The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Canucks don't have a Stanley Cup? No loyalty to their players

miles.p

I agree with the OP in that the Nuck's screwed up on Ehrhoff and Mitchell, by not showing any faith/loyalty in them . AV didn't like the way either one of those Dmen played as well, despite their obvious abilities.

On the other hand they took loyalty to ridiculous heights of stupidity when they thought Bxa could play a top 4 role on a Stanley Cup team and made him the highest paid Dman on the team and gave him an insane 5 yr NTC.

Look at LA's D, with Mitchell, Dougherty + Scuderi. Bxa for example does nothing as well as any of those 3. The Nuck's will never win a cup until they fix their D. Dumping Bxa would be a start.

It doesn't make that much sense if you use your brain.

Ballard with concussion issues prior to acquiring him? When the hell did this happen? 2006? Because he hadn't missed a game after that. While Booth may not be a huge upgrade over Samuelsson offensively speaking, he is far more motivated. He at least puts in effort. Samuelsson often took nights off; been there done that. There's no need for players like that on this team. Plus, Booth is younger anyway and has potential to improve. I don't remember why we didn't sign Torres, but if we're crying over the loss of an easily replaceable 3rd/4th line forward...

I'll agree with the Hodgson part though. That was a joke. They gave up on him way too easy. MAKE IT WORK. Unbelievable how they gave up an NHL ready prospect for an AHL'er.

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler.

I don't recall Ehroff being told to take a hike, I remember it being more along the lines of we can keep either KB or Ehroff and KB was willing to take a discount to stay while Ehroff wanted a ten year deal. I don't blame ehroff for wanting to get paid, but we didn't have the money to handcuff us to 6 dmen making close to 4 million a year plus...also i'd say Edler was made more by Ohlund and Salo then Ehroff (while i'm sure he helped) Edler has played next to Salo and Ohlund for way more than he did Ehroff

Players need to be loyal to the team.

Not the other way around,

you wanna win? Then share the money with your team.

that builds a culture and unity.

You don't want the guys that don't buy into that.

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail.

Told Ehhroff to take a hike. If players don't feel wanted here, why should they sign with the organization? Look at the teams that have won the cup, it starts with great defense. Fact: Ehhroff made Edler.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?)

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us?

Trade Sammuelson who was pretty much the heart of the team.

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave.

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player.

Did not sign Carter back in 06 after a career season then tried to get cheaper version of him by going after Pyatt, Beirner and god knows who else. That was a pretty big fail.

Let Mitchell walk that was a defensive beast but only made 1 mistake (how many mistakes AV has made?)

Let Torres walk who confronted anyone that looked at the team wrong. Also won 1 game of the finals for us. How many wins do the Sedins have for us?

Forced Hodgson out because the coach hated him. We had a struggling Kelser who was injured and the management knew it yet we got played like fools. The bigger story was why did Hodgson leave.

Can't seem to get the others off the top off my head, but this is a major issue. Managements treats players like assets, they only care about signing players for cheap, not signing players to win games. We have overpaid players that dont' seem to fit AV's description of a player.

Every sports team has it's road map, and they have a right to follow it.

Besides, I see plenty of loyalty towards the likes of the Sedin's, Lu, Raymond, Kesler, etc.  It's just life.  You can't be overly fair to everyone all of the time, it just does not work out, and the players know and accept this from a young age, realising that any one of them could get traded at any time.

The Canucks problem is not loyalty, it's size up front, and they would be deceiving themselves if they do not do something significant about this through trades in the off-season.

Fair enough. But with all those exceptional facilities, sleep doctors, etc, you don't hear any of the top FA that say I want to come to Vancouver and play for them and help them win a cup. Yes it's a business, a very cut throat business at that, but at the same time you have to treat players as professional. Canucks don't treat their players as professional and it starts with the coach.

Everyone knows who AV likes and plays and who AV hates and refuses to play. If he doesn't like you, you're in his dog house. Which players wants to come to that? You can't tell me with a straight face that there is a friendly atmosphere inside the canucks locker room. There's a lack of chemistry, there's a lack of accountability, there's finger pointing, from the coaches to the so called superstars (Luongo and Kesler).

And the canucks so far have kept their core, but so what. Any player that has complemented well with the team is gone. Replaced with mini cheaper version of them. True that management signed the core for a cheap, but the management also overpaid Luongo and with all the attention of the past failed playoffs, Luongo doesn't want to be here anymore, but guess what, nobody wants that horrible contract.

Every year we hear from management that the canucks have a good group of players, play hard and all that but they have not stopped to look at that every year also there's new faces. It takes time to build chemistry. Especially with how AV treats the players with his favoritism.

Again, when is the last time you heard any FA say that I want to be a Vancouver Canuck. If we are such a great organization, how come we can't sign a big FA.

I agree with the OP in that the Nuck's screwed up on Ehrhoff and Mitchell, by not showing any faith/loyalty in them . AV didn't like the way either one of those Dmen played as well, despite their obvious abilities.

On the other hand they took loyalty to ridiculous heights of stupidity when they thought Bxa could play a top 4 role on a Stanley Cup team and made him the highest paid Dman on the team and gave him an insane 5 yr NTC.

Look at LA's D, with Mitchell, Dougherty + Scuderi. Bxa for example does nothing as well as any of those 3. The Nuck's will never win a cup until they fix their D. Dumping Bxa would be a start.

The problem is the Canucks just are not good enough to win a cup. Plain and simple. We're not good enough defensively and we're not good enough offensively. Face it folks we're like the San Jose Sharks. On paper we look like a stacked team, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, we just don't have what it takes to win a cup. We have too much money tied up in certain players when we could sign a couple cheap character players for that same money (dwight king and trevor lewis). We're going to have to dump a few players and hopefully trade for or sign some character guys otherwise we're not going to see a cup here anytime soon. It's sad really, but it is the truth.

actually what's more funny is that this thread shows how much of a homer and blind Canucks fans really are. They pretty much eat whatever crap the media feeds them.

If only we had intelligent fans that don't pick favorites. Maybe we could have discussions and not resort to name calling.

Archived