The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big minute Defenseman

cmpunk

This years playoffs...

Doughty played 25:26 minutes per 60 minutes, Mitchell played 24:39, Scuderi 21:10.

Bieksa played 24:26 minutes per 60 minutes, Hamhuis played 24:04, Edler 23:58

Last year the minutes were very similar for these three Canucks with Ehrhoff playing around 22 minutes. What would we have said about elite defensemen winning cups if we managed one more win last year? An elite defensemen obviously helps but it is not a formula for Stanley Cup success.

Doughty did not play "huge" minutes. Their D was very good and I think Mitchell and Scuderi had as much influence as Doughty for the Kings. We really miss the big shutdown D man like Mitchell.

LA dominated fenwick and corsi in the playoffs. You manage to do that and then you'll find that your top defenders can play top minutes far more easily.

The injury to Malhotra last season eliminated our ability to dominate fenwick and corsi for the playoffs. That's why we were inevitably destroyed by Boston in the finals. We wore out Kesler and then our defense started getting picked off. Hodgson wasn't effective and the returning Malhotra was useless. This team is cursed. Cheers.

TOML

I still think being able to stay fit in what is a war of attrition is the real key. LA stayed fit AND had big enough bodies to wear other teams down. The Devils were spent by the last game, just as we were. Call it luck, call it not pushing yourself to the PT or call it .............whatever but the winners always "seem" more healthy at the end of the day. It helps if you are also not playing past the 4/5th game.

One thing those teams have in common also in terms of their big minute defenseman: THEY DRAFTED THE GUY.

Who the hell was our last defenseman we've drafted that we can say has honestly made a noticeable impact on the Canucks roster?

Edler. Eight years ago. That's some weak sht. And before him? Bieksa, a decade ago.

How about edler or Bieksa? are they not reliable enough?

Lets face some fact here, the nucks are deep at every position, this makes it so that in theory AV does not have to depend on one guy or another to carry the team. Hockey is a team sport, you have to be able to depand on every one of your guys to get the job done! This team doesn't work that way, it relies way to much on a few guys, Kes, the Sedins, Burr, Hammer, and once upon a time Luo, now all those key components of this team are in question as far as their heart and determination goes. If you want to use any of the excuses for why they are lossing like for example, "they are banged up", or The ran out of gas", or the offiating sucked", or "our key players weren't at their best", go ahead but the fact remains that this team doesn't have the guts that it takes to win it all!

I am a die hard Canucks fan but come on, the year before last was suposed to be the year, last year was to be the year and now everyone is saying next year, well unless we get some players who can dig deep within to find the extra will required to win, we will be here again next year saying these same things! This year was the most gutless effort i have ever seen from such a talented group, it will take much more that what we saw to get the cup, WAKE UP BOYS!!!!!!

The real issue with winning by committee is that you can't have a top 4 guy play like garbage, so this year that awards goes to Edler. Edler was awful this post season. I thought Hamhuis was great and everyone else was pretty so so. You can't have a weak link in this sort of strategy and we failed because of it.

It wasn't our only issue, but when talking about our D core, this is it. Will Edler become an actual star player or not? In my eyes he still can be, but this post season was a step back. Hopefully with an early exist that our guys get the extra rest and conditioning to push next season.

Please see the highlighted portion of a separate response of mine below. All those teams had a defensive player that put their premium offensive players in a position to score.

And for FTR, Marchand, nor Lucic can hold a hockey stick compared to Chara, Bergeron is close and Thomas his equal. NONE of those guys is as effective without Chara, who would be just as effective without them!

Your argument really only holds true with the Penguins amongst that list.

Are u for real?

Chara is Hammer in a 240, 250 lb body with the hardest shot in NHL recorded history (over 108 MPH), he fights (destroys) and has massive reach with his 6'9" body to get to pucks. He is routinely the most dominating player in every game he plays. If you watched hockey, or ever played a game against such an overwhelming physical player you would not ask?

But to answer you question; 3 time Norris finalist, and 2009 winner.

AND PS, Mike Fisher was Nashville's top centre, and Radulov (a wanker) was their most talented forward. How far would you go? Goes to show how good Weber might actually be!

What did Chara do prior to being on that stanley cup winning team?

A stud Dman is awesome but not the "secret" In all honesty there is no "secret" way of winning the cup. Look at how amazing Nashville did these playoffs and they had two stud defencemen. The forwards make the defence just as good as the defence makes the forwards, all i'm saying is that several talented forwards> a single stud defenceman.

LA had a solid top 6, they could have balanced their ice time out, but they didnt because Doughty is their go to guy in all situations. Doughty is a young guy that can handle big minutes. I think Hamhuis can is very capable of being our go to guy. Come playoff time Hamhuis has to be our guy. Being that Hamhuis has his regular d partner but may stay on the ice a bit longer and play with the other defensemen.

Are u for real?

Chara is Hammer in a 240, 250 lb body with the hardest shot in NHL recorded history (over 108 MPH), he fights (destroys) and has massive reach with his 6'9" body to get to pucks. He is routinely the most dominating player in every game he plays. If you watched hockey, or ever played a game against such an overwhelming physical player you would not ask?

But to answer you question; 3 time Norris finalist, and 2009 winner.

AND PS, Mike Fisher was Nashville's top centre, and Radulov (a wanker) was their most talented forward. How far would you go? Goes to show how good Weber might actually be!

Big minutes = reliable

Reliability to me is having a solid defensive mind and confidence with the puck which turns into few mistakes defensively while occasionally chipping in offensively. Hamhuis is the only defenceman we had that I would consider reliable last season (Salo's foot speed and age caught up to him, but even then he was second-most consistent). Edler, Bieksa, Ballard and Tanev were just as capable of making good plays as they were of making risky plays. None of them truly played well enough defensively to play the big minutes next to Hammer and it cost us. I hope this coming season sees an improvement in our defensive consistency, one way or the other.

Archived