The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL and officiating

I'm not a fan of the way the officiating has gone from February on this season, (too much "game management, IMO) but I have to say that Bernier's was definitely five and a game. This has been consistent for two years now.

Stoll on Gionta amy have been two, but it would have been borderline. Not knowing what was going to happen a minute or so later, I'm okay with the zebras letting that one go.

The one that really had me puzlled though, was what happened right after the Bernier hit and LA had pulled Quick. The Kings took the puck into the Devils' zone and just before losing possession, one of the Kings threw a forearm right into the face of a new Jersey player. I can't remember if it was Hughie or Doc (I was switching between NBC and CBC) but he called it a "forearm shiver" at the time.

I was fully expecting to see four on four for the first two minutes, followed by three minutes of PP time for LA.

Tough way for the Devils to lose, but they dug themselves too deep a hole to climb out of...

i thought it was definitely worth the 5mins. last year they didn't call anything and everyone was complaining, and this year they're calling stuff and everyone's complaining again. if they're going to call a lot of penalties, obviously it's going to be a little inconsistent. it's impossible to be entirely consistent. i really don't think there was much of a tilt forward the kings reffing-wise. the 5 mins were deserved. otherwise, there were a few bad calls for both sides.

That was definitely worth 5 and a game, Bernier did not let up and drove Scudari from behind into the boards, initially the refs were going to call a minor, but after seeing his face they had to call 5.

As for the Gionta hit just prior, the reason I believe there was no call is because he looked right at the refs immediately, to me it looked like he was trying to sell the call and Stoll let up just enough. Maybe a penalty in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Anyone who says the Bernier hit isn't worth 5 needs to give their head a shake. most of us here would be calling for a major if the Sedins were hit like that

it was definitely worthy of a game misconduct. We've seen less harmful plays called for game misconduct. However, the refs did miss the Stoll hit (quite similar to the game misconduct in itself), and then later gave Penner a penalty for grazing a player...

As much as i love hockey and the NHL, I am kind of hoping that next year is a shorter one starting in the new year just for the sake that the CBA (and everyone involved - don't really know too much about it to be fair haha) can sort out the consistencly. Personally I wasn't too bothered who won the cup, I was hoping Broduer could get another but was so happy to see Mitchell raise cup. I remember 10 years ago, calls were made fairly, somewhere along the lines star players (got special treatment) and the reffing became horrible and inconsistent.

You guys that are saying it deserved 5 minutes are out to lunch. This was a routine hit on the forecheck until Scuderi decided to turn his back to Bernier at the last moment. Even as Bernier crosses the goal line, Scuderi's back still isn't completely in front of Bernier. The refs are supposed to take into account whether the player getting hit puts himself in a vulnerable position just prior or simultaneous with the hit. Not only that, but it looked like they decided on 5 minutes after Scuderi stayed down on the ice and milked the call.

ZtnUl.jpg

I hate when people make the argument "he came from a long way to make the hit" as if that somehow indicates malicious intent.

When you dump the puck in on the forecheck, you are always going to be coming from a long way. It seems this argument gets made whenever there is a questionable hit, but ignored the other 99% of the time when forwads attempt to make a routine hit below the goal line after a dump in.

Archived