The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG, look at the price of food in Nunavut (pics incl'd.)

I suggest you watch this 20 minute documentary from 2008.

Its in Grise Fjord, the super far north, way further than Iqaluit or whatever. Its so distant and inhospitable that the Inuit didn't even live there before the government relocated them there to assert Canadian sovereignty about 50 years ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8029326717498721902

Upon a few minutes of reflection, I would say compromise is in order. I think that if people in Nunavut want the rest of Canada to look for ways we can change our lives or make sacrifices in order to help them, then they must also be willing to look for ways they can change their lives or make sacrifices in order to improve the situation.

We can make things much easier on them in the form of subsidy, but they can also make sacrifices that will make subsidizing far less painful. I think that unless both sides are willing to give something up, this problem will never be solved. This may mean more subsidy going up north than some people are comfortable with, but it may also mean more natives relocating or reforming their lives than some are comfortable with.

Something still doesn't add up about this.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s2

You can mail a parcel with the apprximate dimensions of a case of pop for about $26. Which would bring the total price of having a Schwepps 12 pack being just over $30. Where is the $80 price tag coming from? Even at $26 for transportation via Canada post, surely there are cheaper options. There has to be a way to get a 12 pack of gingerale up there for under $20. Maybe these prices are only in a specific community during a major snow storm when there is no transportation in or out of the community. In which case, they don't reflect general pricing as a whole.

Something still doesn't add up about this.

http://www.canadapos...?execution=e1s2

You can mail a parcel with the apprximate dimensions of a case of pop for about $26. Which would bring the total price of having a Schwepps 12 pack being just over $30. Where is the $80 price tag coming from? Even at $26 for transportation via Canada post, surely there are cheaper options. There has to be a way to get a 12 pack of gingerale up there for under $20. Maybe these prices are only in a specific community during a major snow storm when there is no transportation in or out of the community. In which case, they don't reflect general pricing as a whole.

You only need plants in heavily populated areas and you only need protection laws if the water is being supplied to you. It's not a very industrialized island to say the least.

Nothing is stopping you from going and getting it yourself.

A person could easily collect, thaw, treat and store water for a fraction of the cost of bottled water and it would be pretty much assured of being a lot more pure.

You don't think living in Nunavut is sacrifice enough?Seriously, I think the natives have relocated and sacrificed enough already. How well did it work last time we asked Natives to relocate to say residential schools or reserves?

I doubt it. They have heated dwellings. 100L doesn't take up that much room.

Plus you only need to thaw temporarily to purify it. You can store it frozen.

Edit/ I understand what you're trying to say with the juice analogy but it doesn't hold when we are talking money of that magnitude. Humans NEED to drink litres of water a day to stay alive. It's readily available outside a few measily kms away. The system and ancillary costs would pay for themselves in months.

Archived