Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Congrats to Ex-Canuck Willie Mitchell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#61 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Congrats Willie! Considering he was signed for just 3.5 million, we could have kept him on board instead of go out and grab Ballard. I know hindsight is everything, but imagine this roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Grabner
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Kassian - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Hamhuis
Bieksa - Mitchell
Salo - Alberts

That's a big, physical cup winning defence, a forward group with a good mix of size, speed and skill and probably a Cup winner.
Posted Image

#62 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Who thinks the cups is going fishing in Port McNiel this summer! Way to go Willie, it's too bad he couldn't have done it as a Canuck.

#63 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Congrats to Willie. Well deserved I could only wish it had been with Vancouver. Played most of the season in the top pairing with Doughty.

I could understand MG's concerns about Willie's health and a desire for only one year contract as well as Willie's desire for a multi year. Nothing like a career ending injury to make security for your family #1. I also believe at some point Willie's view of playing defence parted with Canuck coaching. Nothing to base that on other than body language as he came to tne bench and as he sat on the bench. He had reason to be unhappy with Van's zone coverage and lack of puck support. A lot of the plays where he looked bad were actually blown coverages by teammates.

Least CDC fans forget it was Willie and Manny who straightened out our biggest fan Ron MacLean about Alex Burrows.

Our other Canuck alumni, Steve Bernier, ended is season on a sour note. His 4th line had a great CUP run and Steve played fantastic hockey as they saved the NJD a number of times with great physical play, great forechecking and timely goals. He went from being cut by Florida to AHL time with the NJD affiliate and then back to the NHL in one season. You have to admire his drive.

#64 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

It pissed me off seeing him lift the cup. He was always a Canuck killer. Especially when he left. Say what you will about he and he's a good guy and all, yada yada, but the core all took home town discounts, why couldn't he?

I beleive we only offered him 1 year, but the kings offered him more years, same amount
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#65 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,561 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I hate the rest of his team though.

Edited by avelanch, 12 June 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#66 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

He's a prick. It doesnt matter what he did for us while here, its how you handle being moved that shows your true character. And he's not a good guy. Whether he's from here or not, doesnt matter

Gotta disagree with this. Willie was moved after he was injured. I was kinda shocked when it happened and said to freinds at the time it was a mistake. MG felt he was shipping out a liability. Willie was a beast for us and gave it everything he had for this organization. I'd be a little bitter if a GM gave up on me too. Hopefully this perverbial pie in the face teaches MG not to quit on a player too soon.

Congrats Willie

Edited by komodo1970, 12 June 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#67 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well, I for one had a big stupid grin when I saw Willie lifting it, he was so happy. Always thought the world of that guy.

And I'm baffled by some of the hate for him here...do people realize why he ended up going to LA? Canucks management didn't think he would make it past his concussion, if you want to blame anybody blame GMMG.

dontforgettolentil.png

#68 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Made me happy to see him hoist the cup. Too bad it wasn't it a Nucks jersey.

#69 verybcman

verybcman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I like Willie M., it's the Kings I hate. So, congrats to him.

It was around this title's posting that Willie skated and raised the Cup.

And it was around this time that Mike Gillis was in Applebee's blowing on his soup.

#70 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Congrats Willie! Considering he was signed for just 3.5 million, we could have kept him on board instead of go out and grab Ballard. I know hindsight is everything, but imagine this roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Grabner
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Kassian - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Hamhuis
Bieksa - Mitchell
Salo - Alberts

That's a big, physical cup winning defence, a forward group with a good mix of size, speed and skill and probably a Cup winner.

I agree, it would have been a different story in last years playoffs and this years. Mitchell was a huge piece of the Kings cup run. One of GMMG's worst mistakes. (I think he should have resigned Naslund and not Demitra as well)

Congrats Willie, you are pure class and great character.

#71 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Meh.

#72 blipstir

blipstir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Congratulations to the LA Kings and Willie Mitchell on their success. Well earned.

#73 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

He's a prick. It doesnt matter what he did for us while here, its how you handle being moved that shows your true character. And he's not a good guy. Whether he's from here or not, doesnt matter

Some Canuck fans get so butthurt about players moving on.

Family is the bottom line. Willie didn't know what his future entailed, coming off of a serious concussion, so he found a team that was willing to give him a two year deal over a one year deal.

How exactly did he mishandle the move? Mitchell actually came back to BC to do charity work. I think I remember seeing a photo of him, Manny and Hamhuis.

I am very happy for Mitchell because he played his heart out when he was here. I remember him blocking a shot with his face on the PK and kept playing, blood pouring down his face.

Warrior.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#74 Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

When will we know when Willie is coming to Port McNeil with the cup?

Go Canucks Go

#75 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

When will we know when Willie is coming to Port McNeil with the cup?

You would think as one of the senior guys on the team he would get it sooner rather than later.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#76 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Why does Mitchell "deserve" anything? He was a decent D-man for us for 3 years.....this isn't Mattius Ohlund we're talking about who spent pretty much his entire youth and prime here. Mitchell struggled along with the rest of the team when we went to the playoffs...so I don't get why Canucks fans feel the need to be happy for him. We decided to go with Hamhuis, and he's a better D-man now and going forward. He just isn't lucky enough to have a perennial all star like Doughty as a D partner.

#77 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I too am happy for Wille. HE played very well and deserves everything he gets.

By the same token, I feel bad for Bernier. That major penalty pretty much sealed the Devils' fate.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#78 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,561 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I too am happy for Wille. HE played very well and deserves everything he gets.

By the same token, I feel bad for Bernier. That major penalty pretty much sealed the Devils' fate.

Bernier tried his darndest to help them win, unfortunately it was too late, and from behind.

Edited by avelanch, 12 June 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#79 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Bernier tried his darndest to help them win, unfortunately it was too late, and from behind.

Yeah, sometimes it's possible to try too hard. Enthusiasm and desire to "make a difference" get in the way of common sense. I think this is what happened with Torres and Bitz as well...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#80 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Congrats Willie, see you on the island BIG GUY!
Posted Image

#81 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, good job Willie. Oh, and thanks for owning us every time you played against us in the playoffs, but while on our team, doing absolutely nothing in the playoffs. Thanks again.

#82 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Bernier was robbed, he was clearly the MVP.

But congrats to Willie, he's a guy that deserved to win. Please Willie, take the cup when it's your turn and drive by AV's place and honk your horn and wave.

#83 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Why does it matter. Yes he was a former Canuck but he isn't one now.

So... mitchell is a Canuck again then?

Posted Image

#84 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Bernier was robbed, he was clearly the MVP.

But congrats to Willie, he's a guy that deserved to win. Please Willie, take the cup when it's your turn and drive by AV's place and honk your horn and wave.

Yes, because Willie was so mistreated by AV.

Hey, we know you don't like the coach, but if you must rag on him, at least come up with something that makes a modicum of sense. Or is that asking too much of someone who doesn't have a clue about coaching a professional hockey team?

#85 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Damn youse. Damn youse all to heck.Congrats Willie.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#86 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Why does Mitchell "deserve" anything? He was a decent D-man for us for 3 years.....this isn't Mattius Ohlund we're talking about who spent pretty much his entire youth and prime here. Mitchell struggled along with the rest of the team when we went to the playoffs...so I don't get why Canucks fans feel the need to be happy for him. We decided to go with Hamhuis, and he's a better D-man now and going forward. He just isn't lucky enough to have a perennial all star like Doughty as a D partner.

Voynov was Mitchells partner all year. ;)

And I don't feel the need to be happy for Willie....I just am. Can't help it.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 12 June 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#87 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Voynov was Mitchells partner all year. ;)

And I don't feel the need to be happy for Willie....I just am. Can't help it.

I just remember the shift when Willie blocked three shots in a row for the Canucks, even though the first one almost dropped him....

...hard not to be happy for a warrior like that.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.