 - 12:18 PM.

R.I.P, Rick Rypien Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,191 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

TOML

special teams for one. I know he didn't head up the special teams (that's the assistant coach's job), but i would have thought he would have stepped in or tried to focus on it more after their abysmal PP and PK stats (numerous games were lost because of the horrible special teams). he also failed to get the most out of the players and they were horribly inconsistent. now i know there's only so much he can do, but at times it seemed like he didn't really care and he was just buying time until he got an NHL job, and that lack of motivation rubbed off on the team at times.

Also, I didn't think the systems he used particularly fit the team, but that could have been because they were forced to use the same systems as the canucks to make the transition easier. the problem is they are 2 different teams and he should have at least tweaked it a bit to make suit his team better. Now the raw talent of the team was able to overcome a lot of his coaching problems, but they should have done much better than they did with the talent level on that team. (Lack and Climie were hung out to dry WAY too often, and for way too many reasons)

Edited by avelanch, 11 June 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#49 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Cannot see how fans could expect more out of the Wolves than what they got. A pretty young d-core and so/so forwards. When you look at some of the other AHL rosters there was way more talent. T-Bay and TO's Calder final rosters were loaded. Stevie Y is loading up with young talent. He will be as good a GM as he was a player.

#50 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing. [/size][/font][/color]

Having watched most of the Wolves games, I have to agree. That's why I never went along with the idiots who wanted to see him coach here.
Kevin.jpg

#51 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

special teams for one. I know he didn't head up the special teams (that's the assistant coach's job), but i would have thought he would have stepped in or tried to focus on it more after their abysmal PP and PK stats (numerous games were lost because of the horrible special teams). he also failed to get the most out of the players and they were horribly inconsistent. now i know there's only so much he can do, but at times it seemed like he didn't really care and he was just buying time until he got an NHL job.

Also, I didn't think the systems he used particularly fit the team, but that could have been because they were forced to use the same systems as the canucks to make the transition easier. the problem is they are 2 different teams and he should have at least tweaked it a bit to make suit his team better. Now the raw talent of the team was able to overcome a lot of his coaching problems, but they should have done much better than they did with the talent level on that team.

Totally agree.
Kevin.jpg

#52 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hmmm... Remembering vaguely now that MacT and Pronger had problems during the Oilers' season run to the finals and it was indeed Pronger who was coaching the team towards the end. Apart from that run, MacT has had little coaching success. Perhaps he's not that great a coach afterall.
Posted Image

#53 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Lack and Climie were hung out to dry WAY too often, and for way too many reasons)

Sounds familiar. Perhaps the Canucks' system is a bit flawed in that it relies on ultra-talented players for it to work effectively. The problem with that is not all players are ultra-talented.

On that note, it should be interesting to see how Detroit's puck-controlling ways are effected by the departure of the 2nd-best defenseman of all time.

TOML
Posted Image

#54 thundernuts

thundernuts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hired by the Oilers. He resigned from the Wolves, he was not fired.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398151
Posted Image

#55 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Jesus Christ, read.
Posted Image

#56 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

special teams for one. I know he didn't head up the special teams (that's the assistant coach's job), but i would have thought he would have stepped in or tried to focus on it more after their abysmal PP and PK stats (numerous games were lost because of the horrible special teams). he also failed to get the most out of the players and they were horribly inconsistent. now i know there's only so much he can do, but at times it seemed like he didn't really care and he was just buying time until he got an NHL job, and that lack of motivation rubbed off on the team at times.

Also, I didn't think the systems he used particularly fit the team, but that could have been because they were forced to use the same systems as the canucks to make the transition easier. the problem is they are 2 different teams and he should have at least tweaked it a bit to make suit his team better. Now the raw talent of the team was able to overcome a lot of his coaching problems, but they should have done much better than they did with the talent level on that team. (Lack and Climie were hung out to dry WAY too often, and for way too many reasons)

If the AHL is suppose to be a developmental league to prepare prospects, it seemed that MacT turned more and more to vets when chosing his lineup. Lots of stretches, it seemed the kids were sitting in the stands. Just an outsiders observation, but its better to learn by your mistakes on the farm, than at the NHL level.
Do farm teams need to dress the team owners players, over the shared working agreement players? Those players on the Wolves always seemed to have a spot on the game day roster.

#57 Wonderine

Wonderine

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Seems like he was meant to go to the Oil anyway. He was respectible as the Wolves coach but I think those of you that posted the "waiting in the wings" comments should rethink them. I don't think AV was ever going anywhere. MacT was biding time for an offer from the Oil thats all. He all be good in blue and orange. The real question should be who will hone our rooks now?

NUFF SAID

#58 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,191 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

If the AHL is suppose to be a developmental league to prepare prospects, it seemed that MacT turned more and more to vets when chosing his lineup. Lots of stretches, it seemed the kids were sitting in the stands. Just an outsiders observation, but its better to learn by your mistakes on the farm, than at the NHL level.
Do farm teams need to dress the team owners players, over the shared working agreement players? Those players on the Wolves always seemed to have a spot on the game day roster.

it depends on the org, but the wolves in general tend to try to just win, even if it means a sacrifice of developing players when push comes to shove. It's one reason why I was hesitant when they became our affiliate.

#59 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I don't see much difference between the Wolves and how Manitoba was, when it came to 'winning first.' The Moose brought in guys like Krog etc. but still had slots for Grabner and Shiro.

Tanev and Connauton were used quite a bit by the Wolves this past season. Schroeder seems to have progressed into a more complete player. And Jensen was on fire before going down to a concussion. If the Wolves will to win trumped the Canucks' plans for a player, then they would've kept Tanev for themselves. Their defense appeared to have taken a bit hit when they lost Tanev to us.

TOML
Posted Image

#60 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=634332

Article on nhl.com about him joining the oilers front office

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.