The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can The Sedins Win Us A Cup

RyanKeslord17

I love the Sedins. Not just for what they've done on the ice, but also what they've done off of it.

But i'll be honest. I don't see them winning a cup.

They're just not that classic playoff material.

Sure everyone brings up that we made it to game 7 of SCF against Boston. It wasn't the Sedin's carrying us through the finals though. It was our goaltending (at home) and supporting cast.

They're just not build for that long grind. Sad to say.

I love the Sedins. Not just for what they've done on the ice, but also what they've done off of it.

But i'll be honest. I don't see them winning a cup.

They're just not that classic playoff material.

Sure everyone brings up that we made it to game 7 of SCF against Boston. It wasn't the Sedin's carrying us through the finals though. It was our goaltending (at home) and supporting cast.

They're just not build for that long grind. Sad to say.

Blame the Linden trade on Messier and Keenan, neither of which will ever have any fans in Vancouver. It did get us McCabe and Bertuzzi, and we brought him back later once our team was starting to rebuild from the hole those two dug for us.

Bure was another situation altogether, with plenty of rumours that management screwed that up royally. Regardless, Bure was never the same after going to Florida due to knee injuries and all that, so it was a good move.

Do we have a management group that hates the best forwards on our team? Are they having of career-threatening injuries that will reduce their effectiveness? Nice try though.

No. The writing is on the wall. We need more size up front.

Don't get me wrong, having the Sedin's on our team is a major positive, and here is where they should stay. But, they are supported by too many light weight forwards, who comparatively produce too little, and that likely needs to change if this team stands a real chance of landing the Cup.

Dream big - go big and make a bid to sign Shane Doan this summer - big power forward right winger to play with them - just what the Dr. ordered. Best option if available on the UFA right wing market this summer - use Luongo's cap hit if he winds up being moved.

Situational option to move Burrows to the first line and put Doan on Kesler's right wing with Booth - difficult line to handle.

Luongo to Florida for a big prospect center and prospect right handed d-man - they have no shortage of young quality players to fit both of those bills. Perhaps one of their depth forwards in the deal as well.

Some reasonably priced shutdown blueliners on the UFA market this summer if Garrison/Schultz don't pan out.

LA didn't win the cup by just star players and neither can Vancouver if the opportunity comes again.

It was workhorses like Brown that contributed and Vancouver has to have guys like Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre, Hansen etc to start using their size and score some goals.

The Vancouver mindset is that we have to have a 1st line who score, a 2nd line that score, a 3rd line that is the shutdown line and a 4th line who can goon it up and wear down the oppositions defense.

The mindset of a Stanley Cup winning team is that they all do whatever it takes to win and forget pigeon hoing players. They just empower their players to get the job done with no acting and diving or holding back a player from playing with emotion that can result in questionable play. They just expect everyone to play 100% of the time and do what they do best and up their game.

It always seem that the Vancouver players are not sure if they should finish a check or just angle the player to the boards gently. The opposition lays on a hard hit when it is there as well as mug anyone in front of the net.

In a nutshell, Vancouver needs some more size but they also have to stop playing a soft game and taking perimeter shots. They need some collective backbone.

A player like Iginla is what the team needs (or a couple of them).

We are talking about 2/3 of a line.

surround the sedins with more grit and we are a far more dynamic team then the bruins or kings

The only consern I have with this team is our prospects

We need to worry about our farm as much as the big club

be a Detroit or NJ, not a San Jose or Chicago

keeping the window open by injecting scouted draft picks, collage FA's

If I'm gillis I'm looking for a little cap space, draft picks, prospects via Raymond or Bobby Luo

As long as we make the playoffs we have a chance cause you never know who will step up.

We also need a solid bottom 6

I'm more worried about what surrounds the sedins then the sedins themselves

How about we find the Sedins a new linemate? Burrows isn't cutting it, we need a legit power forward who can win puck battles, establish a forecheck, and play physical to make room for them. Hopefully Kassian is that guy in a few years but the point is we need to get tougher on our forward group as a whole.

How about we find the Sedins a new linemate? Burrows isn't cutting it, we need a legit power forward who can win puck battles, establish a forecheck, and play physical to make room for them. Hopefully Kassian is that guy in a few years but the point is we need to get tougher on our forward group as a whole.

get Booth back to his 25-goal-potential form (have him practice plays and shooting with Danny). Line him up with the Twins. Have him use his size down low. I think if Anson Carter could get 33 with them, Booth could get 35+ (heck Burr did it, though he had pretty decent instincts, but Booth does do similar things) if he's on his game.

I don't see the problem with the Sedins; sure Rey don't hit much, nor are they aggressive, but they're strong. I mean, they can take more checks in a game than anybody else! They play their game, and they do it really well.

Besides, Crosby and Malkin aren't overly physical, and they've won the Cup. Kane isn't physical either, and he was one of the key players when Chicago won.

To all of you who are saying the Sedins have "less heart" than Linden - you have no way to prove it. Just because Linden scored twice in Game 7 and the Sedins were shutout doesn't mean they have less heart. Just because there isn't a picture of Henrik with blood on his sweater holding his goalie doesn't mean he doesn't play with heart. These guys are as clutch as anyone else in the league and the problem is definately not our top-2 scorers.

Despite playing some of the best defences in the history of the NHL and in a time when goal scoring is really drying up, guess what - the Sedins are still a point a game in the playoffs. These guys are the definition of consistency and Henrik is always scoring big goals when the team needs it the most, but they can't do everything. A point a game is all we should ask from them.

Our problems are depth scoring - Kesler was IMO our most useless forward in the last 20 games, absolutely disgusted by his play. I don't care if he's injured or not, he is hurting the team by playing hurt. Booth and Higgins disappeared in the playoffs and our defence was the worse I've ever seen it. We have plenty of areas to fix up that the Kings exposed, but the Sedins is not one of them.

Even with the recent trend of big skilled forwards winning cups (Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Penner, Carter, Kopitar all giant, skilled forwards in their teams top-6 who made it to the Finals), the Sedins are tough enough to withstand a physical beating from defencemen. Of course this is different against Chara who may be the biggest player to play the game and the most physical, but they didn't have a problem scoring against Quick who was backed up by a relatively big, physical defence.These guys can get it done and as long as they don't face anymore giant 7 foot beasts in their playoff career they will produce.

Archived