The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Changing the Rules!

komodo1970

LA didn't actually try to win the cup. Rather, the league wrapped around LA and accomodated their needs until the win was delivered.

The same can be said about Boston and Chicago.

The cups aren't won on the ice anymore. They are won in boardrooms.

So the trick to 'winning the cup' isn't assembling the best team as it is convincing the rest of the league that it's your turn. If you're not one of Bettman's 'chosen' small market teams, that turn usually comes faster with more money being spent by ownership.

My feeling is that while the Canucks are closer than ever, it will still require a significant investment to secure an actual win. So the question is just how determined Aquilini is here. Cheers.

TOML

It's hard to compare the Raffi Torres hit to anything because that was the leagues way of saying, "Yes we got a player who doesn't play a lot of minutes, isn't a Captain / whatever so we can suspend him for a long time to make a statement." Torres was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If Crosby, Ovechkin, Weber, any of the superstars did a hit like that, and 50x worse, there wouldn't even be a 3 game suspension.

But I mean I agree with what you guys are saying, but when your adrenaline is pumping, and you see the same guys every other day, you do start to get mad and play with a fire.

My buddy always told me if you go into a hockey game, and expect to come out unscratched after every game you're playing the wrong sport.

For the most part I agree with what the OP said. The rules over the past decade or so have shown dramatic changes to the game, both positive and negative. Rule changes have urged players to become more accountable yet many have a tough time playing their style because of these changes. As a result, many 4th lines / specific role players seen in the past aren't as effective any more. GM's and coaches are required to balance skill and insert toughness throughout their lineups to be successful putting some players in unfamiliar territory. These hard hitting tough guys are no longer playing against other tough guys, instead playing against the cream of the crop. Sometimes the rules get broken, often because there's a happy medium too difficult for players to find. The NHL will never be what it was and it's certainly not perfect. However with better rule and penalty clarification as well as changes in accountability on both the referee's and player's parts, it would definitely be an improvement.

Turning your back to the play is like cutting to the middle of the ice with your head down, you deserve your demise. To protect players who make this cowardly play is allowing the game to be manipulated and will only add to the degeneration of competitiveness. I recently watched some old school playoff games and I notice a huge difference in on-ice awareness. The games were tough and spirited but there weren't nearly as many ugly boarding calls (or diving and whining plays) as there are these days because players kept their heads up and respected the game!

If the league wants to enforce rules to protect players then the priority should be to teach players not to turn their backs and be aware of putting themselves in dangerous positions.

Scuderi was just as responsible as Bernier. Horton was just as responsible as Rome. Yet somehow the consequences favour the "victim". It's messed up.

What's next? Take away slap shots because they hurt players trying to block them?

I realize that hitting is currently used to "wear the opposition down" (read: punish/hurt). What I was saying, is that I think that's wrong.

All that does is effectively remove skill from the game, either by physically disabling the players playing, or injuring them and having them replaced with inferior players.

The original purpose for hitting, the reason why it fits into the game, is to separate a player from the puck. However, at least 3/4 of the hits being thrown happen after a player no longer has the puck. They serve no purpose other than to hurt people, and their effect on the actual game of hockey is negative.

Also, usually hits from behind happen on a player who does not have possession of the puck. We say things like "get ready to be hit", and "brace yourself"...but why? That player no longer has the puck. Why should they be open season for the next couple of seconds? Just to "wear them down"? That's retarded.

/\

Your points are fine, but do not in any way answer my questions.

I'm basically asking, "Why does the league allow players to throw hits on people who no longer have the puck?" And you're responding on why the players do it, and how it's part of the game.

Again, I ask "Why does the league allow it?" Again, you respond why the players do it.

If I avoid finishing a check and allow a player the freedom to move, I give him the opportunity to win a puck race or a puck battle.

big confusion for sure.

imho, the nhl should just eliminate hooliganism out of the game, that is the real problem.

hits: separate player from puck, or shortly after player has had puck, excellent.

hits to the head: should just dish out 10 game suspensions, then 20 for repeat offenders. then it's not an issue anymore.

stick attacks: penalize them (ie. chara constantly hacking with stick between the whistles...)

face washes: penalize them

punches: penalize them

elbows: penalize them

fighting: sure, let them fight, but actually call the instigator penalty every single time a fight occurs... (or get rid of it... either one, but not this confusing mish-mash that exists now).

etc etc.

and don't always take the other player for "sportsmanlike conduct". that is so total bs.

let the players hit, and talk to each other all they want. but the second they wack away, throw elbows, or otherwise wrestle each other, penalize them. anything not in the actual whistle to whistle game, or besides the real rules, penalize them.

that would be a clear line, easy to follow for any player, any ref, and any fan. let them play the game rough, but enough of the stupid stuff that interferes with the game. then we still get the fast exciting game envisioned after the last lockout, and get rid of the stupid things that are byproducts.

in short: either call everything, or call nothing. you can't be in-between. NBA is a great game and they don't allow hooliganism...!! NHL can be better, but not the way it is now, to everyone it seems unfair sometimes, like a fix is in... even when it's not.

Archived