The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your expectations for 2012-13 season

canucktican

What I want to happen

The Canucks are able to sign both goalies to big contracts, and they split the game 50/50.

Torres comes back, and Byfuglien is traded to the team for a 4th round pick.

The Canucks' get a great record, which has 50 wins!

Our boys beat the Kings 4-1 in Round 1, and Lapierre scores to win Game 5, 2-1, on a 2-on-1 play. They advance to beat Detroit and Phoenix, and meet Boston in the Stanley Cup Final. The Bruins win the first three games, but the Canucks come back with three overtime wins to tie up the series. In Game 7 SCF OT, Burrows gets the winner and beats the Bruins 3-2, in Game 7.

What will really happen

Schneider stays, and finishes the season as a Vezina finalist, but doesn't win the actual Vezina.

AV tries to implement a new style of play in the team; as a result, MG will get better players according to that style. The new model will be the "Rangers" model.

Raymond gets traded for a pick and a noticeable prospect.

The Canucks finish third in the conference, eliminate the 6th seed in 5 games, eliminate the 4th seed in 6 games, and lose in 6 games to the 1st seed in the WCF.

Its hard not to have expectations of winning the cup. I think we will see a different team next year than what we saw this year. I think the long off season will help the team become hungry again and it will be nice to have a full off season of training (except for Kesler). My belief is that Gillis will be "all-in" this off season and we will have some key additions come training camp.

I have to admit, it was sure tough seeing Brown lift the cup tonight, brought back a lot of sh!tty memories from last year...

Maybe ask the same question after the trade deadline.

But, if there are no significant trades to address size up front, I predict a repeat performance next year. We could still go deep into the playoffs, but will lose out to the bigger more physical teams.

Realistically:

President's Trophy Contenders: Hawks/Preds or Nucks in West, Sabres or Lightning in East.

These teams have ownership / management systems in place that are commited to spending what it takes to win, and the resources (developed or held in reserve until now) to back up that claim (yes, Canucks included). Although I place us high up on the list I think the Preds will take the PC next year (all they need is to trade Suter for a replacement and sign a top 6 or trade Suter for a top 6 and sign a D...basically the same 2 needs as us - a top 6 and a top 3 to 4 dman).

As for us, we move Lu for a top 6 F or top 3 Dman and add the other (or trade our resources to acquire) and basically we're there. We will win the NW DIV again but finish 2nd in the West to the Preds (3rd O/A).

I expect that the we will match up well in the first round as the top 4 (Nucks, Kings, Preds, Hawks) will pull away from the next tier of teams (less parity than in previous 2 years). So we should see round 2 but it depends on who we face from there...if it's the Hawks we should see round 3...if not, then we could be done in 2nd round vs. Preds or Kings...but who knows for sure.

As I've said in previous posts, we have to build just to win the Division, then take it from there. I suspect that had the Kings done a little better and we would have seen the Sharks in Round 1, we would have been through to Round 2...just the way the cookie crumbles.

Don't really have any high expectations.

But this is what I am expecting

- landing a middle seed in the west (4th in the west, due to below suggestion)

-using more games to rest our star players and giving our prospects some valuable experience in the NHL

-new defence ( too many 2 on 1s for my liking)

- more heart and teamwork ( that is what wins championships, ask L.A that)

I honestly don't know. We have a mystery team on our hands. One game they are looking unstoppable. The next they lose to one of the worst teams in the league.

I agree, this offseason will probably make or break the club. Given our horrible luck Gillis will make bold moves, and the team will collapse, and we'll have to rebuild, yet again.

I am having doubts about Gillis. Not that he's a bad GM, but because he was a former agent, I can see teams don't want to deal with him (getting burned in the past?). Gillis needs to make smart trades, and do a quick on the fly retooling.

In the end there might be a lockout so we might be screwed no matter what we fans want, or hope for.

What I want to happen

The Canucks are able to sign both goalies to big contracts, and they split the game 50/50.

Torres comes back, and Byfuglien is traded to the team for a 4th round pick.

The Canucks' get a great record, which has 50 wins!

Our boys beat the Kings 4-1 in Round 1, and Lapierre scores to win Game 5, 2-1, on a 2-on-1 play. They advance to beat Detroit and Phoenix, and meet Boston in the Stanley Cup Final. The Bruins win the first three games, but the Canucks come back with three overtime wins to tie up the series. In Game 7 SCF OT, Burrows gets the winner and beats the Bruins 3-2, in Game 7.

What will really happen

Schneider stays, and finishes the season as a Vezina finalist, but doesn't win the actual Vezina.

AV tries to implement a new style of play in the team; as a result, MG will get better players according to that style. The new model will be the "Rangers" model.

Raymond gets traded for a pick and a noticeable prospect.

The Canucks finish third in the conference, eliminate the 6th seed in 5 games, eliminate the 4th seed in 6 games, and lose in 6 games to the 1st seed in the WCF.

Need that #1 Norris caliber defenseman and we'll contend. (Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Letang, Keith, Chara, Doughty the #1 dmen of the past 6 Cup winners)

GMMG needs to make that trade. They've gotta quit that "defense by committee" mentality. Get Shea Weber or John Carlson and we'll be legitimate contenders.

Archived