The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Devils to Keep 29th pick

Grape

Guest AriGold

Maybe they see huge potential in a late round draft pick in the 1st round.

I'm sure they have a good reason for the decision.

They should only keep their first if they trade down to draft Malcolm Subban. They might be able to trade Parise's rights for a 1st (might have to add each way) if he decides he wants to go elsewhere. When do the Devils have to announce their decision? I assume it would be before the draft and not just right before their pick.

P.S. Could they possibly keep the pick to spite the Kings?

Guest Dasein

Don't question Lou ... He will do whatever is best for his team regardless of what others' think and most of the time, he's right - his 3 Stanley Cup rings and 5 trips to the Finals prove it. One of the most underrated moves at the trade deadline this year that raised a lot of eyebrows and was ridiculed by many as overpayment was the Marek Zidlicky trade. That trade solidified the Devils' backend as a committee and that allowed them to get to the Finals.

Lamoriello might be eyeing a deep 1st round talent. Besides - you never know - I'm sure 99% of the people would much rather give up a top 10-15 draft pick from 2004 than give up the 25-30th pick in 2003. Every draft is different, and maybe next year's is very shallow in talent after MacKinnon.

Keeping this years pick makes sense for the Devils because they have a thin prospect poll and really need to improve. So it's wise for them to keep the pick and refill the cabinets.

I'm sure Lou thinks the team can go deep again next year and possible the year after, so gving up the pick next year or the following year eon't be a big deal.

Also there's the possibility the Devils are looking to offer sheet an RFA so they want to keep the pick.

Archived