The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL and officiating

The carter thing is 10 minutes, fine, but where was that call last year on the bruins. Also if clarkson got 10 for trying to instigate Greene, maybe Kesler should get a couple 10s for his charades. I know you don't like to hear it but I just want some honour brought back to this game as long as all 30 teams have calls made against them consistently.

I realized I'm an angry Canucks fan.

I'm not mad at the Bruins. I hate them, but they did everything they were allowed to do to win the cup. Forget about the lambasting the Canadian media did on us, and the hockey gods f*cking us over,

I'm not mad at the Kings for beating us this year.

I'm mad at the NHL for being a manipulated product. The reffing was the absolute worst in professional sports this year beginning last year's biased playoffs. I remind those of you of game 6 against Chicago who say I'm spitting sour grapes.

I am starting to hate the NHL, and for the first time I am thinking of finding something else to do with my time than support that bullsh*t.

The media doesn't help at all. They are just as hypocritical as the officials. How is Brown any different fro, Torres for running around trying to hurt people? One player is crucified and one is heralded. I just want the winner's to deserve it, not have it given to them,.

Bah, I'm glad summer is on.

P.S. Good for LA, I wanted them to win, but I didn't want the officials to win it for them.

That was disgusting. The final scoreline reads LA with 9 powerplays, NJD with 2.

The refs single-handedly gave L.A the Cup after that 5 minute powerplay - that hit wasn't being called all playoffs long and suddenly its reason to throw a player out of a game and cause his team to lose the Cup? To do that in a Cup-clinching game is just a disgrace.

I'll admit the Boston-Vancouver series was relatively well-reffed. Sure, things weren't getting called, but they were going both ways (Higgins blindsided Chara but no one called foul there). This on the other hand is rediculous, and the Kings have been getting all the calls going there way all playoffs long - especially against St. Louis and Phoenix but to cap it off they get a Cup-winning-5 minute major.

It definitely was worth the 5 minute major/game misconduct.

However if the refs were competent enough to call the boarding hit on Gionta like literally 10 seconds before the hit, it would have never taken place. You can pull the conspiracy card or sheer utter incompetence referees card.

The sad thing is that almost EXACTLY the same hit was done via Dwight King on Petriangelo in that series, 2 minutes for boarding. Utter retardation.

That was definitely worth 5 and a game, Bernier did not let up and drove Scudari from behind into the boards, initially the refs were going to call a minor, but after seeing his face they had to call 5.

As for the Gionta hit just prior, the reason I believe there was no call is because he looked right at the refs immediately, to me it looked like he was trying to sell the call and Stoll let up just enough. Maybe a penalty in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Anyone who says the Bernier hit isn't worth 5 needs to give their head a shake. most of us here would be calling for a major if the Sedins were hit like that

The way the finals ended with that boarding call just puts an exclamation point on how the Kings have been getting calls all playoffs long.

LA: 7.825 pp mins per game, 4.4 powerplays per game, 1.65 powerplays per 2nd period, 1.6 powerplays per 3rd period

NYR: 6.525 pp mins per game, 3.5 powerplays per game, 1.15 powerplays per 2nd period, 1.00 powerplays per 3rd period

NJD: 5.989 pp mins per game, 3.33 powerplays per game, 1.21 powerplays per 2nd period, 1.04 powerplays per 3rd period

PHX: 5.5 pp mins per game, 2.9375 powerplays per game, 0.9 powerplays per 2nd period, 0.95 powerplays per 3rd period

That's quite a bit of help they've been receiving. Esp. in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Combine this with the untabulated 'non-calls' they have been getting away with all playoffs long, like the non-call on Stoll before the Bernier boarding call, and you have yet another helped-along cup win. Yes, i'm talking about Chicago and Boston. Good teams made better by league championship pre-determination.

Rigging in pro sports is nothing new, folks. The NHL is using NBA-style penalty/foul fixing to determine game outcomes. Cheers.

TOML

I'm convinced that the head of officiating is actually Peggy from the Capital One commericials.

"Peggy, we're getting lambasted by the teams, the fans, and all of the media. What do we do?"

"Hold please." click

There should be no missed calls when you have 4 refs on the ice at all times. But what about the ref who got laid out for been in the way...talk about unprofessional. He should know where to be at all times....SAD~!

There should be no missed calls when you have 4 refs on the ice at all times. But what about the ref who got laid out for been in the way...talk about unprofessional. He should know where to be at all times....SAD~!

It was certainly a major, however the referees also missed a boarding call on Stoll moments before the hit, which if called, would have meant that the Bernier hit never would have happened.

I also feel like the Kings should have gotten an Interference call on Stoll (correct me if I'm wrong) for "hog-tying " (words of Jim Hughson) the Devils player before the Kings went down the ice for their 3rd goal.

Not gonna say the officiating is biased in any way, but it is absolutely brutal. There is zero consistency on what is a penalty, and what isn't.

Archived