Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Contrast with the LA Kings

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 cchobo

cchobo

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to jot down some quick thoughts on a few differences between the Canucks and the Kings.

1) As everybody may know, LA is HUGE. Most of their forwards and D are physically imposing and can punish with their brute strength. If anyone watched the handshakes after, the Devil players were noticeably shorter than the LA players.

Now, aside from a few players (Kassian, Bitz, Lappiere, and Kesler), i don't recall any Canuck a physical specimen. Really, our D are tiny, compared to the defence of LA.

GM Mike Gillis needs to address this by signing big, strong, and skilled players (i know, they are a premium) who have the heart and determination. The least Gillis could do is address the size of our D.

2) Our team has nobody with a Stanley Cup ring. This fact alone tells me that in the locker room, the Canucks have no one to depend upon. LA has 3 players with a ring: Penner, Scuderi, and Fraser.

I say we need maybe 2 or 3 players with a Stanley Cup ring. That way, the team has added experience.

GM Mike Gillis should find a 4th line guy who can play a top 6 role, if needed, with leadership, some skills, and a Stanley Cup ring. Oh, and a Defenceman with a ring would be nice too.

3) LA has John Stevens as an assistant. Maybe, Mike Gillis should look into finding an assistant with experience as a head coach (Stevens headcoached the Flyers).

Thanks for reading!

#2 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Big difference:

L.A. has a cup, the Canucks still don't.

Also Sammy Pahlsson's and Aaron Rome's Stanley Cup ring says hi!

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 11 June 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

LA is in LA

Vancouver is in Vancouver
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#4 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

LA: 1 Stanley Cup

VAN: 0 Stanley Cups
Posted Image

#5 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Biggest difference: Luck

LA captured lightning in a bottle on their run to the Cup. Everything went right in the playoffs. Every player got hot at the right time. New Jersey winning two games in a row near the end is the only semblance of adversity they had to face.

LA also had no significant injuries. You don't even hear rumours that anyone on the team is playing through injury.

The new NHL is all about parity. Anyone can beat anyone. LA won two tight 2-1 games in overtime. A lucky bounce the other way in either game and it's very different. Really, the only game the Kings had any back luck was game 4 in the Cup Final. That's it.

The Kings got hot at the right time. That's all there is to it.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#6 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,057 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

LA Kings : Quick

Canucks : Luongo

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to jot down some a quick thoughts thought on a few differences differences between the Canucks and the Kings.

1) Our team has nobody 2 players with a Stanley Cup ring. This fact alone tells me that in the locker room, the Canucks have no one 2 people to depend upon. LA has 3 players with a ring: Penner, Scuderi, and Fraser.

I say we need maybe 2 or 3 players more players with a Stanley Cup ring. That way, the team has added more experience.

Thanks for reading my edited version! :lol:

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDC FL - St. Louis Blues GM medium.jpg

medium.jpg CDC EHL - Columbus Blue Jackets GM medium.jpg

medium.jpg CDC SFHL - Tampa Bay Lightning GM medium.jpg

#8 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,913 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

We need a top 4 defencemen as well as make some tweaks up front.

Not sure about the goaltending situation.

307mg00.jpg

#9 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Bowness was a head coach.
Rome and Pahlsson have rings
Research your details before you post.
Posted Image

#10 TheNoelPatrol

TheNoelPatrol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to jot down some quick thoughts on a few differences between the Canucks and the Kings.

1) As everybody may know, LA is HUGE. Most of their forwards and D are physically imposing and can punish with their brute strength. If anyone watched the handshakes after, the Devil players were noticeably shorter than the LA players.

Now, aside from a few players (Kassian, Bitz, Lappiere, and Kesler), i don't recall any Canuck a physical specimen. Really, our D are tiny, compared to the defence of LA.

GM Mike Gillis needs to address this by signing big, strong, and skilled players (i know, they are a premium) who have the heart and determination. The least Gillis could do is address the size of our D.

2) Our team has nobody with a Stanley Cup ring. This fact alone tells me that in the locker room, the Canucks have no one to depend upon. LA has 3 players with a ring: Penner, Scuderi, and Fraser.

I say we need maybe 2 or 3 players with a Stanley Cup ring. That way, the team has added experience.

GM Mike Gillis should find a 4th line guy who can play a top 6 role, if needed, with leadership, some skills, and a Stanley Cup ring. Oh, and a Defenceman with a ring would be nice too.

3) LA has John Stevens as an assistant. Maybe, Mike Gillis should look into finding an assistant with experience as a head coach (Stevens headcoached the Flyers).

Thanks for reading!

The whole team went to fricking game 7 of the finals. You can't get more experience than that.

QUOTE (diesel_3 @ Aug 28 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well..any way you slice it....Mike Gillis just pimp-slapped the Western Conference.

#11 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Newell Brown's Cup ring is shiny.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#12 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Biggest difference: Luck

LA captured lightning in a bottle on their run to the Cup. Everything went right in the playoffs. Every player got hot at the right time. New Jersey winning two games in a row near the end is the only semblance of adversity they had to face.

LA also had no significant injuries. You don't even hear rumours that anyone on the team is playing through injury.

The new NHL is all about parity. Anyone can beat anyone. LA won two tight 2-1 games in overtime. A lucky bounce the other way in either game and it's very different. Really, the only game the Kings had any back luck was game 4 in the Cup Final. That's it.

The Kings got hot at the right time. That's all there is to it.

End thread?!

But yes...i agree, but really believe that health is probably the most major problem any team will face.

To go the distance with all your core healthy is such a huge advantage. It is something the Canucks have had terrible luck with the last 3-4 years.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#13 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

The biggest difference between the teams is that the kings weren't playing against the refs during their finals.

But I was rooting for LAK over NJD, and love the fact that Mitchell won the cup :)

#14 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

I wouldn't say we really NEED those things (just because LA wins one way doesn't mean everyone else has to copy them to win the Cup), but they would definitely help.

#15 Canuck_crazy_in_WA

Canuck_crazy_in_WA

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Well look at the bright side. We lost against the Stanely Cup Champions two years in a row. So we just need to take that final step :)
Go Canucks Go

30 years and waiting will this be the year?

#16 cchobo

cchobo

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Bowness was a head coach.
Rome and Pahlsson have rings
Research your details before you post.

Rome and Pahlsson do have rings.....But, do they play a significant role on our team? A third line shut-down center and a spare D?

#17 thekeslerfan

thekeslerfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Well look at the bright side. We lost against the Stanely Cup Champions two years in a row. So we just need to take that final step :)

Actually 3 years in a row. Chicago, Boston, LA

#18 Canuck_crazy_in_WA

Canuck_crazy_in_WA

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Actually 3 years in a row. Chicago, Boston, LA

I stand corrected. So lets hope we go all the way next spring :). There is always hope. Skill is great, leadership is great but if you don't have the luck to go with it, you won't win a thing. Canucks had it until the final last year and then Boston just had more , some of it due to the referees unfortunately.
Go Canucks Go

30 years and waiting will this be the year?

#19 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Very simple. We sucked, they didn't. End of story

#20 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Nitpicking a little bit here, but Rome's Stanley Cup ring doesn't really count as "experience."
Posted Image

#21 cchobo

cchobo

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Nitpicking a little bit here, but Rome's Stanley Cup ring doesn't really count as "experience."

Exactly.

#22 jmd_canauckfan

jmd_canauckfan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

If the Canucks were ever in a position where they had to depend on Dustin Penner in the locker room, I think they'd be in bigger trouble than they are now...

#23 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Luck had nothing to do with it.

Our weaknesses were:

Goaltending. Quick > Luongo. By the time Schneids got to start it was almost already too late

Defense: LA had a bigger, more physical defense. Edler had one of the worst playoff series of his career. The whole of our defense just couldn't contain LA. (Then again a lot of teams ran into that) Doughty is an elite d-man, a type that we're lacking.

Offense: Outside of the Twins did anyone else show up? Where was Booth? Where was Higgins? Burrows? Kes was hurt. LA had secondary scoring with the likes of King, Penner, Stoll.

Coaching: Look at the two coaches. AV and his assistants didn't get the team to work on fixing it's powerplay, or work on an effective forecheck. Dump-Chase, Dump-Chase. Predictable. Then you look at Sutter. He was getting the most of his horses. He played a puck possession game. The players were like lions on raw meat. Sutter was actually COACHING his players, working with them, correcting mistakes, demanding more of his guys. Sutter got results. AV...well getting to game 7 I guess is good enough for this franchise.

That's why we lost. We got out-worked, out-coached. The team from 2/3rd of the season on was out of gas, plain and simple.
You can get hot at the right time, but you need the team to get you to 16 wins.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#24 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Stanley Cup experience is overrated. The Canucks have a ton of players who have gone to game 7 of the SCF anyways, and experience comes from the marathon, not the final sprint.

The fact does remain that the Canucks need a physically imposing defenceman. One of the problems that has been ongoing is the lack of muscle along the boards in our own end. It's not so much that the Canucks are too small, it's that there's little threat for opposing forwards to go down low.

As for size up front, it's a luxury more than anything. Acquiring a skilled tough guy costs a lot, be it in assets or cap hit. We also have Kassian, despite him being a work in progress.

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

The big difference?
The refs and LA wear the same coloured jerseys.
Posted Image

#26 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Canucks choked in big games, got lucky on the way to the SCF and then got completely outclassed and outmatched against the Bruins.

Kings on the other hand, dominated the top 3 teams in the West and then won BIG in a must win game for them.

#27 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Doughty destroyed the Devils.

Only person who could have possibly done what Doughty did was Ehrhoff. Too bad he's gone.

Posted Image

#28 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

Newell Brown's Cup ring is shiny.

Newell Brown's drop pass strategy is also genius. :picard:
Posted Image

#29 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

The big difference?
The refs and LA wear the same coloured jerseys.

How can you blame it on the refs? I know the reffing is often pretty bad, but I can't really say it was biased against Vancouver. Besides the series wasn't even close enough for the refs to make a difference. LA obviously outplayed Vancouver and deserved to win.

Edited by etsen3, 11 June 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#30 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

How can you blame it on the refs? I know the reffing is often pretty bad, but I can't really say it was biased against Vancouver. Besides the series wasn't even close enough for the refs to make a difference. LA obviously outplayed Vancouver and deserved to win.

I wasn't. I was just making a bad joke. I totally agree with you.

Edited by Jagermeister, 11 June 2012 - 11:35 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.