The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Ex-Canuck Willie Mitchell

Captain Hindsight

Congrats Willie! Considering he was signed for just 3.5 million, we could have kept him on board instead of go out and grab Ballard. I know hindsight is everything, but imagine this roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Grabner

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Hamhuis

Bieksa - Mitchell

Salo - Alberts

That's a big, physical cup winning defence, a forward group with a good mix of size, speed and skill and probably a Cup winner.

Congrats to Willie. Well deserved I could only wish it had been with Vancouver. Played most of the season in the top pairing with Doughty.

I could understand MG's concerns about Willie's health and a desire for only one year contract as well as Willie's desire for a multi year. Nothing like a career ending injury to make security for your family #1. I also believe at some point Willie's view of playing defence parted with Canuck coaching. Nothing to base that on other than body language as he came to tne bench and as he sat on the bench. He had reason to be unhappy with Van's zone coverage and lack of puck support. A lot of the plays where he looked bad were actually blown coverages by teammates.

Least CDC fans forget it was Willie and Manny who straightened out our biggest fan Ron MacLean about Alex Burrows.

Our other Canuck alumni, Steve Bernier, ended is season on a sour note. His 4th line had a great CUP run and Steve played fantastic hockey as they saved the NJD a number of times with great physical play, great forechecking and timely goals. He went from being cut by Florida to AHL time with the NJD affiliate and then back to the NHL in one season. You have to admire his drive.

Well, I for one had a big stupid grin when I saw Willie lifting it, he was so happy. Always thought the world of that guy.

And I'm baffled by some of the hate for him here...do people realize why he ended up going to LA? Canucks management didn't think he would make it past his concussion, if you want to blame anybody blame GMMG.

Congrats Willie! Considering he was signed for just 3.5 million, we could have kept him on board instead of go out and grab Ballard. I know hindsight is everything, but imagine this roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Grabner

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Hamhuis

Bieksa - Mitchell

Salo - Alberts

That's a big, physical cup winning defence, a forward group with a good mix of size, speed and skill and probably a Cup winner.

Why does Mitchell "deserve" anything? He was a decent D-man for us for 3 years.....this isn't Mattius Ohlund we're talking about who spent pretty much his entire youth and prime here. Mitchell struggled along with the rest of the team when we went to the playoffs...so I don't get why Canucks fans feel the need to be happy for him. We decided to go with Hamhuis, and he's a better D-man now and going forward. He just isn't lucky enough to have a perennial all star like Doughty as a D partner.

Archived