The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Canucks don't have a Stanley Cup? No loyalty to their players

miles.p

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail.

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?)

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us?

Trade Sammuelson who was pretty much the heart of the team.

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave.

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player.

Carter wanted a 3 year deal @ 3 mil per. If the Canucks accepted that, they would've had tremendous cap troubles down the line for a possible one-hit wonder. He was out of the league the next year anyways so that proves how valuable he was.

Being a fan of the Hoff, I still understand why both sides parted ways. Ehrhoff wanted to sign a long term deal to secure himself financially and Vancouver was not willing to give him a front loaded, long term contract. Made sense for both sides to part ways since they couldn't come to an agreement. Ehrhoff also wanted to play on a competitive team, which is why he didn't sign with the Islanders. And no, Ehrhoff didn't make Edler.

Mitchell left because the Canucks were already stacked on D and there were questions surrounding his concussion that took him out for the season. The Canucks already had Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Edler, Ballard and Salo locked up for that year.

The Torres one I agree with but it may have been that Torres wanted to play elsewhere. Who knows?

Lol @ Samuelsson being the heart of the team.

The Hodgson trade was horrendous but at the same time, the Canucks had to let him go. I didn't like the return that the Canucks got in the trade, but I also understand why the Canucks had to trade Cody. There were several issues between him and the organization that were unfixable.

Ehrhoff and Carter wanted way too much money. Their greed is why we did not resign them. They showed no loyalty to us.

Mitchell was a gamble, his career was in jeopardy and he wanted a long-term deal, it was sad to see him go, but at the time it did not look like a good decision to keep him.

Torres was a 3rd liner, who played 1 year for us, players like him come and go every year for every team.

Sammuelsson is the only player who was treated like an asset. Regardless players get traded, deal with it.

Hodgson (and his Pa) wanted out. He couldn't deal with being a 3rd liner, and whether you blame him or AV for that feud, he showed he was not loyal to our team by asking to leave rather than get through the ordeal for the better of the team.

Sometimes teams get rid of players who you like. Hockey is a business, and the GMs do what they can to put together a winning team.

LA just won the Cup with a core of new players, by your logic by letting go of Schenn, Simmonds, Johnson, Handzus, Ponikarovsky, Smyth, Harrold, and Sturm (all since the beginning of last year) they showed no loyalty, and would therefore never win a Cup.

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail.

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?)

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us?

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave.

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player.

I don't agree with A. Carter, the Sedins and Mitchell.

Carter would have been overpaid. granted the Sedins didn't dominate vs. the Bruins but who did? where was Kesler, Luongo etc. it was a team downfall...and as someone pointed out already, Mitchell had a severe concussion and demanded a multi-year contract. I'm pretty sure you'd be one of the first to complain if Mitchell had missed half a season with a head injury.

however, I agree that I would have tried to keep Torres and Hodgson. whatever it took. I liked Torres' grit. Also, I understand the whole Cody situation but I think it was the wrong time to give up on him

Archived