Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 8 votes

Why Canucks don't have a Stanley Cup? No loyalty to their players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

#151 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

It pisses me off that players get incredibly greedy and ruin a good thing -- the team we had. We certainly could have used him this season. He makes this team just that much more of an offensive threat.

History has shown that people with great power often go corrupt or become too ambitious.

#152 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

You would have kept Hodgson? ever notice how clean his face was not a scratch on it..perfect. This team needs less clean and moar bruise. A few other soft clean players need to be dealt from this team including the diving team.

Better than having Kassian/Grag in this year's playoffs. At least Hodgson would have played more than 5 minutes.

I do like the trade though, but only time will tell us if it was a good trade or not.

Posted Image

#153 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

My drink came out my nose when I read "Traded Samuelsson who was pretty much the heart of the team" :bigblush:

Totally bro, that guy was a re-incarnation of Ryan Smyth...

Give your head a shake, turn off your computer and do what I'm guessing 12 year olds do with their spare time...play xbox.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#154 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Almost laughed out loud when I read that Sammy was the heart of the Canucks team

#155 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'd like to see more loyalty to past players. LA was able to hire Lucky Luc as part of the Kings brass. We should be able to do the same for Trevor. I know Trevor has said he is too preoccupied with his own projects, but the Canucks really made an effort, it could be done.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#156 thekeslerfan

thekeslerfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hamhuis > Mitchell

#157 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yeah it seems like their always looking for discount players? Like the next Webber 2.0 or at least getting players to take big discounts? I mean were still not that desirable a place to play, what do they think were Detroit or something? You get what you pay for and the Canucks managment has sh@t the bed with at least 50% of their trades or drafts over the years.
All's i can say is they better get a lot BIGGER and stronger or their always gonna have trouble going deep in the playoffs. I'm also starting to think last year was alot of luck with matchups, opposing injuries, etc.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#158 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

half of what you said isn't even true, and we had to let fo of carter because he wanted like 6M dollars , which was absolutely insane, but if you think loyalty is important, then I guess everyone should get 6M........

#159 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

1. Carter demanded for too much money.

2. Ehrhoff wanted a more money, I can see why MG didn't sign him, but I wouldve at least tried negotiating for longer. The Ehrhoff deal would look like a steal in a couple of years. Check out Ehrhoff's caphit compared to other dmen; it isn't that bad.

3. As many have already stated, Mitchell's career looked in jeopardy. We offered him a small contract and he declined. The Kings got a steal and now they won a cup. Also we had Hamhuis, Ballard, Salo, Ehrhoff, Edler, O'Brien, and Alberts: so there wouldn't be any space for him on the team.
Speaking of O'Brien, why did we trade him (a rs dman) for a plug like Parent?

4. I read an article after Torres signed with PHX. Supposedly, Gillis offered him 1.7 mil for 1 year and he wanted a longer term contract so he signed in Phoenix for less money but for a longer duration.

5. Yes, Samuelsson was the heart of the team... Two years ago in the LA series. I'm sure he wouldve helped a lot more during the playoffs last year which makes the loss hurt even more.
I'm fine with Booth, but I just wish we traded Raymond instead of Samuelsson. No player on this years roster could fill in Burrows' spot when he and the Sedins struggled; Samuelsson could always do that.

6. Hodgson deal sounded extremely stupid when I heard it. But like the other trades/missignings, its done and over with.

In summary, there are many things we can complain about, but no point to it. Worse trades have happened. Cam Neely anyone? Brent Sopel for our first rounder who turned out to be Wayne Simmonds? How we couldve drafted Lucic or Kopitar or gotten Gretzky? Or even drafted the almighty Datsyuk.

There's no point in looking back, look forward to the future of this team.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#160 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I know our offense wouldn't be where it is, but...

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ehrhoff - Edler
Ballard - Mitchell

There's a cup winning defense right there

Posted Image

#161 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ummm you seem to forget Morrison , Naslund ,Ohlund are just a few that should have been traded and we could have got players to help us.Before that we let go so many during the second playoff run we have had after the run which were getting older and we could have got better players.I dont think you have watched the canucks for very long if you think this.I have been watching and folling the Canucks since I was 3 so thats 36 years!Look at our team and see how many we have that we have drafted compaired to other teams.We have 12 players we have drafted playing for us in our starting lineup and others we insert into the lineup.
Posted Image

#162 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,634 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'd like to see more loyalty to past players. LA was able to hire Lucky Luc as part of the Kings brass. We should be able to do the same for Trevor. I know Trevor has said he is too preoccupied with his own projects, but the Canucks really made an effort, it could be done.

Stan Smyl, Jack McIlhargey, Ron Delorme, Dave Gagne, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts, Lars Lindgren....

Trevor has never showed any desire to become part of the Canucks' front office. Just because fans can't get over the fact, it doesn't mean that the organization doesn't show loyalty to past players.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#163 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail.

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?)

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us?

Trade Sammuelson who was pretty much the heart of the team.

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave.

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player.

Ummmm...... many? That point doesn't help your argument, in fact its completely wrong

No videos in sig please. 

#164 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Samuellson is an absolute garbage hockey player. Heart of the team. Shut up!

This garbage player got 5 pts in 7 games in the FLA/NJD series. Playoff performer, nuff said. And I don't understand this "we traded Booth for size". Samuelsson is 6'2", 218lbs. His thighs are made of tree trunks.

Ahem...
Dan Hamhuis.
Jason Garrison has also said he would like to be a Canuck this offseason.
And who else did we even try really hard to get in the last 2 years?

Only BC born UFA's seem to consider Vancouver as a destination. Meanwhile, CDC has been drooling over signing Zach Parise for the last 3 years...

Errorhoff and Hogs'son brought Buffalo to within one game of the Stanley Cup. Oh wait.

It's funny how CDC loves to bask in the 2nd place glory. Remind me how many cups we have won so far? Bottom line is that Sedin and Kesler have not won us the cup either, and 2nd place isn't good enough. Obviously, we have some bigger components missing in our formula. Or maybe our core pieces just aren't the right ones...
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#165 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

This garbage player got 5 pts in 7 games in the FLA/NJD series. Playoff performer, nuff said. And I don't understand this "we traded Booth for size". Samuelsson is 6'2", 218lbs. His thighs are made of tree trunks.

Okay Raph, that doesn't mean every player that scores points at one point in his life is Wayne Gretzky. Samuelsson is lazy, he's worse than Kesler at passing, he seriously refuses to back check in any capacity, he totally kills the power play unless he scores himself., gives up short handed opportunities like they are going out of style. keeps trying to carry the puck out of his own zone on the half boards when he's slower than molasses, refuses to play a third line role with entusiasm and heart. Do I need to go on. (In fact to the OP, he is the opposite of heart)

And he totally sucked for us last year in the playoffs and any other playoff except in one series where he played with the Sedins. You're just like the OP if you think that, you'd have 100 players on your team because everyone must have done something good at one point in their career in order to play in the NHL. You just can't retain crap and get better. Oh yeah, and FLA lost. Good for Sammy though that he picked up points at their expense in order to get a contract next year.

Edited by Dogbyte, 13 June 2012 - 03:11 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#166 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Damn Beer. It's good.

Go Germany !!!

Edited by Dogbyte, 13 June 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#167 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Okay Raph, that doesn't mean every player that scores points at one point in his life is Wayne Gretzky. Samuelsson is lazy, he's worse than Kesler at passing, he seriously refuses to back check in any capacity, he totally kills the power play unless he scores himself., gives up short handed opportunities like they are going out of style. keeps trying to carry the puck out of his own zone on the half boards when he's slower than molasses, refuses to play a third line role with entusiasm and heart. Do I need to go on. (In fact to the OP, he is the opposite of heart)

And he totally sucked for us last year in the playoffs and any other playoff except in one series where he played with the Sedins. You're just like the OP if you think that, you'd have 100 players on your team because everyone must have done something good at one point in their career in order to play in the NHL. You just can't retain crap and get better. Oh yeah, and FLA lost. Good for Sammy though that he picked up points at their expense in order to get a contract next year.

We're not comparing Samuellson to Kesler, we're comparing him to Booth who costs $2M more in cap space and lasts an additional 3 years. Booth with his 1 point in 5 playoff games. Booth is also by no means a defensive back checking superstar either.

Retain crap and get better... So what did we get with Booth? More expensive crap?
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#168 CanuckCupFever

CanuckCupFever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail. Canucks were right not to sign this guy b/c he went no where after Vancouver

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler. Look at the deal he got. Only one team was willing to give him that and the 29 other teams told him to take a hike.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?) We went and got Hamhuis thus why Willie left. Good deal.

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us? This is probably the best move done b/c the way the NHL is going and Torris' history, he doesn't fit into the new NHL. Case in point his suspension this year.

Trade Sammuelson who was pretty much the heart of the team. Traded for youth; I'll make that deal any day

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave. I think there is more to this than we know

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player. You contradicted yourself. "signing players for cheap...We have overpaid players" good argument there.

I think you have tunnel vision. My comments are bolded.

Edited by CanuckCupFever, 13 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Credit to VC for the awesome sig!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--quoteo(post=7599812:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Lenny Jones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lenny Jones @ Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=7599812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watch this: Canucks looking to Trade Luongo to New York (e5)
Now i'm just as good as eklund!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#169 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

You don't need loyalty to win a cup, look at Marian Hossa :P

#170 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

most retarded topic in about three days....... at least you win at something ...

ps Carter sucked......

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.