The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2012/2013 is our year!

klosetotheheart

Worry not Canucks fans!

I feel as though the early exit this year will provide this team with the much needed motivation for the grind that is the stanley cup playoffs.

The motivation that in my opinion, it looked like we did not have this year for what could be any number of reasons. More then likely it was because of a very very long run that we came up just short.

I think that mentally the Canucks were exhausted by the time the playoffs came around this year.

So with the Sedins training hard all offseason(as per tradition) and a returning cast all hungrier then ever, I think we have a better shot then almost anyone for next year.

Hopefully GMMG can add a bit of size in a top 4 dman and a top 6 forward. I think if we can do that we are once again the favourites of the Western Conference.

so... basicly... LETS GO NUCKS!

We didn't just lose game 7 of the Stanley Cup, we lost it in our own barn. That is an extremely tough pill to swallow. They were caught off guard by LA this year and by the tiome they woke up, it was too late.

I love the OP's optomism though... if we could get some major assets from trading one of our star goalies, you never know!?!

I agree with you that they were mentally exhausted this year and thats the reason we struggled from January on. Matter of fact i saw interviews with two players who stated that they were mentally tired but felt okay physically. They have had a long offseason to rest up and hopefully gmmg is able to tweak our lineup a bit (take care of goalie situation, raymond issue and ballard)

I think there will be a cup on the horizon in 2013

I think there is more hope for next year than there was for this last year (using my 20/20 Hindsight powers). Even though we still won the Presidents Trophy, the players were, admittedly, mentally exhausted and in no way ready for another lengthy playoff run. Now with a lengthy offseason to recuperate, and hopefully a few new pieces to the puzzle, the players should be able to make another push.

AV had the team to focused in the regular season and didn't prep well for the playoffs. He was mixing and playing random lines in the playoffs without testing then in the reg season. It was almost like the playoffs are here already... Let's try this. I hope he makes adjustments this year to how he preps for the playoffs.

The nucks are not going to win the cup because they do not have what LA, BOS, NJ, all have and that is.................................HEART and a KILLER INSTINCT!

In short this team doesn't have the fortitude or the desire riquired to win, if they did we would have won it all last year, and mabey even this year, like i have said before.....on paper this team is a cup winner!

On the ice it is not!

If MG can wake up and see that we need a couple of big rugged wingers like Weise, Carcillo, S.Thornton, ect.... we will be just a good team and we will never reach greatness. Just like Don Cherry and Kelly Hrudy (typo) have said "every team guages their success by the play offs and how many cups they have" I would say that Van has had decent play off success but not great, so hopefully MG will wake up this year, make the right changes, and get us to GREAT!!!!

I love the OP's optimism, and I always share in the hope that next year is going to be better than the one that just passed.

Now that we're over the emotional scars of being ousted in five games in the first round, I have some concerns that I think need to be addressed:

(1) AV's comments about being "caught off guard" by Daniel's injury troubles me. The notion that there were no Plans B and C during the preparation phase shows lack of foresight and proper planning entering the playoffs, and clearly exposed the team's lack of scoring depth. A team so dependent on one or two players to deal with any situation is not one that I would bet on to win the Cup.

(2) Lack of multi-dimensional players on the roster. Since Linden of the 1994 Cup run and Kesler of 2011 second round vs. Predators, I don't remember seeing a complete player on the Canucks roster. My opinion is that the Canucks need to add individuals with size, skill, and grit (all in one package vs. interchangeable parts) to the roster. And yes, I recognize that finding these types of players are easier said than done.

(3) Limited number of players at the very peak of their playing careers on the roster. The only player who is in his prime is arguably Hamhuis...looks like the Sedins and Luongo are teeing off on the 11th or 12th teebox of their careers, and Kesler/Edler are on the 7th or 8th teebox (and if their injuries are not so debilitating should be entering their prime within the next season or two).

(4) The team's collective maturity. I remember Salo commenting about how the team needs to be more mature after they were ousted by the Hawks in 2010, and after watching Kesler, Burrows, and a few others flop around against the Kings in the first round, I wonder just how much more mature the Canucks, as a group, are today than they were a few years ago. It seems like when adversity strikes the team, the players revert back to their bad habits of diving and complaining to the officials.

(5) Too many soft, minor penalties the team, especially the Sedins, seem to take. I suppose it's tough to ask the team to play tougher, which results in minor penalties and complain about after it happens, but it would be good to see the Sedins play their game, as opposed to having them respond to the cheapshots they have to take and to have players in the lineup to address the abuse they take.

There's no doubt we have a competitive team and will be in the playoff hunt for 2012-13 (maybe even a conference finalist). However, I think we are more of a pretender than a contender at this point in time.

Here's hoping for a successful off-season and return to full health for Kesler (hip/shoulder), Edler (hand/fingers), Daniel and Burrows (coconut), Henrik (foot), Bieksa (abdomen), etc.

Archived