Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

MacTavish Fired/steps down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#61 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

I don't see much difference between the Wolves and how Manitoba was, when it came to 'winning first.' The Moose brought in guys like Krog etc. but still had slots for Grabner and Shiro.

Tanev and Connauton were used quite a bit by the Wolves this past season. Schroeder seems to have progressed into a more complete player. And Jensen was on fire before going down to a concussion. If the Wolves will to win trumped the Canucks' plans for a player, then they would've kept Tanev for themselves. Their defense appeared to have taken a bit hit when they lost Tanev to us.

TOML

that really isn't their call. they can't veto the canucks calling up a player. It's not how the farm team system works.

#62 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

I guess MacT was hoping he'd get a chance at the big team if AV wasn't re-signed.

That is it exactly!

#63 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

MacTavish: "The organization is in so much better shape now than it was when I left 3 years ago."

307mg00.jpg

#64 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Good for MacT. Glad to see him move on to a good position where he can use his hockey knowledge in a non coaching way.

#65 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

MacT says he enjoyed his time coaching in the American Hockey League but "always missed the drama" that comes in the NHL

"I expect Craig to be involved in all decisions regarding the hockey club ... His opinion is incredibly valuable." - Tambellini on MacT

307mg00.jpg

#66 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,530 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

MacTavish: "The organization is in so much better shape now than it was when I left 3 years ago."

He's right, but what the hell else would he say?

"I'm taking this fake-as-hell 'VP' job because these homers like giving ex-Oilers free handouts."

TOML
Posted Image

#67 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Someone will have to eat Crow, and settle the Bertuzzi /Moore lawsuit first.

Give your head a shake. You will NEVER see Crow working for the Canucks again, just like you wont see Bertuzzi back. If you think arbitration ruins relationships, try $20 mill lawsuits?

:picard:

Or maybe Aquilini will have Crow to thank for the demise of the WCE and Canucks of that vintage, so he could pick up the team cheaper???

:bigblush:

We'll never know the circumstances of his leaving, but it doesn't matter. Obvious speculation will lead us to believe that AV's extension left MacT with no choice but to move on.

But then he didn't move on to another coaching gig. A senior VP of hockey operations? That is a filler job in Edmonton that didn't even exist there until now. Perhaps it's to keep him on as a future coach. Perhaps it's merely to fill up the old Oiler boys clubhouse. But who cares about their plans, it's ours that are more important.

Wondering if Arniel is taking his old job back or if the Wolves will sign someone else. Cheers.

TOML

"Bring back Crow!" lol

Haha I would love to see the Crow!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 11 June 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#68 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Gillis had him coaching the Wolves so he had an experienced NHL coach in waiting to replace AV if that was the way things went. Once it was decided that AV was staying, the opportunity MacT saw was gone, so no reason to stay.

He's becoming a Senior VP, it's not like he just took a job as a stick boy...

OMG, I wouldve stopped being a Canucks fan if Mac T coached the Canucks. They minus well wouldve gone backwards if they hired him!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#69 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I lived (endured as a Canucks fan) in Edmonton during that run, knew several of the players.

Indeed Pronger controlled the room. But it was much like AV hands the room to Kesler, KB3, the Twins... MacTavish was known to be an old boys network (Pronger, Ryan Smith, Khabi...) coach and communicate little with guys he is sitting.

And yes that also became part of his demise. Pronger is a character hockey player on ice, but not exactly the "stand up" guy everybody should look up to. Pronger asked for a trade so his wife would not divorce him over the intensity of one of his affairs with an Oilers beat reporter who got pregnant. Guys like Upshaw hated that they had to kiss his arse while he paraded around like an idiot. So he lets the team down. Now your left with guys the coach does not communicate with. It destroyed the loyalty to the team and guys wanted out!

Fact was before then, MacT did a credible job of icing young players with speed and size into a high speed pressing and attacking team. But it was not particularly talented, it ruled on physical match ups starting and finishing with his behemoth defenceman Pronger, guys like Torres etc. Pronger was a calculated gamble which had had both pay off and pain for the Oil. Fact was the room was lost, are you going to regain the room with the same coach? So MacTavish got fired.

Not a players coach, you could worry that would repeat itself on any team?

But particularly strategically, he is good and a very smart hockey man!

Hmmm... Remembering vaguely now that MacT and Pronger had problems during the Oilers' season run to the finals and it was indeed Pronger who was coaching the team towards the end. Apart from that run, MacT has had little coaching success. Perhaps he's not that great a coach afterall.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 11 June 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#70 -canuckslife-

-canuckslife-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

He's just stating a fact...
Posted Image

#71 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Gillis had him coaching the Wolves so he had an experienced NHL coach in waiting to replace AV if that was the way things went. Once it was decided that AV was staying, the opportunity MacT saw was gone, so no reason to stay.

He's becoming a Senior VP, it's not like he just took a job as a stick boy...

Funny thing is that IS the way things went, and Gillis still kept him.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#72 BrownSuperman

BrownSuperman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Wonder if Mac t had any inside info regarding the Canucks draft plans? Maybe throw a wrench into our teams plan?? Jus curious ?

#73 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Wonder if Mac t had any inside info regarding the Canucks draft plans? Maybe throw a wrench into our teams plan?? Jus curious ?

lol, very unlikely that an ahl coach would bet any strategy info from the parent org's gm.

#74 BrownSuperman

BrownSuperman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

lol, very unlikely that an ahl coach would bet any strategy info from the parent org's gm.

Well the Canucks did invite the gm of the wolves to trade deadline day, they like having everyones input into team decisions. Why wouldnt the coach of the wolves not be asked for his input? Esp since he has plenty of NHL experience about players and such?

#75 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#76 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

guess he wasn't really fired.. too bad, i think he is a good hockey mind, and was great for our developing prospects... guess tamby thought that too

TOML
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#77 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,901 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Well the Canucks did invite the gm of the wolves to trade deadline day, they like having everyones input into team decisions. Why wouldnt the coach of the wolves not be asked for his input? Esp since he has plenty of NHL experience about players and such?

lol, no. gm is one thing, as he needs to know what wil be coming/going out of his team. i highly doubt anything was shared/asked of him beyond "are there any ahl players would you want us to try to trade for if we were to move player x to team y." the coach would not be privvy to anything, especially drafting strategies.

Edited by avelanch, 11 June 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#78 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hey, no doubt Gillis was accorded a debriefing on his prospects and the state of the Wolves before MacT left. Guys are certainly professionals, and such courtesy's go unsaid.

Perhaps and highly likely more was discussed in year end interviews. Not just our prospects, other AHL talent which could be targetted. But MacT was not a junior scout, draft picks would unlikely to have been a major discussion.

#79 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Well, it is unlikely that any information MacTavish has (assuming he knows anything of substance) can have an effect on the Canucks drafting this year. Even if he snuck into Gillis' house and stole his secret diary the information would be mostly useless to the Oilers.

The Oilers are drafting first while the Canucks are drafting 26th. The only advantage they could put to that is if they passed along some "information from a reliable source" through a third party (eg. reporter) that the Canucks wanted to draft a specific player at their current position (26th), which might convince another team (say St. Louis at 25th) to take that guy or threaten to take that guy unless the Canucks coughed up an asset.

And what if the Canucks manage to pull off a trade on the day of the draft? Say Gillis does trade Luongo, Ballard, Vancouver's 1st, Schroeder and the rights to Raymond for the Blue Jackets' 1st (2nd over-all) and Rick Nash, then how useful would any information be in that case? Once again, not that useful.

Edmonton could say that they know Gillis wants Yakupov, so they would offer a deal to move down one spot in exchange for the 2nd over-all pick and an additional asset. Gillis would likely tell them to stick it and go with the best player available at the second pick, who could still be the guy who is number one on his list. However, since teams tend not to announce trades until just before the higher pick is to be made, Edmonton would likely not even get the chance to screw with the Canucks.

The most useful information Mactavish has about the Canucks is what their talent pool is like down on the farm. If the Oilers and the Canucks do a trade, Mactavish's insights would be very important with regard to any prospects who are being discussed.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#80 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,530 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Tanev for Magnus.

TOML
Posted Image

#81 CANUCKLELION

CANUCKLELION

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Based on the Nuck's draft record, any inside info would just keep the Oil in the basement. lol
R.I.P, Rick Rypien Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.