Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Not so Fast Phoenix!

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

After being warned by a judge not to proceed with the vote in the Glendale city council... and doing it anyways... now the Goldwater institute is suing to cancel the vote results.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398303

Edited by Provost, 13 June 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#2 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hopefully that is the final nail in the coffin.

Jets vs. Nordiques, 2012/2013 Stanley Cup Final

:emot-parrot: :towel: :emot-parrot:

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

with Seattle getting Steve Ballmer (MS CEO) and Eric and Peter Nordstrom (owners of Nordstroms) as backers of their bid to build their arena and bring in teams, I think they just shot in front of Quebec as far as next NHL team location.

http://www.kval.com/...-158888615.html

Edited by avelanch, 13 June 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#4 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

with Seattle getting Steve Ballmer (MS CEO) and Eric and Peter Nordstrom (owners of Nordstroms) as backers of their bid to build their arena and bring in teams, I think they just shot in front of Quebec as far as next NHL team location.

http://www.kval.com/...-158888615.html

You clearly are under the misapprehension that the NHL is governed based on common sense and good business practices. If this group has done anything to bruise the ego of the NHL brass, then who cares what sort of finances they have behind them.

It is just as likely that Bettman's current plans are to bring franchises to New Mexico and Arkansas...

#5 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I hope Seattle gets a team. That would be pretty sick

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I want Seattle to get a team too. I get another team to cheer for! But first the NBA better bring the Sonics back

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#7 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

You clearly are under the misapprehension that the NHL is governed based on common sense and good business practices. If this group has done anything to bruise the ego of the NHL brass, then who cares what sort of finances they have behind them.

It is just as likely that Bettman's current plans are to bring franchises to New Mexico and Arkansas...

They truly are hell bent for leather on getting this deal done in Glendale. Lawsuits be damned! When a judge questions a cities intentions, you have to wonder how far this will go before this agreement gets nixed. Yet Bettman and his merry men will continue the course, and you're probably right, the next stop will indeed be SantaFe.
Seattle getting all the people lined up is a very good sign, at the very least the NBA should be back, and with them needing another tenant to get more bond backing, the NHL would/should be a slam dunk.

#8 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

They truly are hell bent for leather on getting this deal done in Glendale. Lawsuits be damned! When a judge questions a cities intentions, you have to wonder how far this will go before this agreement gets nixed. Yet Bettman and his merry men will continue the course, and you're probably right, the next stop will indeed be SantaFe.
Seattle getting all the people lined up is a very good sign, at the very least the NBA should be back, and with them needing another tenant to get more bond backing, the NHL would/should be a slam dunk.

They would have to be answering some tough questions about losing millions operating the franchise and it being relocated... I suspect that they would like to avoid that more than they would really like to keep a franchise n Phoenix.

Something doesn't add up with how fast the Thrashers moved compared with all the obstacles for Phoenix.

#9 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

The never ending saga called the Phoenix Coyotes continues - it just goes to show you how inept Bettman is at being in charge of this league. is he not a lawyer and did he not see this coming. I for one hope the Goldwater Insitute puts the final nail in the coffin and this team can move onto brighter pastures - whether it be Qubec City, Seattle, hell Portland or even La Vegas
14ki2wz.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck for the awesome sig :)

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I laughed and then got a little sad when I realized how true it is.
Posted Image

#11 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

They would have to be answering some tough questions about losing millions operating the franchise and it being relocated... I suspect that they would like to avoid that more than they would really like to keep a franchise n Phoenix.

Something doesn't add up with how fast the Thrashers moved compared with all the obstacles for Phoenix.

I'm really wondering how Bettman manages to explain this to the NHL BoG's. Owning a team, that loses money, and still gets a broke and desperate city to fork over $25M to keep a franchise. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

#12 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Sad but true.
Bettman must have a mistress in Phoenix. Hard to explain monthly road trip to Phoenix when they have no team.

Ms Bettman "Gary how come you gotta go to Phoenix again?"
Gary "Goin golfing honey"
Ms Bettman "But Gary you don't golf"
Gary "Uhhhh errr Uhhhh"

#13 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

More negative press as ammunition for contract talks?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#14 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I laughed and then got a little sad when I realized how true it is.

On the plus side... I would love to see the promotions for the new Arkansas Hillbillies NHL franchise.... 2 for 1 tickets if your wife is also your cousin!

#15 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Sad but true.
Bettman must have a mistress in Phoenix. Hard to explain monthly road trip to Phoenix when they have no team.

Ms Bettman "Gary how come you gotta go to Phoenix again?"
Gary "Goin golfing honey"
Ms Bettman "But Gary you don't golf"
Gary "Uhhhh errr Uhhhh"

Is Gary Bettman Mayor Quimby by any chance?
Cause that would explain a bunch...
Posted Image

#16 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

ownership in Sacramento and Phoenix have been such as mess the last few years, and everyone, including the cities, leagues, commissioners, and interested parties are all going about their business so poorly. I still can't believe both the Kings and Coyotes haven't been moved to Seattle yet.

In my mind the moves that make sense are:
-relocate coyotes and kings to Seattle.
-expand NBA to Kansas city + St. Louis
-expand NHL to Quebec + Portland

instant moneys!
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#17 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Awarding a publicly-funded, $15 million per year "arena management contract" without bidding or due process just reeks of corrupt use of taxpayers' money.

I can't figure out why they thought this would fly, especially with Goldwater all over them already.
Posted Image

#18 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Awarding a publicly-funded, $15 million per year "arena management contract" without bidding or due process just reeks of corrupt use of taxpayers' money.

I can't figure out why they thought this would fly, especially with Goldwater all over them already.

Gary Bettman wants this too happen so badly, last year it was Hulsizer during the playoffs, this season its Jamison during the playoffs..... only one problem, the arena. That's a pretty big problem.

#19 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

I am curious, by what date this must be resolved by before the team is announced relocated or under ownership by the league for another year?

PS. I am picturing Bettman pacing around his mansion going...

"F***, F***, SH**, F***! Now what the F*** are we going to do? "

...and smiling tremendously.

Edited by knoxdown, 13 June 2012 - 01:55 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#20 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Really hope the NHL stops with the bill crap and moves a few teams to Canada and the northern parts of the US. A team in Seattle would be epic!

#21 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I also find it stunning... but not out of character. I recall a press conference sometime during this mess (I think with the Ballsillie stuff) where Bettman was saying (I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact quote) "We get to run our business as we see fit and do not feel that we have to explain ourselves to outside parties regarding our internal discussions:"

He does not see the irony about begging various levels of government for tax subsidies, grants, and outright gifts of money and or entirely built stadiums in order to keep their "business" afloat.... at the same time as stating that sort of thing. I even recall him chiding government about not giving special tax breaks when the Canadian teams were struggling due to the currency disparity.

Hey, if you want to run your business as a closed book with zero transparency... go wild. Once you start getting public money, you don't get to do that anymore. ESPECIALLY when there is plenty of money rolling around in the NHL to keep EVERY team healthy without public dollars if they instituted a reasonable revenue sharing/luxury tax system.

#22 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Gary Bettman wants this too happen so badly, last year it was Hulsizer during the playoffs, this season its Jamison during the playoffs..... only one problem, the arena. That's a pretty big problem.

The problem he had over the last few years was two teams in Dire Straights (Atlanta, Phoenix), and only one place he could move them to (Winnipeg), Atlanta wouldn't be fooled by his phantom owner game and fall into his extortion racket, Glendale was and still is, so the Thrashers were moved, once new arena's and REAL owners appear in other cities, the charades will end and so will the Coyotes stay in the desert.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#23 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

The Seattle Shane Doans
Posted Image

#24 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I want Seattle to get a team too. I get another team to cheer for! But first the NBA better bring the Sonics back

I live in Seattle! But I would still cheer for the Canucks, but I would be able to go to the new arena and see the Vancouver kick the buts of Seattle.

A couple blocks away from my house is a Seahawks player, and 5 blocks away are two Mariners players. You never know, Torres could be my neighbor!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#25 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

The Seattle Shane Doans

The Seattle First US Teams To Win the Stanley Cups. Has a nice ring to it.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#26 ace_blazer

ace_blazer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

#27 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

On the plus side... I would love to see the promotions for the new Arkansas Hillbillies NHL franchise.... 2 for 1 tickets if your wife is also your cousin Sister..fixed it for you!

#28 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm really wondering how Bettman manages to explain this to the NHL BoG's. Owning a team, that loses money, and still gets a broke and desperate city to fork over $25M to keep a franchise. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

I think its simply a matter of "I will fight for your franchise to the bitter end". I hate what is going on right now in Phoenix, but I also remember a time when Vancouver wasn't considered a fantastic market either.

Remember that we lost Winnipeg and Quebec on the grounds that they were terrible markets losing money (as mandated by the NHLPA), that really didn't turn out well in the end and the BoG has been sour grapes on that issue ever since. I think a lot of bad blood formed then, the PA saw a chance to quickly bring in more revenue to the league (aka, the poor teams are gone, lets raise player salaries!) without considering long term consequences.

Bottom line, the BoG thought that the markets in 'peg and Qb were given up on too easily, so they found a guy who was willing to fight till the bitter end to keep existing markets going, they probably didn't foresee the Phoenix situation when they made that call, but that isn't really Gary's fault. To be fair, it would probably be easier for the NHL ownership to eat the losses in Phoenix for 20 years straight then it would be for them to give up on the Southern US only to find out 20 years down the road they could have made it work and made billions off of it.

Bettman is still a dbag though, haha.
Posted Image

#29 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

On the plus side... I would love to see the promotions for the new Arkansas Hillbillies NHL franchise.... 2 for 1 tickets if your wife is also your cousin!

so everyone gets 2 for 1 tickets?

#30 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,856 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Here's the ranking of TV markets, and possible future and available locations for context:

Seattle- Tacoma: 12th (Houston 10th, Detroit 11th)
Phoenix: 13th
Portland: 22nd (St. Louis is 21, Pittsburgh is 23rd)
Kansas City 31st (Nashville 29, Hartford 30th)

Personally Seattle or Portland looks to be the best options. Yes it would be nice to see a team in Quebec City or a 2nd team in Ontario. I really don't see why Bettman is fighting tooth and nail to keep the team in Phoenix.

http://www.sportstvj...-sizes-dma.html

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 17 June 2012 - 02:04 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.