The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Changing the Rules!

komodo1970

I am sitting here watching the hilights of the LA game, paying specific attention to the Bernier hit and can't help but think about the constant rule changes having a lot to do with the refs decision to make the call. Yes, I feel it was the wrong call, but really, can you blame the ref? It seems the rules change every year and the refs have to keep up with it. I feel there is a lot of confusion in officials minds as to whether or not a play is a penalty or not.

The biggest change came when it was decided that there was too much clutching and grabbing in the game. It was this change that started the avalanche of rule changes to follow. So changes were made in an effort to eliminate this from the game. Fine. For seasons to follow, we had to watch penalty after penalty be called which in my mind took away from the game. The refs were becoming more noticeable then the players themselves. The slightest touches to players from behind, or bit of interference to a players progress were being called. It really was annoying.

With the speed came bigger hits (which I loved), which inevedably caused more injuries (in specific concussions), so they came up with a stricter charging rule and no hitting from behind. Again, more penalties and flow disruptions (the refs are starting to deserve their own hockey cards and stats). Now we have players constantly being able to free wheel through the neutral without fear of being checked or interfered with. Again, more border line calls to go with the poor hooking and holding calls.

Next is the hitting from behind rule. Checks along the boards are becoming too aggressive, so the hitting from behind rule is added. This is a rule I do agree with but feel it is enforced the wrong way. As is the norm, players use this rule to cause penalties. I am sick of the purposeful turning of the back to the play and embellishment of the hits that are made. I feel the players being hit, in a lot of cases, should be held accountable as well. In cases where the player with the puck intentionally turns his back to a check, an unsportsman like conduct penalty should be called. In these cases, the player getting injured or not should have no baring on the call as it was he who put himself in that position. If this were the case, I believe players will be a little more leary about making such a play. Penalties and suspensions. Yeah!!!!

Now we are dealing with the no head contact rule. Granted players like Cooke and Torres have given a few hits with more than just a good hockey play in mind, and maybe a little change to the rule was warranted, but now players intentionally duck their heads into a bad position or stretch out for a puck thus putting themselves at risk. Again the player putting himself at risk should be held accountable in some cases. In any event, still more penalties and suspensions. Weee!!!

My point in all this ranting is to request that Gary Bettman, NHLPA and ownership quit f!@cking with the game. I can see total confusion in the officiating, players and coaches constantly trying to figure out what's clean and what's not. I miss the days when it was the players themselves that policed the dirty actions. I still love hockey, but just don't carry the same excitement as the days of Odjik, Probert and Simon. In my mind the game was much more honest and more emphasis was n the game and not on all the penalties called or not called. The officials had a clearer understanding of what to call and what to leave alone. In the end I find it hard to blame officiating when the rules keep changing and they are constantly having to adapt.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think one of the biggest reasons for concussions is the quality of helmets along with the coated plastic that makes the shoulder pads and elbow pads. Hockey shoulder pads and elbow pads should be for protection only and should never be used as a weapon. Ever look at a movie like Slapshot? The players wore rIeally small shoulder pads and elbow pads. I know it's just a movie, but that type of equipment was worn all the way up until the early 90s and there wasn't nearly as many concussions even though I think the game was arguably rougher back then. I don't think the helmets are up to snuff either in quality. I think all the rule changes confuse everyone, like the blindside hit rule that nobody seems to understand. I completely agreed with the referees being far too involved in the game and calling far too many penalties. The definition of a well officiated game is when you don't notice the refereeing. Their job is to keep order in the game and make sure the players, the true entertainers, have a chance to showcase their talents for the consumer, aka the fans. If they do that, they've done their job. I am still a hockey fan, but the NHL has been perverted into something unrecognizable in the last 10 years. It's losing fans and interest around the continent. Unless they do something to go back to the golden days of 20 years ago, the league might never recover.

It's starting to look like the best play to make is turn into the boards at the last second, and hope the guy will run you from behind. Scuderi won the Kings a cup with that play!

What has to change? IMO, the "finishing your check" mentality. Hitting a player is a legal play to separate a player from the puck. That's all it's supposed to be for. But if he passes the puck away, why are players still able to lay him out for a good second or two? At that point, the only reason to hit them is to hurt/punish.

Right now, a forechecker's only goal is to go in and lay the body. They are focused solely on levelling the opposing defensemen, and if the puck turns over, great. However, they should primarily be focused on getting the puck, and only hitting to get it. This would reduce injuries, and open up the potential for more skilled players to play the "3rd/4th line roles", that commonly go to grunts who can more effectively hurt people.

It's starting to look like the best play to make is turn into the boards at the last second, and hope the guy will run you from behind. Scuderi won the Kings a cup with that play!

What has to change? IMO, the "finishing your check" mentality. Hitting a player is a legal play to separate a player from the puck. That's all it's supposed to be for. But if he passes the puck away, why are players still able to lay him out for a good second or two? At that point, the only reason to hit them is to hurt/punish.

Right now, a forechecker's only goal is to go in and lay the body. They are focused solely on levelling the opposing defensemen, and if the puck turns over, great. However, they should primarily be focused on getting the puck, and only hitting to get it. This would reduce injuries, and open up the potential for more skilled players to play the "3rd/4th line roles", that commonly go to grunts who can more effectively hurt people.

I agree with a lot of your points, except hitting is not only used to separate an opponent from the puck, but is also used to wear the opposition down to force turnovers in the future. Unfortunately it is tough to measure how useful this is compared to say...speed. It is hard to deny that physicallity wins hockey games. L.A. Kings and Boston Bruins are perfect examples.

ExactlyI think it was warranted to be a 5 minute penalty, only based on if this was a regular call. Unfortunately, the call was entirely based on Scudari staying down after the hit, as LA learned from their series with Pheonix. Rafi Torres get's 25 games for a hit Brown can throw and be applauded for a "tough play" or "finishing his check".

Bernier's hit definitely deserved a penalty, maybe not a 5 considering Scuederi saw him coming and turned but you still have to call that.

Though if that missed call on that hit on Gionta was called then Bernier's hit never happens and the Devils don't lose the game and cup in 5 minutes. Would they have lost anyways? probably seeing as how LA scored 3 more goals after that, but that penalty decided the game.

I agree in a lot of ways as well... HOWEVER, i also understand that things are not going to go back to the way they were before. Its simply not going to happen.

Life isnt fair and the good guys dont always win....

Soooo.... People need to adapt or die.

new rules are put in place to combat ill (or unforseen) effects with previous rules. its always been that way and the game (just like every other sport) will continue to grow and change.

We're all nostalgic for our 'old time hockey' but lets be more pro-active. Figuring out how to incorporate these rules (to work as they were intended) WITHOUT the negative side effects... now THAT'S productive (and the task the league is faced with)!

Bernier's hit definitely deserved a penalty, maybe not a 5 considering Scuederi saw him coming and turned but you still have to call that.

Though if that missed call on that hit on Gionta was called then Bernier's hit never happens and the Devils don't lose the game and cup in 5 minutes. Would they have lost anyways? probably seeing as how LA scored 3 more goals after that, but that penalty decided the game.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think one of the biggest reasons for concussions is the quality of helmets along with the coated plastic that makes the shoulder pads and elbow pads. Hockey shoulder pads and elbow pads should be for protection only and should never be used as a weapon. Ever look at a movie like Slapshot? The players wore rIeally small shoulder pads and elbow pads. I know it's just a movie, but that type of equipment was worn all the way up until the early 90s and there wasn't nearly as many concussions even though I think the game was arguably rougher back then. I don't think the helmets are up to snuff either in quality. I think all the rule changes confuse everyone, like the blindside hit rule that nobody seems to understand. I completely agreed with the referees being far too involved in the game and calling far too many penalties. The definition of a well officiated game is when you don't notice the refereeing. Their job is to keep order in the game and make sure the players, the true entertainers, have a chance to showcase their talents for the consumer, aka the fans. If they do that, they've done their job. I am still a hockey fan, but the NHL has been perverted into something unrecognizable in the last 10 years. It's losing fans and interest around the continent. Unless they do something to go back to the golden days of 20 years ago, the league might never recover.

Disagree with those who say hitting is meant to only seperate a player from the puck. Not true. Most hockey players hit to hurt and if you can't accept that fact it tells me that you have never played full contact hockey at a competitive level (either that or you hid from contact on the ice or were a goalie).

Keep in mind that playing hard and playing dirty are too very different things, yet referees today seem to have a terrible time deciding what to call (too many people whispering in their ears IMO). It is not Bettman (although I think he is a brutal commissioner) who has started the ridiculous changes to the game, it is the GMs who are trying to protect their talented draft picks. It's these yahoos that have sacrificed the spirit of our game and allowed players who don't belong in a tough game like this, to play on.

As for the penalty on Bernier: Scuderi saw Bernier coming but wasn't expecting the force of the hit to be what it was. That is not Bernier's fault, it was Scuderi's for not protecting himself by assuming the hit he saw coming was going to be a hard one. He casually made a turn when he should have either kept skating or hugged the boards. It's too bad this play decided the game winner as this is playoff hockey and if you aren't expecting to get crushed everytime you touch the puck, you don't belong on the ice.

Turning your back to the play is like cutting to the middle of the ice with your head down, you deserve your demise. To protect players who make this cowardly play is allowing the game to be manipulated and will only add to the degeneration of competitiveness. I recently watched some old school playoff games and I notice a huge difference in on-ice awareness. The games were tough and spirited but there weren't nearly as many ugly boarding calls (or diving and whining plays) as there are these days because players kept their heads up and respected the game!

Archived